Terrible referee decisions that are ruining the World Cup (1 Viewer)

Rugby is also a flowing game, and the introduction of technology was applied sensibly and works fine. Rugby is a sport that is becoming increasingly popular around the world; you probably don't realise that because you only seem to be aware of what is happening with Irish rugby.
If you disagree with changes being made to how football is run in regard to the introduction of technology etc., you're not just disagreeing with me, you're disagreeing with probably about 90% of journalists, players, ex-players, and commentators on the game. This nonsense about the game flowing etc. is the sort of bullshit FIFA come out with to try and appease people with their stupid decisions. Fine lot of sense it makes when you get utterly ridiculous decisions happening.
Let's look at how well this Paraguay - Japan game, which I am watching right now, is flowing, shall we? After 80 minutes of this match so far, I can break it down pretty accurately like so:

Corner. Goal-kick. Free-kick. Corner. Goal-kick. Free-kick. Corner. Goal-kick.

That's your flowing game right there. A series of set-pieces, one after the other, which is all this game has been. Flowing my fucking arse.

I give up. It's not possible to argue sensibly with you, mainly because you present everything as an uncontestable fact when it is nothing of the sort. Everyone else had probably figured this out already.

it's not about flow, though, is it? it's about human decisions. refs do make mistakes, but so do players. you don't get a second chance as a yakubu type player with an empty net right in front of you. humans make mistakes and that's crucial to the game.

so the ball was over theline, that should be changed, but it happens rarely. everything else is down to interpretation. was that ball that skrtl cleared off the line over? i watched it about 20 times and couldn't make up my mind. what then?goal? no goal? anarchy, man, that's what will hppen. rugby players don't question the ref, he's the authority and that's given, but if you disintermediate the ref in football, you take away his power. anarchy!

talking about fuck up is so much more rewarding.

anyone watch the match last night on itv? they spent half the time bigging up the ref. "he looks like a world cup final ref" said beglin. the ref was howard webb of course. england still rules.

You bring in technology, you give the refs the power to take the correct actions to punish players that are trying to cheat, as well as the ability to make the correct calls in difficult situations. That's what's happened in Rugby, and that is why rugby players don't question the refs, and that is also where rugby players are about 10 times less likely to cheat than footballers.
FIFA has been unwilling to do any of that, and it is only because of the glaring problems this is causing now that they might consider changing things, about 10 years too late.

On the subject of flow and rugby; the only situations when Rugby uses a video ref is on occasions when one way or the other the ball has gone dead. In football the ball comes back over the line and play continues, in rugby either it's a try or something else to stop play. A foot in touch before the ball is grounded for the try then you've got a lineout, a defending player beats an attacker to a kick through and it's a 22 drop out, the ball goes dead or touch and in goal before grounding and it's a scrum back from where the kick forward was, an incorrectly grounded or dropped over the line ball then it's a scrum 5 defending ball, occasions when it's inconclusive whether or not the ball has been grounded or when the ball has been held up over the line then it's an attacking 5 m scrum. As far as I can think that's pretty much the only occasions when a video ref comes in to play.

As for the assertion that rubgy players are 10 times less likely to cheat, one of the basic functions of the openside flanker is to cheat. It's impossible to be good at that postion and not be a cheat.

St. Fechin sent me abusive text messages for supporting Ghana :(

You're the Marcel Desailly of Thumped, which makes me the Ron Atkinson of our text messages, obviously.

Ron-Atkinson-Its-Christmas---L-229715.jpg

Nigeria planning to withdraw from international competition for two years. FIFA respond by threatening to suspend them. Good thinking there, FIFA.

Nigeria planning to withdraw from international competition for two years. FIFA respond by threatening to suspend them. Good thinking there, FIFA.

It's perfectly reasonable. About the only thing that FIFA does well is coming down on governments who try to interfere in the game. The Nigerian goverment has no business trying to ban their team from playing matches. The issue with Togo and the ACN was a different matter and handled poorly, like it could possibly be handled well, but was ultimately resolved.

It's perfectly reasonable. About the only thing that FIFA does well is coming down on governments who try to interfere in the game. The Nigerian goverment has no business trying to ban their team from playing matches. The issue with Togo and the ACN was a different matter and handled poorly, like it could possibly be handled well, but was ultimately resolved.

Yeh agreed. They follow a strict line about governments interfering with football associations to the extent that I'm pretty sure they banned Greece for about a week a year or two ago. It only works because they are willing to do it to established football nations as well as using as a threat against less well established (i.e. 3rd world) governments.

I was thinking that suspension wouldn't make a whole lot of difference if they had pulled out of internationals anyway, but apparently there's monies withheld and the like, so it's not the empty gesture I took it for.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back