gig discussion, please read and give opinion (1 Viewer)

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
Maybe I should become a teacher.

If a young krusty busks on the street and makes €7.28 then later buys four cans for €1.10 each and later tries at 10.20 to get into a gig which charges admission of €4 at 8pm and €1 extra each hour after, how short is s/he or the door admission children?

Carlow Punks! said:
If a young krusty busks on the street and makes €7.28 then later buys four cans for €1.10 each and later tries at 10.20 to get into a gig which charges admission of €4 at 8pm and €1 extra each hour after, how short is s/he or the door admission children?

the answer to this will be part of the admission to the next Oak gig. It will not however give any discount to the door price.

nooly said:
€3.12 but i used a calculator. what kind of half-assed crusty only drinks 4 cans in a night anyway?

I was trying to keep it simple for you all, its past midnight and I've snuck cans into my bedroom.

Actually the correct answer = "GET THE FUCK OUT OF IT, YA CHANCER!"

yet again, i do think that those with not ALL the admission price(though that is actually probably not a real situation in dublin at the moment, even the dole gives a fair bit....but debts and rent days etc do happen) should still go to the gig, give a donation, offer to help, and still be welcome and not embarrased. the point is that people should prioritise their money, if they still dont have any, fair enough, but it they know themselves that they do have money and they are just being scabby, THEN its not ok.

the pyrate dead said:
yet again, i do think that those with not ALL the admission price(though that is actually probably not a real situation in dublin at the moment, even the dole gives a fair bit....but debts and rent days etc do happen) should still go to the gig, give a donation, offer to help, and still be welcome and not embarrased. the point is that people should prioritise their money, if they still dont have any, fair enough, but it they know themselves that they do have money and they are just being scabby, THEN its not ok.

I'd reckon this is up to the promoters discression, if you know someone is genuinely having a bad week but loves the band and is usually really supportive, or is just a chancer or freeloader or what ever you name you want to throw in there. In fairness its not just the crusties either, I remember a few occasions in previous years of helping out at the door randomers, never people accustomed to DIY gig organising I'd guess, getting in for cheap or free (because I was a wuss and caved) then going straight to the bar. Now I'd ask them to leave, then I was young and nervous. What ever happened to all your mates chipping in a euro to cover your entry on the weeks you were skint, or is that just one less can for them?

yeah i don't know where all this crusty-bashing is coming from either, it's not like there's even that many 'crusties' around and i don't think any of them are the types to try to scab into a gig. scab your beer, yes...

the donations jar for people who don't mind giving a few extra euro is a great idea as well, apart from extra $$$ you could point to it when people try to blag in and say 'look, it's not expensive, other people even paid extra, now pay up or fuck off you stingy prick'. of course what would probably happen would be they'd say well then you have extra money so you can afford to let me in for free...

I can't imagine there's any room for anyone to argue over the door price at the door. Just doesn't make sense to me. If the reason people are afraid to raise the price of gigs is for the sake of some prick who'll argue the toss over a fiver to get into the gig, then drink a load of cans.... Such a non issue to me. BUT i've not put on a gig in years so...

I think it's more along the lines of their scared to scare of the casual gig goer who if price is €7 or more mite say aaahhh fuck I'll stay in and get a few cans and watch TOTP2 on UK Gold :/
It's a very fine wire to tread, my own idea is €6 for the local bands and €8 for the same type of touring bands and €10 for the "bigger" touring bands as they will draw a big crowd attending away.
Maybe have some free badges/arm band type stuff for the people that donate something "extra" as well, I like badges etc, I put them on my Fishermans hat :heart: :heart: :heart:

the pyrate dead said:

maybe someone should give a workshop on how to manage your money, living within your means, etc?

maybe another one on interview tips and putting a cv together might help too

i jest

GORILLAMUNCH said:
maybe someone should give a workshop on how to manage your money, living within your means, etc?

maybe another one on interview tips and putting a cv together might help too

i jest

And how to buy smokes.........

nooly said:
i remember me and liadain landed in fucking....swansea i think it was with nothing to do and not knowing anybody there, and by chance found a flyer for a punk gig (lying on the footpath...maybe littering would be a new way to distribute??) and went along, which was pretty cool. it was a shit gig but that's not the point...
fucking hell, that was a long time ago. and we had a two-woman circle pit in the car park after.

re: gigs and stuff.. i think i've been to about four gigs in the last year that i wasn't playing at. i'm starting to go to a few more now though, and i would totally go for:
*gigs starting at the time they say they'll start
*the donations jar idea - i think €6 is cheap as hell for a gig that has say four bands playing at it, be they touring bands or otherwise.
*not getting rid of flyers and posters.

I think posters are really important, if you arrive in Dublin looking for a gig or 'the punks' I've no idea how you'd find either. I've answered some mails sent to the indymedia list in the last few years from people looking for punk gigs, totally unable to find them.
Maybe eirecore is hard to find or to figure out... Should be easy now with the stickies.
Anyways, it would be cool if you could poster everywhere, lamposts and all, and I know you cant, but maybe it would be possible to do some stencils or posters that said - 'looking for punk gigs?' and links to this website (or whatever website has stuff).
Just an idea.
Anyways the reason I dont go to gigs much anymore actually is money, although I stopped drinking at gigs a while ago but the more broke I get...:eek:
I get paid at the end of the month apparently, so I'll be back.

I also think it's a really good idea to poster suburbs, hardly anywhere in town takes posters, but windows of drycleaners and newsagents and stuff in the suburbs could get some new people in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back