Your work situation (2 Viewers)

Apologies to Dan, but I think he's off here. Lessons are instructions.
Not everyone's learning at a lesson. Most people are on their phone.
Learning is what we're supposed to get from lessons, but it's not always the case.
Learning is the object goal of lessons. But not the same thing. So not really interchangeable.

Still going with Learnings here.
Yeah, I used the term because it is useful.

Knowledge also isn't synonymous with learnings.

This hill I shall die on.

Did they have people die on that show every week?

Like for yuks?
It was about a funeral home, of course people died every week.

I am the only one hyping the eclipse. No one else seems to care tbh
America is not the sun in our Copernican model of the universe.

They did. It was a great series, until it wasn't
It was always a great series. Last episode is the best TV ever. Such an incredible payoff. I want to watch it all again now.

It's typical corporate deflecting the person from the sentence.
Saying we will do something assumes responsibility
Going forward avoids it.

Learnings is for people who haven't been learning grammar.

I don't know that it works as well, "We will" is very open-ended.

What 'Going forward' has for it, it is it's 'from here on out' - we're making a change and we're progressing 'forward'.

My feeling is that people push back against it because it sounds corporate and conjures up the kind of slick insincere folks who might want to privatise libraries or invest the old-age-pension in blockchain currency.
The phrase itself is harmless.
I can't get angry about something like this. I hear people say it, I know what it means and I move on.

Right so, I checked the Oxford Dictionary of English and yeah, ‘learnings’ is an actual word. Sorry, Pete. I wish it wasn’t. Or weren’t. But it is. However, I still hold that it’s unnecessary when we already have ‘lessons’.
I really have to quibble again here.
Teachers give lessons. Students learn.
They are distinct things.

I really have to quibble again here.
Teachers give lessons. Students learn.
They are distinct things.

Not quite.

lesson, noun
1 a period of learning or teaching: an advanced lesson in maths | a driving lesson.
• a thing learned or to be learned by a pupil: he had a facility for languages and had learned his lessons well.
• a thing learned by experience: lessons should have been learned from two similar collisions.
• an experience or event that serves as a warning or encouragement: let that be a lesson to you!

Not quite.

lesson, noun
1 a period of learning or teaching: an advanced lesson in maths | a driving lesson.
• a thing learned or to be learned by a pupil: he had a facility for languages and had learned his lessons well.
• a thing learned by experience: lessons should have been learned from two similar collisions.
• an experience or event that serves as a warning or encouragement: let that be a lesson to you!
I mean, I think you have to thread a pretty narrow needle here to say lessons mean something is learned

I just can't see an example of the knowledge actually being taken on board without appending the word 'learn' into the sentence.

But probably not everyone's gonna see it the same way

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back