gig discussion, please read and give opinion (2 Viewers)

Trying to get in free whil having a bag of cans is a bit insulting. no money to get in but money for cans?
but yes,telling the freeloaders to fuck off would be the most sensible thing to do. Maybe people are concerned with it turning into trouble,isn't that why no one says anything on the night when they see cans being poured in plain view?

jimbobjones said:
This is a great thread!
I remember havin a big discussion awhile back with Steo Doyle about flyers for gigs (he was against them). Personally speaking i think flyers for gigs are a very important part of the culture of d.i.y. gigs, and sadly its kinda dyin off. i love pickin up flyers for gigs and then stickin them on me wall so ill remember when the gig is on otherwise chances are ill forget about it. if i liked the gig and the flyer ill keep the flyer either on another wall or as a bookmark or something. of course these days the shaggers in the record shops dont let you leave flyers around (along with not havin space for zines), so thats abit of a problem. also for people travellin about and visitin a place, thet're not gonna be familiar with the local most popular web forum so wont find the 'scene'.
i remember me and liadain landed in fucking....swansea i think it was with nothing to do and not knowing anybody there, and by chance found a flyer for a punk gig (lying on the footpath...maybe littering would be a new way to distribute??) and went along, which was pretty cool. it was a shit gig but that's not the point...

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Trying to get in free whil having a bag of cans is a bit insulting. no money to get in but money for cans?
but yes,telling the freeloaders to fuck off would be the most sensible thing to do. Maybe people are concerned with it turning into trouble,isn't that why no one says anything on the night when they see cans being poured in plain view?
yeah but i was saying i didn't think people were necessarily coming along with cans and expecting to get in for free....if they are then fuck em
sometimes people do say things like, don't be so fucking obvious, don't do that here etc. i saw some lad leave his empty can on top of a rubbish bag right outside the door of the lower deck last time i was there, but it was some guy i didn't know with a group of his mates, i assumed i'd be told to fuck off and laughed at if i said don't leave that there.

nooly said:
i bring cans but i don't try to get in for free. in fact the main reason i go to gigs is to support whoever's putting it on

But how could doing something which might put the future use of a venue at risk be considered supporting the promoter?

i'd just like to re-iterate that having no money is more than understandable sometimes, and doesnt automatically mean someones a freeloader. people that have done nothing but be helpful and supportive have arrived without money on occassion, and i dont see that as a reason to be angry. as you probably know, but i'll say anyway just so no one gets offended, that when im talking about people being bad about money, its not an inclusive, just a comment on certain situations(less black and white)

i will say that the people posting up here at the moment who are incredibly helpful and have great ideas, are not the people who come up to me and whinge about price while begrudgingly counting there change.(and perhaps are not aware of the people who do it). this is the situation that most upsets me, because there is no sense in giving the person on the door a guilt trip when your handing over pocket change to see bands you may really enjoy. neither are they the people that say things to me like "7euros....fucks sake etc" concerning other peoples gigs when its the sake of a euro. like its a massive injustice.

p.s niall, do you have any more info/contacts for the mentioned venues? pm them to me if you dont want to put it on forum
thank you for giveing the names

the pyrate dead said:
i will say that the people posting up here at the moment who are incredibly helpful and have great ideas, are not the people who come up to me and whinge about price while begrudgingly counting there change.(and perhaps are not aware of the people who do it). this is the situation that most upsets me, because there is no sense in giving the person on the door a guilt trip when your handing over pocket change to see bands you may really enjoy. neither are they the people that say things to me like "7euros....fucks sake etc" concerning other peoples gigs when its the sake of a euro. like its a massive injustice.

I look at it really simply, if you're the person sitting at the door and someone is saying "blah blah no money etc." then you just say "It's £4 in. You can either pay it or get out. It's up to you." No need to feel guilty!

Cormcolash said:
I look at it really simply, if you're the person sitting at the door and someone is saying "blah blah no money etc." then you just say "It's £4 in. You can either pay it or get out. It's up to you." No need to feel guilty!

Aye but people would put you on a guilt trip for somehting like that though which isnt nice but it happens. THough I really dont understand people who have the nerve to actually say they cant pay in and still try go. I just would be totally embarassed to do that.

I usually presume the price it says on the posters and other advertising is the price it costs to get in. This means I bring that amount with me,no less. If I don't have enough money,I stay home.

Ciaran Mackle said:
Aye but people would put you on a guilt trip for somehting like that though which isnt nice but it happens. THough I really dont understand people who have the nerve to actually say they cant pay in and still try go. I just would be totally embarassed to do that.

That's what I'm saying Mackle, anyone tries to put a guilt trip on, just tell them to fuck off. What have I got to feel guilty about? £4 in or off you go.

Cormcolash said:
That's what I'm saying Mackle, anyone tries to put a guilt trip on, just tell them to fuck off. What have I got to feel guilty about? £4 in or off you go.

Yeh I understand, I just know if it was me in the situation I would probably end up crumbling after being made feel like the worst person in the world and I am sure I am not the only person. It's just not sound at all putting the pressure on someone to let you in for free.

If people didnt drink as much maybe they could afford to pay in. Just get water instead of having a few pints

pete said:
See, now this I just don't get.
i like to drink, i don't like to pay 27 instead of 7 euro for 6 pints. i don't generally sneak drink into the venue, i go to the canal or nearby if it's the lower deck, the stands if it's bohs. it's a simple yet elegant arrangement. darting wild glances around a bar while you pour shitty beer all over your knees under the table isn't that much fun anyway.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I usually presume the price it says on the posters and other advertising is the price it costs to get in. This means I bring that amount with me,no less. If I don't have enough money,I stay home.
Simple but accurate analysis.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:

proof the nordy school system (particularly the maths teaching) is much better then down here

nooly said:
i like to drink, i don't like to pay 27 instead of 7 euro for 6 pints. i don't generally sneak drink into the venue, i go to the canal or nearby if it's the lower deck, the stands if it's bohs. it's a simple yet elegant arrangement. darting wild glances around a bar while you pour shitty beer all over your knees under the table isn't that much fun anyway.

Now this i can relate to, although in my day it was the back of the westbury then onwards to Bruxelles.

What I don't get is the selfishness of people who'd bring a rucksack full of cans into a bar (paying customer or not) then expect the management not to notice or expect no repercussions for the promoter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back