World Cup 2010 draw (1 Viewer)

Unicron

Supporter
Solutions
Website
theformersovietreublic.bandcamp.com
England are seeded.

Pot 1 (seeds)
South Africa, Germany, Brazil, Italy, Spain, England, Argentina, Holland.

Pot 2 (Europe)
France, Portugal, Slovenia, Switzerland, Greece, Serbia, Denmark, Slovakia.

Pot 3 (Africa and South America)
Ivory Coast, Ghana, Cameroon, Nigeria, Algeria, Paraguay, Chile, Uruguay.

Pot 4 (Asia, Oceania and North/Central America)
Japan, South Korea, North Korea, Australia, New Zealand, USA, Mexico, Honduras.

Toughest potential group: Spain/Brazil (too close to call but if I were to be parochial I'd say Spain), France, Ivory Coast, USA

Weakest potential group: South Africa, Switzerland, Algeria, New Zealand.

I'm still going to be mad excited when the tournament comes around, but I'll still be bitter for the draw.

Don't think they broke up the pots on a regional basis before.

I'm still going to be mad excited when the tournament comes around, but I'll still be bitter for the draw.

Don't think they broke up the pots on a regional basis before.

I think they did in 2006 as well. Personally I feel it'd be better if they seeded all 4 pots and had a rule that no more than 2 teams from any confederation could be drawn together. It'd complicate matters a little but would lead to more balanced groups.

Of course, seeing as they've already made their draw decision I don't think they should change it now, that would be unfair obviously.

always nice to have a group of death or two tho. also, it is usual for the host nation to be seeded?

I think they did in 2006 as well. Personally I feel it'd be better if they seeded all 4 pots and had a rule that no more than 2 teams from any confederation could be drawn together. It'd complicate matters a little but would lead to more balanced groups.

Of course, seeing as they've already made their draw decision I don't think they should change it now, that would be unfair obviously.

Didn't they do something like that before? I seem to recall back in 1990 some teams were kept apart on a geographical basis, but ourselves and England weren't, for some reason..

Brilliant. Would have loved to see Blatter and Platini turn bright red and vomit themselves to death. well just in general like.

Seeding is ruining football simply because it weakens the stronger nations and causes a lull early on in the tourniment. By the time Italy, Spain, Brazil, Germany and England have gotten through the first round (which apart from Italy they always do easily) they've basically played two warm up kick arounds and one actual match then in the second they play a team which has probably played out of it's skin to get there and in doing so are off and running early and in mid stride before the match. This is the round i love. When Mexico nearly beat Argentina last time out it was fucking glorious football.

The seeding is so pointless when you actually think about it. even if Brazil and Spain were drawn in the same group you'd still expect them to qualify. and the chances of three big teams being drawn in the same group is ridiculously remote to begin with.

For as long as I can remember, the World Cup groups have been seeded. I don't see any reason not to seed them. It would be a complete break with convention, serving no particular purpose.
Keep the big teams apart and make the pretenders earn their places in the latter stages by beating powerful countries, rather than progressing by default with wins against other unproven teams. The World Cup is in some way supposed to find the best team around and you don't do that by having a bunch of good teams knock each other out early on.
But we're all against seeding as a symbol of corruption now, I see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back