General election 2020 (6 Viewers)

Yeah, but the point is - the chances of him even getting a seat in the Dáil, never mind getting a ministerial job, are pretty slim for a member of the Green party. If money was what he was after then he made some fairly mystifying career choices

being a minister opens doors for you and your business notions.
Not to mention the position of power,
Which is considered quite envious

There's not really though. These actual jobs that are being listed require actual work where you have to actually apply yourself every now and again if you want to keep your job, so you are actually answerable in some way to the level or performance you achieve.
Doing politics just entails talking a load of shit to the right people until you get to the point where there's nobody left to oversee you and you can just set your own day to day schedule as you like and you don't really have to actually do anything. Even now, after the 'scandal' about it last year, you can still just get somebody else to 'sign you in' to the Dail so that you can still claim your travel money.
I mean, if you want to get elected as a TD in Kerry, the only qualification you need at this point is for your surname to be 'Healy-Rae'.

exactly this.

Currently he can get away with falling asleep on the job while getting paid a shitload and be accountable to pretty much no one,
Of course he’d take that over having to actually hit targets, deadlines and be answerable to bosses / shareholders

exactly this.

Currently he can get away with falling asleep on the job while getting paid a shitload and be accountable to pretty much no one,
Of course he’d take that over having to actually hit targets, deadlines and be answerable to bosses / shareholders
We should run the government like a business on the free market?

Lads, listen to @dudley, or to @MDR, or to anyone who has worked with TDs/ministers and actually knows what they're talking about. They live and breathe their jobs. And TONS of corporate employees do absolutely fuck all. I'm sure I've spend at the very least an entire working year on thumped since I started posting here

We should run the government like a business on the free market?

no but my point was employees are made accountable in private businesses / in the free market. Politicians should be too.
If you were caught napping on the job you should be fucked out or at least warned.

Lads, listen to @dudley, or to @MDR, or to anyone who has worked with TDs/ministers and actually knows what they're talking about. They live and breathe their jobs. And TONS of corporate employees do absolutely fuck all. I'm sure I've spend at the very least an entire working year on thumped since I started posting here
That’s pretty insulting.
Sound.

Just because some politicians work hard and some corporate employees don’t, doesn’t invalidate my point.
And with regards to your last point,
If a government minister is being paid big bucks, which is from publics pocket, they should at least, in public, appear to give a fuck and not be caught sleeping on the job

Last edited:
Do you not think he might be held accountable in his next review at the ballot box?

I don't really think getting any amount of environment bills passed will make up for supporting the two parties that have spent the past 20 years fucking up anything remotely socially progressive in the country and using that to line their own pockets, and are now responsible for thousands of virus deaths and at one point the highest infection rate in the world from their adherence to the same policies of "help their business and developer mates make money and absolutely fuck everybody else".
I don't see how the two things can be separated, particularly when the green parties own TDs are quitting because of it.

Also, the main thing that has allowed the virus to spread around the country is the lack of any attempt to restrict air travel. Ryan is the Minister for Transport, and therefore the most direct part of this complete failure. We had 110000 people come through Dublin airport in January, in the middle of a global pandemic, without any checks being made on them. Now even the UK is reporting that hundreds of people are avoiding their own attempts at quarantine measures by travelling through Dublin airport instead.
Ryan isn't just sleeping in the Dail, he's sleeping in the cabinet.

I don't really think getting any amount of environment bills passed will make up for supporting the two parties that have spent the past 20 years fucking up anything remotely socially progressive in the country and using that to line their own pockets, and are now responsible for thousands of virus deaths and at one point the highest infection rate in the world from their adherence to the same policies of "help their business and developer mates make money and absolutely fuck everybody else".
I don't see how the two things can be separated, particularly when the green parties own TDs are quitting because of it.

Also, the main thing that has allowed the virus to spread around the country is the lack of any attempt to restrict air travel. Ryan is the Minister for Transport, and therefore the most direct part of this complete failure. We had 110000 people come through Dublin airport in January, in the middle of a global pandemic, without any checks being made on them. Now even the UK is reporting that hundreds of people are avoiding their own attempts at quarantine measures by travelling through Dublin airport instead.
Ryan isn't just sleeping in the Dail, he's sleeping in the cabinet.

Now that I think of it, that was all completely Eamon Ryan, and nothing to do with Stephen Donelly blanking texts from NPHET.

