gig discussion, please read and give opinion (1 Viewer)

the pyrate dead said:
where do people think should be postered?

i have come to a realisation that to look apealing to people from outside our little clique, its usefull to have eye catching colour posters, which unfortunately cost almost a euro each. i need to figure out key spots where these will be used to full advantage. also there just isnt time to go around everyday, college/work etc. continual repostering is a good idea, but above and beyond the call of duty of any normal person.

sometimes repostering is the only choice that and threating the micro media people youll punch em in the head.if they cover your posters again.(this used to work)

id give posters to friends who work in town they can put them up on their way to work,on lunch or after work.id often do this for people when i worked in the centre it felt good to help people out and isnt much hassle.

GARYXKNIFEDX said:
I think the most important issue to be addressed is how to get more NEW people coming to gigs.
I'm really trying to hold back on a rambling rant on this.
Thats the whole point of forums Gaz, I am sure Karen started this thread so everyone gives out their opinions, warts/rants and all.......honest discussion surely is the way to progress/find solutions.

posters: don't give in to the internet. posters are cool. it might be an idea to form a network of friends/well wishers who live/work/frequent in different parts of the city and get them to lash up posters and flyers. i'll do ucd for what it's worth for the rest of term. there's loads of people in collages and universities on this board and i'm sure there's plenty of people who are always buzzin' round town with half an hour to spare. people could volunteer to do it and arrange to pick up the posters for a future gig at one that's on sooner.

prices: while the price we pay for gigs is fuck all i reckon a blanket price-rise in the price of gigs would perhaps not have the desired effect. as already pointed out there's young people with fuck all money who can't afford more. but also there's some people who haven't got a load of dosh and like it or not they might always buy cans on a sat night. i'd say the idea of 6 before 9:30 and 7/8 after might be the way to go. also, some people have more money than others or can afford an extra euro or two some weeks so i reckon a donation jar might be a goer if people get it into their heads that promoters are finding it hard to make ends meet.

cans: jaysus, it seems to be a constant battle asking people to stop being pricks and bring their fucking cans home with them. it's even more annoying if there's fucking loads of cans and promoters or whoever end up picking them up themselves. i think if there were more people telling can droppers that it's not on then less people would do it. perhaps a wall of shame on eirecore where people could stick up photos of offenders :D okay, maybe not.

I thought the higher price after 9 was an excellent idea. No one ever shows up early enough. But as someone said, it can usually be attributed to the fact that gigs at lot of the time don't start until nearly 10.

I agree with Janer as he has said again and again about the shit (or not inkeeping with the bands of the night) music that's played in between bands. It's completely pointless imo and will drive more people outside than anything else. On a similar note I really dislike these genre mixing gigs of late. I know this is only my personal preference, and that some people do like it, but I can't see the attraction of any more than two types of music at a gig.

I'd say getting new people to come to gigs is probably the biggest and hardest problem. I personally never look at posters around town. I really only use the net for it. But I'd say the best bet would be to give out flyers at bigger gigs, or outside bigger gigs.

Genre mixing is good,with so many gigs happening and so few people to go to them,if gigs are broken up into different genres then the "scene" will split up with it. Not really something that is needed at the minute.
Also,all us lot in bands are probably guilty of for the most part,playing gigs with our mates bands(promoters can help here too). We should definately try and play with different bands,wether it be genre or group of friends or whatever.. Maybe that's a small thing that can help towards bringing in more people.

And as for posters. Any and all methods of promotion,when affordable,should be used. There is no point on relying on the same old methods. Put posters up definately,maybe try and be a bit more creative with where? I usually see posters in record,/music shops and cafe's etc. Are there other places anyone could suggest worth trying?
Put posts up on as many message boards as possible,and don't leave it until the last minute. Use any excuse to get a mention in. Even if your not involved help with hyping up gigs you see mentioned elswhere.
Why not try giving flyers to kids spotted around town? I'm sure someone amongst them might be interested. And if they do show up,don't make them feel unwelcome. It's a small close knit community this little punk scene we live in. And it's very easy to feel like everyone's looking at you i'm sure.

Just about the unwelcome bit. The first gig I went to was the Harry Callaghan weekend, I got there early and was just sitting down and Conor was dead sound and started talking to me and me mate and then we just helped lug stuff around. I found everyone was dead sound and easy to talk to.

OLP said:
Just about the unwelcome bit. The first gig I went to was the Harry Callaghan weekend, I got there early and was just sitting down and Conor was dead sound and started talking to me and me mate and then we just helped lug stuff around. I found everyone was dead sound and easy to talk to.

