gig discussion, please read and give opinion (3 Viewers)

People postering over your posters is fucking scummy. I've always only covered posters for gigs that are over. Why would you fuck someone over like that?

kind of related.I'm going to be blunt about this,I don't care who takes offence to it:
Crusties - particularly travelling crusties (you know who you are),if you fancy drinking a bottle of wine and standing in the freezing cold like a muppet,do it in a park,or your own front garden or an alley or something.DO NOT come and stand around the front of a venue with your bottle of vino plonko for the evening.Venue owners,unsurprisingly,have a big problem with this.And likewise,here's the other thing:you don't pay,you don't get in.The reason you're being asked for money is because WE HAVE TO PAY BANDS.You DON'T get in for free.You DON'T get in cheaper because you missed the first band.You DON'T sneak in another door and pretend you paid in.You DON'T get in free cos you know someone who's in a band who aren't playing anyway.
Is this clear?

i have to say i think one of the saddest things around is the crusty freeloader

the worst are the ones who get their irish mates to blag for them

""oh ....... is from america and is travelling around and they are totally skint etc ,...can they come in"

this basically means ........ is from america and is looking for a free holiday in europe at the expense of people who are part of the scene here and wants to freeload into this gig as well as getting free everything else while over here....

fuck em. wouldnt we all like a free holiday at someone elses expense, if we were users that is

money - i think a price rise is kind of unworkable and would, for the most part, keep attendences low. a better idea if you really want to pay touring bands properly is to keep a fund of cash (put on a benefit gig for yourself/have a raffle/ask for donations/do a bigger gig that is guaranteed to make money/get the cash somehow) and you'll always be able to rely on paying the bands no matter what the turnout.

posters - i reckon all we need is one or two city centre workers who usually just piss around on their lunch hour. they could be potential scene savers if they could do a poster run for DIY gigs 2 or 3 times a week.

clashes - i am more than aware of the problems inherent in having too many gigs in too short space a time and am kinda trying to put the foot down with porco dio to not have any punk or related bands play on the 4th and the 18th as there is loads of other stuff happening around then.

i don't think we do too bad in ireland.. from a promoters point of view its only every once in a while that a seriously underattended gig happens for a touring band, and what bands get paid over here seems to be a lot more than the average payout for a touring band in england (judging
from past measa tours and the recent kidd blunt tour; they got paid €30-€60 quid a night on average).

i think we are gonna start a serious crackdown on open can drinking and nicking into gigs as well. thing is that i still want these people to attend the gigs, i just wish more common sense was used, ie drink somewhere out of the view of the venue, clean up any/all empty cans you see lying around regardless of if they're yours or not, and if you want to come in for free, why not say so and offer to do the door or help out in some way in return? people are getting sick of "oh i just have to go inside to use the toilet", if stephen doyle was here he'd have these people in tears.

damien said:
money - i think a price rise is kind of unworkable...

i don't understand this at all - everything else in the country has gone up in price since i started going to gigs, gigs stay the same. none of it makes sense.

posters - i reckon all we need is one or two city centre workers who usually just piss around on their lunch hour. they could be potential scene savers if they could do a poster run for DIY gigs 2 or 3 times a week.

haha! 2-3 times a week on your BREAK from lunch!? slave to the scene. what about people who don't work?

personally i think selling yer shit better on the internet will help more. post on other boards. good art. good bios. sound samples. a website to back it all up. a myspace page to back it all up. skinny wolves has this shit nailed

oh and i don't expect anyone to ever do this in a million years but - kick people out if they drink cans. the venue does, why shouldn't the promoter? i mean if you;re really serious about wantint to keep the venue on-side and you're really against it...never happen though

GORILLAMUNCH said:
oh and i don't expect anyone to ever do this in a million years but - kick people out if they drink cans. the venue does, why shouldn't the promoter?

cos you'd come home and find your flatmate who had also been drinking on the sly had brought everyone back to your house for a party

Top tip: Indie promoters who don't have time to poster town. Why don't yis get 2 or 3 of the blagger dudes (presumably they don't have a job if they can't pay into a gig/afford pints) to poster a set number of places in town on a set day in the week in return for free entry to the gig/ a couple of quid from the takings.

