General election 2020 (1 Viewer)

I'm gonna straight up say that you're flat-out wrong about this. Plenty of unease about human population size/growth in environmental circles
Yeah that's alright, I think we're all guessing at this one. I do have a few things to back up my ludicrously hard-line opinion, will post them later when I get a chance to frickin' remember what they are.

Gonna straight up say it though: if you are seriously, genuinely worried about overpopulation you're either a racist or being fooled by a racist.
that's *quite* a claim.
there is genuine concern about this which is in no way racist. it's mainly a two factor thing - overconsumption and the number of people on the planet.
i'm not aware of any discussion on this which does not take as a massive factor that that the rich west on a per capita basis consumes many, many times what people in developing countries do. and that the consumption of the populations of developed countries have a far worse impact on those in developing countries than the converse.

that's *quite* a claim.
there is genuine concern about this which is in no way racist. it's mainly a two factor thing - overconsumption and the number of people on the planet.
i'm not aware of any discussion on this which does not take as a massive factor that that the rich west on a per capita basis consumes many, many times what people in developing countries do. and that the consumption of the populations of developed countries have a far worse impact on those in developing countries than the converse.
No, it's a one factor thing - overconsumption. If one of your solutions is to stop the people from having children because you did the maths and found a balance for the planet then fair enough, but that's a solution, not a problem. How you apply it and who you apply it to is part two of your solution.

It's not necessary to kill people en mass however to lower a population size people can just spend their time doing something else other than raising a family. Genocide is not the most obvious approach actually long term it may not even work. It's the other opposite event that is the major factor. I'm not making any argument for or against by the way although birth control would hardly seem that shocking or controversial to me.

Both birth and fertility rates are dropping everywhere in the west, you're getting your wish. We're already at the point where only the fucking celebrity millionaires can afford to have kids while they're under the age of 30.

Thread
Both birth and fertility rates are dropping everywhere in the west, you're getting your wish. We're already at the point where only the fucking celebrity millionaires can afford to have kids while they're under the age of 30.

I never said it was my wish that's your statement

Yeah fair enough. We don't need to "lower population sizes" though, we need to stop destroying the planet. Birth control, and all the answers that eventually come with that euphemistic phrase, is not the solution to this.

Well like look, I'm got about 9 minutes between to-do's here. If we go full on journal comments section environmental 'controls' i.e. wiping out loads of people, then maybe a rough measurement for that would be

which suggests that around 29th july for 2019. - that is month 7 of 12, so we need to wipe out (does % calculation) 42% of the planet to get on track with renewables.

Or the most consuming nations (which we are one of) could just reduce consumption of resources by about 50% and we will survive the journal comments section.

i came in to make this very point. from what i understand, it's one of the most effective things you can do.

I half typed and then deleted a post about the ted talk ui saw that is probably problematic but basically said that if the developing world had washing machines then the women would have 'time' to go to school.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back