General election 2020 (6 Viewers)

What's the big deal with the IRA connection? Is it cause they're illegal, whereas when the guards go around beating people up, running corrupt laundry schemes, and killing the odd person here and there, they're legal so it's grand?
last i heard, the gardai weren't running in the election. not in my constituency, anyway.

What's the big deal with the IRA connection? Is it cause they're illegal, whereas when the guards go around beating people up, running corrupt laundry schemes, and killing the odd person here and there, they're legal so it's grand?
I'm not mad about all the bombs in the streets. That's not saying anything good or bad about the gardai but imo the IRA had the edge over them in such key strategic operations. Are SF going to do anything to reform the gards?

The idea that any of the parties that have been in government aren't involved in the exact same kind of shit that Sinn Fein are involved in is laughable. I mean, there was a justice minister basically sacked a few years ago when some of the horrible shit they were getting up to leaked out thanks to Maurice McCabe.
Yet for some reason you say you could never even consider voting Sinn Fein, but they've all been doing the same shit, the only difference is how the media report it. It's almost as if the media have an agenda incorporating supporting certain parties over other ones.
It's bizarre. There's plenty of reasons to not vote Sinn Fein based around them being opportunistic useless cunts, surely that should be enough without needing to go back to the same tired old "Oh but the ra" nonsense. As if the Dail isn't just full of horrible cunts in general, "oh but the ra".

Well if it was shown that the Green Party or the social democrats had undeniable historical links to a terrorist criminal organization involved in murders, punishment beats, detonating bombs in pubs & shops etc... I wouldn't vote for them either.

The idea that any of the parties that have been in government aren't involved in the exact same kind of shit that Sinn Fein are involved in is laughable. I mean, there was a justice minister basically sacked a few years ago when some of the horrible shit they were getting up to leaked out thanks to Maurice McCabe.
uh.. jean mcconville?
it's kinda hard for people of our generation to get over that until recently, the leader of sinn fein was someone who had been on the IRA army council and was neck deep in that shit.

uh.. jean mcconville?
it's kinda hard for people of our generation to get over that until recently, the leader of sinn fein was someone who had been on the IRA army council and was neck deep in that shit.
out of principle I will never vote Shinners

I will also never vote FF, FG or Labour.

it will always be the best of whats left after that.

I got Green/SD/Labour/PBP on that whichcandidate thing. It's bollox though isn't it?

For example the question that asks whether the Corporation tax should be raised, stay the same, or lowered - there's no option for "Can we start by actually just collecting the fucking thing?".

The whole IRA thing happened in a vacumn and it was all entirely unprovoked madness or people who live less than 100km from you couldn't go on civil rights marches without being gravely attacked at a time when their votes meant nothing. Horrible things happened along the way, that is true, but this non contextualizing of it, especially in comparison to modern gangland which is actually just there so people can do cocaine on a Friday evening, while both ffg have presided over rendition through Shannon airport for decades (dissapearing humans) is precisely what the non contextualizing broken record of ffg want to hear you say. They've already won the election by parroting it.

I know the IRA probably started with noble intentions but along the way they became just another organized crime gang.

I know the IRA probably started with noble intentions but along the way they became just another organized crime gang.
Maybe I’m wrong but the shift of the IRA into various factions (never say die hardliners, opportunists turning towards more gangland organised crime, and those who knew that the time for fighting was over) pretty much coincides with SF going legitimate though, doesn’t it? I could understand if SF was still led/made up of those who had ties to the IRA during the Troubles but it isn’t.

i know a couple of shinners. they're like cult members; it's like talking to scientologists or people who work for google.
even my local FG TD who called to the door last night (to relieve the poor young lad who looked utterly terrified) put his hands up and said 'yeah, we got that wrong' on a couple of things. shinners are unable to admit such a thing.

anyway, my ruse worked with said TD. keep the people you don't want elected talking at your door. reduce their available canvassing time.

I could understand if SF was still led/made up of those who had ties to the IRA during the Troubles but it isn’t.

That's true. The older generation are being replaced.
But I still won't vote for them. It was kind of strange to see Gerry Adams with SF recently. He's letting his hair grow. Looked more like Gizzly Adams.

'this old chestnut' that sinn fein were the political wing of the IRA? jesus wept.

It’s constantly being dragged up despite no one in SF is a member of The IRA

i'm still laughing at the 'if you don't vote for SF because of the IRA, you're clearly a supporter of garda thuggery' line.

Are you laughing to make Jesus weep?

They’ve all blood on their hands sure

i know a couple of shinners. they're like cult members; it's like talking to scientologists or people who work for google.
Is that not true of all parties? There are always ideological party members who cannot shift their thinking beyond the tradition of the party. There was one SF councillor here in our area who was really good - very pragmatic and practical. I would have voted for him if he was running for the General Election.

Is that not true of all parties? There are always ideological party members who cannot shift their thinking beyond the tradition of the party. There was one SF councillor here in our area who was really good - very pragmatic and practical. I would have voted for him if he was running for the General Election.

Yeah they’re all like that

Here folks I'm happy to deconstruct years of ffg propaganda on the topic of the North and draw all the readily available modern comparisons, but let's face it, you give Mary Lou the keys to the dail and all that going to happen is that she's gonna go straight to the canteen, rip the timer out of the cooker and use it to make an IED just to vaporize a Ford ka in a border town, every fear is completely justifiable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back