People like to think they can be welcoming but it doesn't always seem to be the case. At least from what I've heard/seen mention of elswhere. Sometimes it is and sometimes it isn't,I suppose it just depends on the gig and probably the turnout.

this might be a good place to pool resources - I always poster:
road, city discs, carbon recs in urban outfitters, cornucopia, secret book and record store, sabotage and some clothes shops in georges st arcade (retro is one) and I know anseo take posters too. And obviously the venue you're using as well. In terms of message boards and sites I do thumped, eirecore, boards.ie, cluas, bodytonic (if it's appropriate) and I'll usually do some students union ones too in the week before - UCD, DCU and Trinity, Maynooth's student forum seems to be gone. Listings sites - entertainment.ie, event guide, hotpress.

Anyone else got any other suggestions? Always looking for new places to flog hiveminds wares.

Just wondering if there is any point at all in trying to promote these gigs outside the capital, it'd probably just be a compelte waste of time but it could show to other people that there's a good punk scene going on in Dublin and might encourage people to go?

Another idea that could be worthwhile is if the promoter could put an ad in an independent magazines. I remember picking up this small comic in Eager Beaver in TempleBar and it could be a great medium to put an ad in about a gig. The comic was free as well so a good few people would be picking it up.

pretty sure people have mentioned sending listings in to some magazines in the past. Rarely did they get printed. Maybe people who have tried this can confirm it.
Advertising gigs outside of dublin would probably rely on the gigs finishing in time for last buses etc

I'm considering hiring these guys to get people to go to gigs.

117-gunmen-lg.jpg

DuncheeKnifed said:
also, some people have more money than others or can afford an extra euro or two some weeks so i reckon a donation jar might be a goer if people get it into their heads that promoters are finding it hard to make ends meet.
I like this idea. Being a "working man" *cough spit* i'd have no problem throwing my admissions change into a donations jar every now and then, specially if the place is half empty (so people would see it and think i was cool, like). Mate of mine only started coming to punk gigs this year, can't believe how cheap the gigs are, not in a "it's e15 to get into gigs in the roisin, it's cool that these are so cheap" type way, more "it's e6 to see latterman? And they're over from the US? Who's making money there? Fuckin nobody". That's not an attack on Dan by the way, it's same as he and everyone else is saying, gigs need to cost more.

I've being trying to not get involved as if people are going to the bother of doing things then it should be applauded but you did ask. Firstly, I reckon you should go with what you fell is best. Do a gig that you want not what me or anyone else on this forum asks for. If we like the way you do things then we'll go along anyway.

the pyrate dead said:
time-how come people dont come out any earlier than 10 or so? the first band playing are rarely watched, the first bands can often be the most interesting ones that you probably havnt seen before? what is thought of the different price for after 9?

Decide on what time is required and fit bands in accordingly. State on the flier/poster/thread that gig starts at Xpm sharp and stick to it. Personally I much prefer when gigs end around 11. if i know a band won't be playing until 12 then chances are i won't go. 3 kids have done this to me. I also feel that people who put on gigs don't really think about the people who pay in. It's as if we'll put up with whatever just to see some live music.

the pyrate dead said:
money-what do people think about prices? in my humble opinion, they need to go up for touring bands,

If you are putting on the gig then you decide. The way I see it is that we expect bands to write songs for themselves so why should we expect people puting on the gigs to not do likewise. What do you think is a fair price? Don't think about what people would pay in judge it by what you think is right? Somebody mentioned a three tier pricing structure which was a nice idea but you knoiw what just put on the gig the way you feel right.

the pyrate dead said:
Does this need a response? It seems so obvious that people shouldn't bring and drink cans into gigs. if you're putting on a gig and you see someone doing this then go up and ask them to be responsible and either stop or hide the damn things!

the pyrate dead said:
posters etc-what ways do people think gigs should be advertised?
or is the internet our only tool here?
does the look of a poster/flyer effect your opinion if you dont know the bands?
Name and shame. Don't just accept that it's ok for people to cover up your posters. put it on the genral forum of thumped and change this practice. Posters and fliers are necessary. Don't just put a post up on a thread in a widely used internet forum. You won't catch everyone. Putting posters/fliers up at a similar type of events definitely help. Look of a poster doesn't matter to me personally.

the pyrate dead said:
lastly, and i hope this wont be taken in a negative way at all, cause its not ment in one, but with the beginning of a fortnightly club, if a touring band contacts someone and has only the friday available in dublin, and there was a club/gig the night before...not critisising at all, just wondering if people have considered how hard two gig weeks are to both attend as a spectator or to promote, should this be worried about or am i reading to much into things? (i am however delighted that there will be a regular good night out, nice one for coming together on that!)
I must admit that I now pick and choose nights as I have a family to hang out with as well. There's so much going on that it's practically impossible to go to everything. Apologies for the long rant!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back