Official World Cup 2010 Thread (1 Viewer)

Interested to see where Spain go from here. Puyol & Capdevila are 32 and Xavi is 30, after winning 2 major tournaments in a row will they be inclined to carry on in international football? I know Capdevila is the supposed weak link in the Spanish side but there's not much in the way of cover for him unless there's a kid coming through that I don't know about.

Ah, that's lovely. So is she. Very lovely.

Anyway, I will go against the grain here. I enjoyed that. I didn't enjoy the first half one bit, but then it developed into the kind of engrossing game you only get at major tournaments. It was all on the line, there were chances at either end, the tension was severe. And then a proper, beautifully-taken goal won it. It certainly wasn't boring in extra time. I think some people (TV pundits and armchair fuckbrains alike) are prone to making their minds up early in a match and then sticking by that analysis regardless of what transpires.
Anyway, delighted that Spain won and delighted a nice lad like Iniesta gets the glory.

I sat on the steps of a closed hotel at the worlds most remote train station, France, for the world cup final 2010.

I have a photo of it.

It definately picked up in extra time. Glad Holland didn't win it in the end but if Robben had put away one of those one-on-one chances it would've made things a lot more interesting. Wasn't a vintage tournament by any means but I dunno how you can be a football fan and not get at least some enjoyment out of it, no real classics but plenty of tense dramatic games.. Uruguay v Ghana, Italy v Slovakia, USA v Slovenia, Uruguay v Germany, Cameroon v Denmark, South Korea v Uruguay, and Uruguay v Germany all come to mind, basically most games involving Uruguay. Plus the first hour or so of England v Germany was one the craziest games I can remember in a long time. Loads of good stories too like the downfall of Italy & France, Uruguay's run, Germany's young lads turning out to brilliant, Maradona's return, New Zealand, that octopus, the fucking vuvuzelas..

Anyway, I will go against the grain here. I enjoyed that. I didn't enjoy the first half one bit, but then it developed into the kind of engrossing game you only get at major tournaments. It was all on the line, there were chances at either end, the tension was severe. And then a proper, beautifully-taken goal won it. It certainly wasn't boring in extra time. I think some people (TV pundits and armchair fuckbrains alike) are prone to making their minds up early in a match and then sticking by that analysis regardless of what transpires.
Anyway, delighted that Spain won and delighted a nice lad like Iniesta gets the glory.

I agree with this, so no need to re-write it. Thanks Moods.

Also I was told yesterday that New Zealand were the only unbeaten team in the World Cup....

Which came about after the referee gave Spain a goal-kick off Sneijder's free-kick that everyone in the stadium could see hit off a Spanish player in the wall. Oops.

It didn't come directly from that mistake. I've no idea why anyone would conflate the two. Holland had the ball again after that, Elia might have been fouled: marginal call.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

ahhhh!!!! i'd heard about that. fair play to him.
that said, i don't speak spanish. he could have been breaking up with her.

Well said

You don't deserve the World Cup.

Well said!

I've never seen a rollercoaster world cup final, the last one being on when I was three (Argies vs W. Germany in Mexico) and so this one was no different. Too much to lose to play like eejits, so everyone plays very tight. Holland were nasty and De Jong should've gone but the rest of the bitching by the usual Guardian comment moron crowd that Holland "should've been down to 8 men at half time" was a load of fucking hystrionic cock as usual. A world cup final and tournament football in general generates its own drama. The labelling of this savage Dutch team as "disgraceful" is a load of santimonious drivel - they're unbeaten for two years and were eventually edged out by the best team in the world. They aren't disgraces - England are somewhat disgraceful for their attitude. Italy are somewhat disgraceful for their performance as champions - France, now there's a real and true proper disgraceful performance in a World Cup. Not the Dutch, who refused to let the fact that Brazil or Spain are better than them get in the way of trying to win the tournament.

Well done to Uruguay too! Roll on the Euros.

I started off cheering on Holland as I always do with underdogs but by full time I didn't give a fuck who won I just wanted it over. It would be nice to say Spain were the better team and played the better football but it would imply that Holland were a team which tried to play football which would be an insult to anyone who's ever played football.

I've never seen a rollercoaster world cup final, the last one being on when I was three (Argies vs W. Germany in Mexico) and so this one was no different. Too much to lose to play like eejits, so everyone plays very tight. Holland were nasty and De Jong should've gone but the rest of the bitching by the usual Guardian comment moron crowd that Holland "should've been down to 8 men at half time" was a load of fucking hystrionic cock as usual. A world cup final and tournament football in general generates its own drama. The labelling of this savage Dutch team as "disgraceful" is a load of santimonious drivel - they're unbeaten for two years and were eventually edged out by the best team in the world. They aren't disgraces - England are somewhat disgraceful for their attitude. Italy are somewhat disgraceful for their performance as champions - France, now there's a real and true proper disgraceful performance in a World Cup. Not the Dutch, who refused to let the fact that Brazil or Spain are better than them get in the way of trying to win the tournament.

Well done to Uruguay too! Roll on the Euros.

THe Guardian comment bitches are very good at sanctimonious, moralising drivel.

I'm not sure if excusing the way the dutch played by saying that it's the only chance they had to win the thing absolves them from deserving the condemnation that they've been getting. They're a horrible pack of cunts even it it was they only way they could do it.

It's like the scorpion and the frog, the scorpion was still an arsehole.

Before the tournament I watched Holland destroy Hungary 6-0 by playing like Spain I thought they were a real team. I love a good defensive display but that was just loonacy. You can't say that the Dutch game plan involved booting lads in the chest. Any decent Ref would have sent De jong, Van Bommell and Heitinga off by half time and where would your argument be then ? If the ref had done what he what he was supposed to would you seriously be here saying that they weren't a disgrace ? Would you fuck. They were lucky not to get a hiding in a second half were they had 8 players left. AND Robben should have gone for being a petulent cunt to. So 7 players, they should have finished up with 7 fucking players on the field. Not a disgrace ?

I'm not sure if excusing the way the dutch played by saying that it's the only chance they had to win the thing absolves them from deserving the condemnation that they've been getting. They're a horrible pack of cunts even it it was they only way they could do it.

It's like the scorpion and the frog, the scorpion was still an arsehole.

That wasn't breaking the play up that was thuggery. Would Uruguay have played like that ? No they wouldn't. *throws pen*

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back