General election 2020 (1 Viewer)

Here folks I'm happy to deconstruct years of ffg propaganda on the topic of the North and draw all the readily available modern comparisons, but let's face it, you give Mary Lou the keys to the dail and all that going to happen is that she's gonna go straight to the canteen, rip the timer out of the cooker and use it to make an IED just to vaporize a Ford ka in a border town, every fear is completely justifiable.
Because there are things that are hard to look over I can't imagine I will ever vote for FF or FG, assuming I believe SF are a legit party (which I do) how much should I be willing to look over? Genuine question.

Everyone’s red line and sell-by date for this stuff is their own, but are we still a few elections away from drawing a line under the civil war?
Like it’s been a century, and the FF/FG division represents a false choice.
On the plus side, the duopoly does (unfortunately) represent a kind of consensus on what kind of Ireland it is that Irish people want.

Everyone’s red line and sell-by date for this stuff is their own, but are we still a few elections away from drawing a line under the civil war?
Like it’s been a century, and the FF/FG division represents a false choice.
On the plus side, the duopoly does (unfortunately) represent a kind of consensus on what kind of Ireland it is that Irish people want.
True, and FF/FG have gone from 80%+ combined in the 1980's to under 50% in 2016. One hopes these trends continue.

Because there are things that are hard to look over I can't imagine I will ever vote for FF or FG, assuming I believe SF are a legit party (which I do) how much should I be willing to look over? Genuine question.

The book I was flicking through at the weekend was going into this a bit. It made the point (pretty repetitively tbh) that largely ethics are for bystanders and in the moment of pragmatism is there is only doing or not doing. TBH my personal take is thinking in the now - If there is a candidate i think is worth putting in the dail i'll vote for them. If someone appears to me as a salary journeyman/woman then I probably wont. I don't subscribe to the george w bush definition of 'terrorist' which has become the prevalent understanding of the word, or conception of any non establishment militia (of course the proxy forces are never terrorists), - according to bush the unknown causeless dark enemy that should not be spoken to. It flies completely in the face reconciliation/peacemaking practice. If the above TD who was in prison came to your door do you slam the door in his face calling him a terrorist or do you take opportunity to ask him to contextualize his actions, ask him how he feels about them now and the decide for yourself if he is a worthy public representative or not. One of these paths is intelligent, the other isolationist. the w.bush definition contextually was made by commander in chief the largest most destructive occupying force on the planet in known history at the time, so eh, yknow....

Early eighties would put that guys actions just on the tail end of the hunger strike deaths and the shankhill butcher trials, tempers might have been a little frayed at the time.

that is all history though.

right now we are thundering into neoliberalism, terrible housing arrangements, right wing shit stirring idiots and some stupid climate thing so my lines are more drawn in the now and near future than the past. There won't be any alternative that is going to emerge between now and feb 8th that doesn't contain some % of SF or alternatively a mass uprising so I guess people can call themselves left if they like but waiting for a 100% ethical left is essentially voting right on the numbers present on this date.

Risteard Cooper's Ivan Yeats impersonation is spot on. He nails all of Yeats button pushing tricks.
The righteous indignation, constant aggressive interrupting. Making outrageous accusations & then cutting off the interviewee when they are trying to defend themselves. Following up with totally unrelated questions. Good interview with Eamon Ryan.

Where is the line of acceptability or political rehabilitation drawn? I mean those other lads were (and still are) called the blueshirts for a reason.
this

do we give these lads a pass for their past demeanours? If not, then shouldn't that extend to everyone, whether we like them or not?

This occurred to me a bit over the last while where people are adamant to punish those who campaigned against repealing the 8th, regardless of what their other policies might be. One the one hand that's a complete distraction from the issues that are being fought out now. On the other, fuck them.

I don't know what the answer is. I just know I will never vote Shinners, Labour or Fine's Gael or Fail

do we give these lads a pass for their past demeanours? If not, then shouldn't that extend to everyone, whether we like them or not?
the thing is, an election is a job interview, not a trial; you're picking who you think is the best, not everyone who meets a certain minimum standard. so you can set the bar as high as you see fit.

i can accept someone has moved on from a previous sin or misdemeanour, but that does not place them within the zone of electability on my ballot paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back