Your work situation (4 Viewers)

For various reasons, I might just leave it drop. Have applied for another job and if I come across as showing sour grapes...
I'd asked HR explicitly what format the interview would take and was told to use the STAR method in my answers to discuss my career - none of the questions I was asked were suited to STAR style answers.

My girlfriend applied for a HSE job earlier today. Within minutes someone rang her to say they just needed written permission from her line manager before they would process the application.

Who the hell gets permission from their existing manager to apply for another job?

A woman in work called herself my Work Best Friend. I'm here 3 years and have only really remembered her name since October.
This just makes me feel really sad, and a bit of a bitch, but mainly sad.

A woman in work called herself my Work Best Friend. I'm here 3 years and have only really remembered her name since October.
oh god

For various reasons, I might just leave it drop. Have applied for another job and if I come across as showing sour grapes...
I'd asked HR explicitly what format the interview would take and was told to use the STAR method in my answers to discuss my career - none of the questions I was asked were suited to STAR style answers.

Pricks gave you a bum steer. They could have at least given you a heads up that the interview would be a technical
One
My girlfriend applied for a HSE job earlier today. Within minutes someone rang her to say they just needed written permission from her line manager before they would process the application.

Who the hell gets permission from their existing manager to apply for another job?

it’s fucking ridiculous but that’s the HSE protoco; you have to ask if you can apply for another role in the HSE. And they can say no, which is common because of external hiring moratorium.

It's considered bad manners in certain contexts where I work, to poach staff. Happened recently where one part of the organisation arranged for visas, education, etc., for a lad, and the instant the ink was dry on those, another part of the organisation poached him.

It's considered bad manners in certain contexts where I work, to poach staff. Happened recently where one part of the organisation arranged for visas, education, etc., for a lad, and the instant the ink was dry on those, another part of the organisation poached him.
I can see the logic from a business point of view, but it really puts employees in a terrible position

there used to be one i was her work crush, but also that it was entirely functional to keep her brain active in work and the minute she moved on it would terminate. It just turned into a bit of craic then because there was room to wind each other up after that. might be that kinda thing?

well, that was a disaster for reasons 180 degrees from what i expected. it was a technical quiz, not a job interview as you'd expect. not a single question about my career to date. questions about the differences between acronyms, that sort of thing.
did i mention (i know i didn't) that the very first question was 'what's the difference between acronym X and acronym Y?'
acronym X and acronym Y are in the fucking job title.
'hello and welcome to the job interview for chief chemical engineer for shell. can you tell me what the difference between petrol and diesel is?'

Last edited:
they were two purely technical guys and asked technical 'do you know the topic' questions - i

did i mention (i know i didn't) that the very first question was 'what's the difference between acronym X and acronym Y?'
acronym X and acronym Y are in the fucking job title.
'hello and welcome to the job interview for chief chemical engineer for shell. can you tell me what the difference between petrol and diesel is?'
Did you know or not?

one problem is acronym Y can mean different things to different people. i gave one definition.
i used to be the company expert in the product which provided acronym X for us, before they decided to save money by buying a cheaper (but shit) product. in a sense, i was interviewing for my old job back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back