Re: gig discussion, please eat breakfast rolls and give opinion

GORILLAMUNCH said:
good art.
For example...
62342.jpg

61838.jpg

another couple of things to remember

music vs social event - the same 3 bands on a friday night, won't draw the same crowd on a tuesday. unlikely anyway. so what;'s the draw, the music or the event?

attracting new people - don't be surprised if after all teh postering, mp3s, etc etc, people don't flock to see denovissimus (random example)...y'know? just cos someone likes sunn (random example), doesn't mean they're gonna get too crazy about seeing irish bands who are vaguely similar.....

i don't think the state of gigs in dublin is bad. spoiled for choice. if bands aren't getting paid enough to cover their costs, raise the admission. pretty simple in my dumbrain

another couple of things to remember

music vs social event - the same 3 bands on a friday night, won't draw the same crowd on a tuesday. unlikely anyway. so what;'s the draw, the music or the event?

attracting new people - don't be surprised if after all teh postering, mp3s, etc etc, people don't flock to see denovissimus (random example)...y'know? just cos someone likes sunn (random example), doesn't mean they're gonna get too crazy about seeing irish bands who are vaguely similar.....

i don't think the state of gigs in dublin is bad. spoiled for choice. if bands aren't getting paid enough to cover their costs, raise the admission. pretty simple in my dumbrain

needtokill said:
kind of related.I'm going to be blunt about this,I don't care who takes offence to it:
Crusties - particularly travelling crusties (you know who you are),if you fancy drinking a bottle of wine and standing in the freezing cold like a muppet,do it in a park,or your own front garden or an alley or something.DO NOT come and stand around the front of a venue with your bottle of vino plonko for the evening.Venue owners,unsurprisingly,have a big problem with this.And likewise,here's the other thing:you don't pay,you don't get in.The reason you're being asked for money is because WE HAVE TO PAY BANDS.You DON'T get in for free.You DON'T get in cheaper because you missed the first band.You DON'T sneak in another door and pretend you paid in.You DON'T get in free cos you know someone who's in a band who aren't playing anyway.
Is this clear?

Down with the crusts

I'm with Andy on this. Just raise the prices. Like whatst he average cost for a touring band down south? e7/8? Its not gonna hurt anyone to pay another euro or two. If everyone pays that extra bit which isnt a lot to them it'll definitley make a difference to the promoter. 40 people pay in that could be another say 80 euro. Its just that simple. If the prices go up people are just gonna have to deal with it. Plus people dont mind paying a lot for bigger touring bands coming through this country. Like the Boredoms in 22 euros and nobody will complain about that I'm sure. You're going to gigs and seeing bands and experiencing music that you might remember for the rest of your life. YOur hardly gonna be worrying about the few euros you spent extra. Plus its just one less drink which wont harm you!

The poster thing- Posters are cool and are nice to collect or whatever but I doubt the average person in the street is gonna see a poster of some band for example saying Like a kind of matador and think I'll go to that. The poster hardly explains what the bands are like. The internet is much better. Just put good biographys up and lots of mp3s and people will get a better idea of how the bands sound and whether they would like them.

GORILLAMUNCH said:
i don't understand this at all - everything else in the country has gone up in price since i started going to gigs, gigs stay the same. none of it makes sense.

the dole went up by 14 euro a week... thats two 7 euro gigs a week, and 2 gigs a week is a fairly healthy amount, so one or two 10 euro gigs every month or two shouldn't shock people.

what do promoters think would be the ideal gig price for a local band gig and then for a touring band gig? i assume this will change somewhat when porco dio buys it's own pa?

7 euro for local bands.

10 euro touring bands.

Thats fair.

It the same people drinking cans at every gig.Especially Bohs.

Posters are definetly not a dead medium either.

Personally I think a good poster and flyer make all the difference.Colour helps purely and simply because its eye catching and more aesthitically pleasing and usually easier to read.

this is important if you want to bring new people to gigs.

I rarely read black and white badly photocopied flyers and imagine that a lot of people are the same especially those from outside the scene.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back