economic meltdown (2 Viewers)

I don't like it when good points are muddled up with silly stuff like "Japan is a small island". It's GDP is as big as anywhere. Economically it's huge, geographically it's pretty big too.

i lost my mind: yes.

Yeah that's the first time I've heard Japan described as a "small island nation".
And England wasn't in the EU and didn't have its own currency the last time I checked.

Big numbers though.

Sure this is not news the dolar has been goin down constatly for years... every day
because they have blown all there money on a stupid war that they arnt evan winning... Or maybe a bit..?
Massive money down they tube.. every day for years

nobody in iraq was alowed do any trade with the outside world excpt sadam with oil ,or just oil thanks to ,NATO or ,U.N.
No trade? no medicine in or oranges out?
Nocked back to the stone age they were

What you need to build an ark Big stones ,straw ,mud ,animails plenty of sunshine and lentals and millions of plants
asher ayeah asher thats all maybe water and skies? spear?

What you need for economic boom ,Concrete ,Metal (sound Building ideas!) NEW CARS New Road.. electricity (read- radioactivity) Minerals raw matereal, compulsory land purchases! Ceap radioactive metals, workers raw matereals ,punters
Ships, agricultural products ...Milk..
Houseing market one off houseing aposed to houseing estates? Large mansions in country side smaller single houses, repared old houses, alcahol TOBACO nuts spring buds yummy dafodils yummy wood house eight crops of spuds in year organic aposed to one single crop non organic farm machinery ,stone concrete wood cement tools clothes detergents fishs ditches solar radation wind thing

For ESB melting black tar plastic cheap poles from sweden things on poles transformeres ninety fiftys technology board na mona

concrete tecknology

NO job just drive

Brick plaster slate natural syntetic halfed hasel reeds

Coffe Cocaine katy french alcahol
,soap bars bycicles over head power lines kettles toaster
Meat products SAUCEPRODUCTS wine wine wine grass

Horses bets races trainers ...leather
Clothes syntetic oild based badly treated russian workers
Maximun mass produced

OWNERSHIOP of goods OWENERSHHIP of lands

TV advertisments brutaly disected aliens

England poulation Irish population

Tourism
alternative t3chnology

carrots fruit trees goats (eating ivy) corn barely oats pigs small wild boars Rubarb WATER ditches fish bees wind hedges odl buildings fotbal sponership Farm machinery ownership
Space ships radation pomegranits Bums lads in dole office send to the war....

Wankers

Homeless mental ilness bag ladies bag men recyle cans raw material wealth.. glass bottles apose carbord TETRApack
Crokery new bowl Clay heat oven vibration radioactive burning buter wine olives grecce goat cheese sambuca vodka paint stripper paints fumes

Indutriys cds cds players records -l stereos ipods runners reeds grass shoed hay seeds concret

Iran Nato UN sanction no trade with outside contries no medicint or books comeing in ,no oranges going out no rugs only person allowed to buissness sadam sell oil out side

America all aples trown in hedge to rot, russia person shot at for picking apple

Dublin factorys sacks horses tea bags bleach
england train bridges elisabetians

Its about raw materilas I mean who has a right to them anyway?
And is it better to be wrecking county meath with masive ridiculas planned roads??????????????

Tacther england mobilew phones ownership of house perri water
homeless SHOPING bling bling

DISTRBUTION trucks

hahah rant

Survivail
Led zeplin
shed
slugs
frogs
leaves
sea beaches worms
tampons
make up
underwear

canals
Health bills Cancer
Pharmacutecils
Pilons
digital tech
Hovers
Pineapples

education...

There is going to be 2 or maybe three less Stealth Bombers bought this quarter.

AHHHH no, only messing. No no. The Stealth Bombers are grand.

No, ehh, yeah, I'd say there are going to be loads of hungry people having wars in Africa... or wait, emm, yeah so the CO2 levels in the atmosphere are not going to be sorted out by September after all... no no, I mean, emm, homeless shelters are going to start being underfunded.

Nah. Singapore. All the missing money ends up in Singapore and Abu Dubai. They'll be keeping a close eye on it until they reckon we can be trusted again.

