World Cup 2014 qualifying draw (1 Viewer)

Anyone who isn't Holland, Germany (good chance they'll be European champions by the time we're playing them) or Spain would have been a decent draw. Otherwise it's not awful, Austria are pretty rubbish at the minute and Swedan haven't really made the most of the talents of their players in years (they're not even that talented these days Ibra aside), a play off spot isn't out of the question.

Not quite the toughest draw we could have got (Groups I, F and arguably D would have been worse, I reckon) but it's on the difficult side. Germany have lost 2 World Cup qualifier games ever and inevitably finish top of their group, fancy us to give them a decent game and maybe take a couple of points but we won't match them over 10 games. It basically comes down to whether we can overhaul Sweden. Apparently we haven't played them competitively in 40 years, the only time I remember was Stan's first game. Doing well enough in their Euros group at the moment and were unlucky to miss the last World Cup but I don't think they're a team we should fear.

Austria will be far from an easy 6 points but aren't far off the level of Georgia or Armenia at the moment. As for Faroes & Kazaks, interesting and tricky trips but you'd have to hope we can grind out the 4 wins. Looking far ahead the problem is that even if we make the playoffs you'll most likely already have one of Russia\Portugal and France\Spain (France, so) in there, and it'll be seeded again, so we need to win a few games and boost our ranking.

The group is so-so I reckon. Harder than the current Euro qualifier but still OK. Austria are pure rubbish these days I understand, and Sweden don't have much in the tank either to worry about unduly. I can't see us even holding Germany at home, but I think we've as much reason to feel we can get one over on the Swedes than they do of us. The rest is the usual. The Faroes will no doubt be talked up a lot, but they're still a plumber shy of a pub team.

I really think we are boned on this one chaps. We will get nothing from the two Germany games (although I don't think sweden have the capacity to get anything either) and I think we are far more likely to slip up against Austria then Sweden are, never mind our head to head with them.

I think we are far more likely to slip up against Austria then Sweden are, never mind our head to head with them.
Why? Austria are crap. The only pot 4 teams that are worse is probably NI and Albania, so you could apply your reading of our chances to any draw really.

Yeah, 21 caps, as a winger though: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_O'Callaghan

Ireland's team should be a bit different by the time these qualifiers actually start in 14 months, hopefully will have the
likes of Coleman, McCarthy & Clark established in the side, maybe Meyler, could have lost Duffer & possibly Keane to
retirement.. Sweden have a few 34-35 year olds in their first team lineup who'll presumably finish up by then so they
could be "in transition". I'm sure we'll be able to push them pretty close for 2nd anyway. Got to win the Euros first
and the rest will take care of itself..

didn't we have a qualifying campaign with sweden in it in the 90's? i seem to remember mark kennedy scoring against them...may have been a friendly..

it's touch, and no where near as easy as england's. is that fifa's way of apologising?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back