General Election 2011 (1 Viewer)

Re: Boards.ie Voting Poll

The church depends on the state in a lot of matters and if public opinion continues to turn in favour of full equality, pressure could be brought to bear.

This is where Jim Corr is needed

Discrimination is discrimination, I don't care how old your club is.

Ah yeah, but they should be free to discriminate among themselves and the faithful.

Obviously this is unlikely to happen til you're a horrendous looking wreck.

You think?

Nice and timely from the Onion

http://www.theonion.com/articles/revolutionary-new-homophobia-immersion-therapy-inv,19264/

Revolutionary New Homophobia Immersion Therapy Involves Lowering Patient Into Tank Of Gays
FEBRUARY 23, 2011 | ISSUE 47•08

BOSTON—During a widely publicized press conference at the Boston University School of Medicine Friday, researchers announced a breakthrough new technique that cures homophobia by immersing patients in a large glass tank overflowing with gays. "Rather than avoid one's fear of homosexual men, we believe it's crucial to face it head on," behavioral psychologist Dr. Dolph Kleineman told reporters, explaining how homophobic subjects are hooked up to a harness and lowered into a room containing bare-chested men dancing suggestively to the latest club hits, kissing, and feeding one another strawberries. "So far the treatment has been successful, with early test subjects being able to go out into the real world and see a gay couple hold hands without making a bigoted remark." When asked if there was a risk of subjects getting stuck in the tank of writhing men, Kleineman said the gays would be so oiled up that patients would have no trouble slipping in and out.

Faithful/hateful. There should be no freedom to promote bigotry.

That's pointy hat territory.

Hmm..... I'm not so sure. I think there should be. I also think that people shouldn't be so fucking stupid.

I haven't decided which is more important yet though.

the news media talking about 'FG being a forgone conclusion' really annoys me. Not a specific FG gripe, more a gripe at the media being shit. they base it on redc polls, i dont know how accurate redc are, but its wednesday, the doors dont open till friday and talking about foregone conclusions in national media at this point is going to effect voting, and saying it wont is being a prick.

the news media talking about 'FG being a forgone conclusion' really annoys me. Not a specific FG gripe, more a gripe at the media being shit. they base it on redc polls, i dont know how accurate redc are, but its wednesday, the doors dont open till friday and talking about foregone conclusions in national media at this point is going to effect voting, and saying it wont is being a prick.

The media continue to cover this like a sporting event. Bugs me too.
I fucking hate when they go to the party handlers after the debate and ask them how they think it went. What do they really expect them to say??
Its a big goddamn D4 parlour game at times.

The position as I understand it, is that the straights are prepared to offer civil partnerships with all the legal and state benefits etc.
The gays want nothing less than full equality. Anything less than a recognition of their right to marry is de facto discrimination.

Personally I'm against anyone getting married. I've seen about 10 rotten ones for every decent one. But I can't argue with the logic presented by the gays.

Probably the biggest issue with Civil Partnership is that it doesnt mention children. One parent has rights regarding their child because they are the biological parent while the other cant even sign a form for medical consent in case of an emergency. If one the bio parent dies the other parent doesnt automatically get guardianship, the child can get taken off them and given to its grandparents.

Is the main reason not something to do with the economics of, for example, state benefits and all sorts of long term legal problems that might arise if the union is not officially recognised by the government? You can't actually say that marriage is only about having children if it affects you legally, financially and.... other words like that.

So what I'm saying is that it's pretty ludicrous to even think that such a position can exist.

I'm on the sides of teh gayz myself although they obviously tend to overreact to things !baggyyyy

The position as I understand it, is that the straights are prepared to offer civil partnerships with all the legal and state benefits etc.
The gays want nothing less than full equality. Anything less than a recognition of their right to marry is de facto discrimination.

Personally I'm against anyone getting married. I've seen about 10 rotten ones for every decent one. But I can't argue with the logic presented by the gays.

I suppose some people might object on the basis that its too expensive to let the gays marry. The most convincing argument I have heard against it is that marriage exists to nurture and protect children and is meaningless in the context of gay relationships or in the case of couples who can not have children due to age or illness or whatever. This view of marriage is quite a roman catholic thing (according to the book I am reading) and I guess that is why the view has traditionally been common here. Children (and maybe the mothers) are entitled to the marriage, it is not particularly for two non-parents and so the gays, if things were only so simple, would have no business marrying because they have no business anywhere near children.

I could go with something like this definition of marriage so long as civil unions were open to non-gay people. You would still have to allow the gay people to marry as they have kids too and their kiddies are presumably entitled to the protection that marriage supposedly offers. Really though, I don't think many people hold the old-fashioned view of marriage anymore and so we might as well forget about that and work on what it means to people these days.

yes, I'm pretty sure it's the most common opinion among people with a brain. No matter how you justify it (what's 'natural' and all that jazz) it's discrimination, for better or for worse.

If marriage is SOLELY a church thing then the church gets to decide if gay marriage is allowed IMHO

Yes, well, that's a whole different thing. I'm personally opposed to happiness.

I've no objection to the church not allowing gay weddings in their churches, its their own stupid church, why anyone would want to marry in it i don't know. I don't want them getting any of my taxes though

I suppose some people might object on the basis that its too expensive to let the gays marry. The most convincing argument I have heard against it is that marriage exists to nurture and protect children and is meaningless in the context of gay relationships or in the case of couples who can not have children due to age or illness or whatever. This view of marriage is quite a roman catholic thing (according to the book I am reading) and I guess that is why the view has traditionally been common here. Children (and maybe the mothers) are entitled to the marriage, it is not particularly for two non-parents and so the gays, if things were only so simple, would have no business marrying because they have no business anywhere near children.

Yes and any and all of these arguments are anti gay.

Maybe not maliciously and, like I said, for better or for worse, but they anti-gay nonetheless.

I've no objection to the church not allowing gay weddings in their churches, its their own stupid church, why anyone would want to marry in it i don't know. I don't want them getting any of my taxes though

my sentiments exactly.

ps I googled Auntie Gay to save someone else the hilarity and got this

l_6a1a7745c18a8ce5d1450374a80d2f5b.jpg

Fuck the church, the bigots and all the bullshit reasons that any of these ridiculous, ignorant shits have for being against gay marriage. Fuck Fine Gael too, and Boards.ie

Yes and any and all of these arguments are anti gay.

Maybe not maliciously and, like I said, for better or for worse, but they anti-gay nonetheless.

Actually I don't know what I was getting at here. I think I read the first half of your post incorrectly Shaney.

I'm with Avernus!

Re: General Election 2011 (was: Boards.ie Voting Poll)

15 out of 67 registered to vote - i still know plenty of people with up to three votes. there's probably only 5 people there eligible to vote, and each voted three times.

i don't see why they can't clean up the register by simply removing the names of people who don't vote.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back