Music intremants cds 7"s
Montains water ice fish

Katy french

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HIclWW9yRc

roads fridges plastic hair brush bones fuel
war war war Quanity surverors
South Ireland Asphalt Company
SHELL siac
Temples india
Brazil

Religien books books pens paper office suplies printer

esb

slaves sex workers
soldiurs

not to be in comon with anything
generic
regeim
Wood hut
Reiss sprake
kinichi wha

House wireing
Atomic beam resonators

Health and fitness

New dog
Vegatarian lassange
lental carrot

Stinged by books bikes cabels
Necesity necesity
Homeless old mentalers

Looms
stones
bras

http://bsc.radionoise.ru/links.html

SILK GOBLETS ,SLAVES
LEAD CUPS NAILS PRECUS STONES
PHONE CALLs HAMMERs BOOTS NAILs GUNs

cocain
cocain
boats
hemp

surf boards
traders
kenko
co-ops

Electric shocks
ELecTriC FeIlDS
You've lost your mind alright.

I don't like it when good points are muddled up with silly stuff like "Japan is a small island". It's GDP is as big as anywhere. Economically it's huge, geographically it's pretty big too.
Yes, its GDP is massive, and its also owed billions/trillions in a currency that is soon to be worth nothing.
I know fuck all about macro-economics, but it seems, that if somebody owes you, and they are either unable to pay up, or when they do pay up, the value of the debt they're paying is worth nothing, that becomes a loss.
There's nothing tangible to back the debt.

The US economy can only be looked at up close and in spots if you are to have any chance of understanding it.

I can look at one little bit of it, and it seems to work or make some sort of sense.

As soon as you pan back, and see the whole thing, my brain starts reeling, and breaks.

There are all sorts of rules that the US economy doesn't seem to have to adhere to, and that seem to have no logic at all.

One of the reasons for this is certainly that loans between countries are made in USD, even if neither country's currency is USDs. The figure the loan is made at is recorded in USDs.

Somehow you can tie this in with the rate of inflation the Fed sets, and the outcome is the US levies a tax on the whole world.
Somehow.

where does all this money go? you know, these billions that were lost?

I'm the same. I don't properly understand what's going on. Can someone fill in the gaps?

- The financial institutions in the US gave out credit to Joe Soaps all over the US without any proper guarantee of getting the money back.
- The financial institutions need to re-evaluate how much money they actually have. They don't have as much money as they think they do.
- Something
- Something else
- Interest rates are cut so as to get people borrowing more money :confused: :confused:

GR2008031401451.gif

Roll out the Amero!
Thats where its headed immediately along with the Asian currency(Australia, NZ, Japan and Korea) whatever they'll call it. Amero, Euro and Asio. The long term is a single currency followed by a cashless society. Check out the Rockefeller's, Bushes(Busche's), Kissinger. New World Order. Take the advice of the rapturists. DONT GET CHIPPED!!
I'm the same. I don't properly understand what's going on. Can someone fill in the gaps?

- The financial institutions in the US gave out credit to Joe Soaps all over the US without any proper guarantee of getting the money back.
- The financial institutions need to re-evaluate how much money they actually have. They don't have as much money as they think they do.
- Something
- Something else
- Interest rates are cut so as to get people borrowing more money :confused: :confused:
nice bullet points

No, not really.
Ok, so the corollary of what you are saying is that when the stock market booms, as it was doing for the previous few years, there is a surge in funding of homeless outreach projects.

I dont see that happening. I see no trickle down from great days on Wall St into the shelters, into getting dudes fed and warmed up. I see much the same piss poor shit as always.

The only time I see that is when the govt decides to do somehting about it, Giuliani and now the Bush Admin has been absolutely cutting that back continuously, regardless of the economy.

Like I said though, I am more than happy to be told shut the fuck up, that I'm wrong. Maybe I just dont understand.

sorry if someone else has already pointed this out,
it means more people become homeless
'the homeless' isn't an ethnic group mate

sorry if someone else has already pointed this out,
it means more people become homeless
'the homeless' isn't an ethnic group mate

first of all, I have never seen any data correlating increasing homeless rates with shit days on Wall St. I was in Argentina when the economy fully melted down, as far as I know there was no increase in the quantity of homeless people.

Secondly, its a black box. There is a quantifiable input, Shitty days on Wall St; and there are quantifiable outputs, numbers of homeless.
How one effects the other is a hidden Markov Model. It is a black box. You cannot say that there is an absolute relationship.

Thirdly, when did I fucking say homeless were a specific ethnic group?

first of all, I have never seen any data correlating increasing homeless rates with shit days on Wall St. I was in Argentina when the economy fully melted down, as far as I know there was no increase in the quantity of homeless people.

Secondly, its a black box. There is a quantifiable input, Shitty days on Wall St; and there are quantifiable outputs, numbers of homeless.
How one effects the other is a hidden Markov Model. It is a black box. You cannot say that there is an absolute relationship.

