whelans (1 Viewer)

damien said:
we know you do, dude. unfortunatly i've heard a lot, lot more shit talked on derek nally than flowing tributes to his life and works.

maybe so. I base my opions of people on how they treat me, and how I see them treat other people. people "talking shit" is of little value to me

i agree, i'm sure everyone bases their judgement on how they, individually get treated in their own dealings. it was just an observation, i'm not launching some kind of personal crusade or anything.

u:m said:
this is nothing new, its always been that way.

No, they changed the policy about 3 weeks ago.
It was the first thing they said to us when we started loading in for our March 3rd gig.
That guy Alistair who works there was openly apologetic about it as he was telling us about the new rules.
It's now a *strict* 10.30 curfew.

Hang on ... that's Patrick Kavanagh??!!
Yeah - I didn't believe it either and insisted it was an early Frames fan, but it was what I was lead to believe over the years. Turns out a trip to the Whelan's website solved all questioning of it and it's just a random "stone man, a life size statue of a lone Dublin drinker propped against the Stone Bar. The statue is made with fired wood chips - a complex paper maché." Feck sake, they may as well stick a plaque on it claiming it for Irelands literary greats, it can be a mission for some of ye with a bottle of tippex and seven double-vodkas and Red Bulls in you.

This is probably of no use whatsoever, but if its an empty and dodgy Dublin bar that people are looking for, you could do worse than check out the Welcome Inn on Parnell St. I'm not even sure if its still open, but its as desolute as hell any time I've been in there. Some people I know have talked to your man who runs it who is a fairly young lad, and apparently he's well sound.

Leechrum made good use of the Legal Eagle for that Leprachaun Error Tour as well, so maybe thats open for gigs? I'd imagine it costs a pretty penny, given over as it seems to "functions" more often than not.

I love whelans and the dudes who book it and the village
Re: dudes: Me too. I've just found it increasingly not too fun to play.
Hennessy is, to use a munster term, a legend.

Antrophe said:
This is probably of no use whatsoever, but if its an empty and dodgy Dublin bar that people are looking for, you could do worse than check out the Welcome Inn on Parnell St. I'm not even sure if its still open, but its as desolute as hell any time I've been in there. Some people I know have talked to your man who runs it who is a fairly young lad, and apparently he's well sound.
THE WELCOME IN IS FUCKIN' GREAT. ONE OF THE FEW BOOZERS I LIKE. OLD AS SHIT. THE WALL PAPER RULES. LIKE A PULP VIDEO. LIKE CAMBER SANDS. LIKE A PUB IN A RORY GALLAGHER VIDEO. LIKE A BURGER YOU THINK MIGHT HAVE GONE COLD, BUT YOU BITE IT AND IT'S PERFECT.
BARMAN JOHN IS SOUND TO THE MAX.

OPENING HOURS ARE INTERMITTENT. IT'S BEEN "DAY TO DAY" FOR YEARS THAT PLACE. DO IT.

THE STATUE IN WHELANS IS A CAST OF ONE OF VAN MORRISSON'S SHITS. FACT.

I'LL HAVE MORE KNOWLEDGE FOR YOUR ASS WHEN I FEEL LIKE IT.....
ALLAHQUAANNNDO!!!!

muffin said:
smiley.jpg

Wipe yer nose Smiley 'ksake....

this is nothing new, its always been that way. they're pretty easy going about it, unless the early gig is sold out, in which case its more important to them to end the gig, so that they can open up the whole place and get money off people who want to pay in to the disco. It can somtimes be a pain in the ass, but I guess the money from the late night disco is what keeps the place open. It's pretty much the same deal with most venues, not just in ireland, but all over..

I love whelans and the dudes who book it and the village

it wasn't always like that ... not in my day anyway :) and that 'made-up' VAT thing they charge you on the money taken at the door. it stinks to high heaven. venues like whelans/village make an insane amount of money on beer/spirits - the mark-up is craaaaazy. in other parts of the world (US, Uk, Italy, etc. etc.), hiring venues is sometimes free and they even go out of their way to help you promote the shows - the attitutde is if the show does well, it's good for beer sales. and good gigs that people enjoy and don't feel like cattle being shuffled from one room to another to make way for teeming druken idiot-sluts only adds to the reputation of the venue.
i couldn't love people who tell you you have a show booked and then bump you for some crappy mcd gig, it's too much of a mind-leap for me.

old said:
Re: dudes: Me too. I've just found it increasingly not too fun to play.
Hennessy is, to use a munster term, a legend.
i always found hennessy to be a great guy - he always treated me fairly. i just found him to have less and less of a hand in booking shows - which had a direct impact on how people percieve the place. but hearts out for JH - sound, sound bloke.

its rather mental that dorans has become such a kip that nobody even considers it anymore. with a bit of investment they could have a real decent venue but alas its a fucking hole. its got an ideal set up but its just a dark dingey shit sounding stink pot.

I am looking for the 'function room to fit 70 odd people with understanding management' set up for putting on gigs in Navan. Turns out a pub in the town already has the same idea. I haven't had a chance to get down there and have a good chat to them yet but I'll keep you all posted.

Anthony said:
I am looking for the 'function room to fit 70 odd people with understanding management' set up for putting on gigs in Navan. Turns out a pub in the town already has the same idea. I haven't had a chance to get down there and have a good chat to them yet but I'll keep you all posted.

Thats a good idea.Maybe the kids in Dunshaughlin would travel up and play these gigs because they have nowhere else to play.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back