You'd be a good candidate to ask the question though - What do the green have to do for you to be validated at this point? You say 'no amount of environment bills' - what is it exactly do you want, that would have been possible with the outcome of election 2020 that would validate them, or are you becoming old man Ireland 'i'll never vote for that shower, if it helps me'?

I don't really think getting any amount of environment bills passed will make up for supporting the two parties that have spent the past 20 years fucking up anything remotely socially progressive in the country
the thing is - there hasn't been a single government formed since 1923 without FF or FG (or FG's predecessor) being the majority party. so what's a small party to do? refuse the chance to get some of their policies across the line?

the thing is - there hasn't been a single government formed since 1923 without FF or FG (or FG's predecessor) being the majority party. so what's a small party to do? refuse the chance to get some of their policies across the line?

Yes. I would say hold out for a SF led government and not get rode by FG/FF which is historically what happens

I don't really think getting any amount of environment bills passed will make up for supporting the two parties that have spent the past 20 years etc etc
I do. They are not The Righteous Party, they're a single issue party. I care about that issue, and I want them to fucking fix it.

Just because some politicians work hard and some corporate employees don’t, doesn’t invalidate my point.
ALL ministers work hard, lots of corporate employees don't. Your point is invalid.

I do. They are not The Righteous Party, they're a single issue party. I care about that issue, and I want them to fucking fix it.

ALL ministers work hard, lots of corporate employees don't. Your point is invalid.
ALL ministers work hard?!

not withstanding that ridiculous statement about something that cannot be qualified;

someone who is payed that much public money, should give more of a fuck and not sleep on the job.
ESPECIALLY on such an important topic.
If he can't do that, he shouldn't be doing the job, it's quite simple really

There was an opportunity to get both of those parties out of government after the last election, but instead the greens just put them back in again.

Yes. I would say hold out for a SF led government and not get rode by FG/FF which is historically what happens

I would think that generally but i think honestly the timeline made it impossible for them at this point - when i say this point i mean 2030 being one of the milestones of the paris accord.

option 1 : go in in 2020 with no guarantee of 2024, possibly get minced but policy might get them a look in in 28 when the stuff from this term starts showing.

option 2: ignore 2020 and gamble on 2024, meaning no green policy will really be showing by 2030, and no guarantee of seat at the table, which they have not had for basically a decade.

There was an opportunity to get both of those parties out of government after the last election, but instead the greens just put them back in again.

yep. The lure of power must be too strong for some.
It was for MM anyway, he'd have thrown his own granny under the bus for the crown of Taoiseach

Now that I think of it, that was all completely Eamon Ryan, and nothing to do with Stephen Donelly blanking texts from NPHET.

You'd be a good candidate to ask the question though - What do the green have to do for you to be validated at this point? You say 'no amount of environment bills' - what is it exactly do you want, that would have been possible with the outcome of election 2020 that would validate them, or are you becoming old man Ireland 'i'll never vote for that shower, if it helps me'?
If the greens had refused to go into coalition with FFG, there would most likely have been another election, which most likely would have seen FFG properly out of power. Instead they just put FFG back in again. That's how it is.
I'm all for them getting some good bills put through, but this is just like when I was saying why don't we shut the airports down, and you're like yeah but the border the border, okay so we'll not even bother trying then. This is the same shit again, why don't the greens try and get good stuff done in a better way, rather than just putting fucking FFG back in again, "Oh well the election, it's not their fault they can't be perfect", yeah but the could have at least fucking TRIED couldn't they?
In 2020 we had an unprecedented election which gave EVERY non-FFG party the opportunity to actually have a go at FINALLY getting rid of FFG from government, but instead the Greens just said na, why even try. And Ireland's complete failure in dealing with the pandemic is indeed the direct result of having the same fucking cunts in charge again, because they're always just looking out for themselves first.
We're still seeing it right now. They won't do anything drastic with the airports literally because taking any action on it might force Mehole to cancel his March Washington holiday. Contrast with the evil empire of Israel, who are of course cunts but a couple of weeks ago decided to cancel pretty much all non-domestic flights in the country, because they might be cunts, but they're actually trying to stop virus transmission because they got fucked with it pretty badly.

So the answer to "Well what do you want" is "For them to actually even TRY not working with FFG".

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back