Thirdly, when did I fucking say homeless were a specific ethnic group?

maybe you're living in a black box?
cos there's a bit more economic meltdown going on than one or two shitty days in wall st
oh wait, you live in america
which sort of like living in a big box, without a top on it, so let's chalk that one up to a misunderstanding

my idea is simple, i happen to think that there is an absolute relationship between people buying homes with mortgages based on a valuation that is now significantly more than what their home is worth and homelessness. this is because when people can no longer pay their mortgages or afford to move to smaller accomodation, then the bank is allowed to take their home from them. the flipside to this is that landlords (ie, everyone who invested in property in the last coupla years) can't afford to lower the rent, and when people can't pay the rent, they also get kicked out of their homes.
the general outcome is that there are more homeless people.

i don't think you said they were an ethnic group, it was a friendly witticism based on the idea that 'the homeless' was somehow a fixed catagory of people who would only be affected insofar as there is a decrease in provision of social services, a view that i find a little bit simplistic, having worked for an organisation trying to prevent people from losing their homes, i think the precariousness of the situation should not be underestimated.

to save us continuing this pointless debate, i will refrain from posting again.

cheerio

maybe you're living in a black box?
cos there's a bit more economic meltdown going on than one or two shitty days in wall st
oh wait, you live in america
which sort of like living in a big box, without a top on it, so let's chalk that one up to a misunderstanding

my idea is simple, i happen to think that there is an absolute relationship between people buying homes with mortgages based on a valuation that is now significantly more than what their home is worth and homelessness. this is because when people can no longer pay their mortgages or afford to move to smaller accomodation, then the bank is allowed to take their home from them. the flipside to this is that landlords (ie, everyone who invested in property in the last coupla years) can't afford to lower the rent, and when people can't pay the rent, they also get kicked out of their homes.
the general outcome is that there are more homeless people.

i don't think you said they were an ethnic group, it was a friendly witticism based on the idea that 'the homeless' was somehow a fixed catagory of people who would only be affected insofar as there is a decrease in provision of social services, a view that i find a little bit simplistic, having worked for an organisation trying to prevent people from losing their homes, i think the precariousness of the situation should not be underestimated.

to save us continuing this pointless debate, i will refrain from posting again.

cheerio

Well done. Congratulations on living in Ireland or the UK or where ever the fuck you're from. I cant possibly imagine what that would be like.

Well done on producing no data at all to suggest you are right.
Lets have a look at... say.. Ireland?

According to the Housing Statistics Bulletin for the September 1999 quarter, 5,234 people were homeless in Ireland, double the 2,501 reported in 1996.
http://medmediacampaign.com/?id=1296&level=4

At least 6,000 people are now (2002) homeless in Ireland and a shortage of appropriate accommodation means that people now tend to remain homeless for longer periods of time, Focus Ireland has said.
http://www.irishhealth.com/?level=4&id=4188

Over 5,500 people are 'officially' homeless in this country (2005). However it is widely accepted that this figure is not accurate and is more than likely far higher, a new report from the Simon Communities of Ireland has found.
http://medmediacampaign.com/index.html?level=4&id=7920&ss=Homelessness

Well well well. Look at that. Ireland, despite becoming massively more wealthy throughout the Celtic Tiger boom, did not seem to drop in numbers of homeless people. In fact it might be rising, although this might have something to do with immigration.

So there you go. There seems not to be a simple relationship between homeless numbers and economically good or bad periods, within some sort of bounds presumably.

Congratulations also on name dropping the fact that you worked for / with some sort of program that dealt with the homeless.
I did too by the way, specifically in the Simon Community along Merchants Quay, if you're into waving your dick around.

You state nothing more than bollocks arguments that you dont back up with any data, preachy comments about how you worked to fight homelessness, and the usual patronizing weak bullshit about all Americans being exactly the same and oblivious to everything.

Well well well. Look at that. Ireland, despite becoming massively more wealthy throughout the Celtic Tiger boom, did not seem to drop in numbers of homeless people.

this is a very valid point and it can be difficult to directly relate particular micro-social problems with macro-economic trends. i.e. counter-cyclical trends during boom/bust.

In simple terms, I would suggest that standard (neo-classical) economics takes too narrow a view/understanding of the likely evolutionary social impacts of "positive" and "negative" trends. e.g. a boom economy can trigger the same micro level social trends leading to homelessness, such as substance abuse - family break-up - domestic, as would occur in a downturn.

Isn't this all to do with the corelation and difference between macro and micro economics?

This is the age old question of why we continue using the system we use if it fucks people up when it is working and when it is not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back