whelans (1 Viewer)

damien said:
i've an amazing idea, why don't we all boycott whelans and other venues with dodgy admission/late club policies take back the dublin music scene for ourselves! yeah!
Indeed the beardy one is correct, I gave up on Whelans yoinks ago, hurrah for small pub venues

hurrah!

Oh as someone pointed out earlier they rush the people out to start the 2nd part of the night up €€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€€

damien said:
i've an amazing idea, why don't we all boycott whelans and other venues with dodgy admission/late club policies take back the dublin music scene for ourselves! yeah!
ha, damo. good one. that would require some kind of community - overarching respect for the music and not getting on the cover of hotpress. all posers here... just what whelans etc counts on trying this shit on. they laugh at us you know. it's terrible. damo, you should burn it down.

woops, left out my <sarcasm> tags again. guess i forgot them when i ditched my <idealism>.

seriously though, if you all stopped creaming yourselves over whelans as a venue, stopped jumping over each other to play there and book the place, they wouldn't be able to command such power. i know that right now there's no decent alternative (even the voodoo lounge has started this half venue/half club nonsense) but surely one is out there waiting to be discovered/set up.

this kinda thing is the reason i love the boh's bar.. often the sound is crap and the band set up is dodgy but they always keep the bar open past closing time, allow you to be as loud as you want, and if there's something important they need to bump you for (aul wan's birthday party or whatever), they let you have the special players/officials only bar as a venue.

seanc said:
Well, in pubs that throw a band into the corner and expect them to sound spot on with no moniters or drum mics or engineer etc.

99% of the gigs i've ever played have had that set up and i've never had a problem with it. better that than an arguement with a soundperson who has no idea about what you're trying to do and couldn't give a fuck even if they did.

seanc said:
Well, in pubs that throw a band into the corner and expect them to sound spot on with no moniters or drum mics or engineer etc.

I suppose it comes down to expectations. I've played gigs in pubs that have sounded fine without drum mics, engineers etc. Takes time to make sure the sound is all right but it can be done. My favourite venues are the smallish function rooms above pubs like The Hut or The Stag's Head etc.

Aye, engineer's can be a mixed bag alright. You can sort that if you get your own though.

I guess I just don't understand the punx.....................

There's been talk on thumped over the years of people
getting together to buy/rent a truely independent venue
a la warzone in dublin, but it seems to have always fallen through
not through want of trying i'm sure but because it's so difficult to do
in Dublin.

do ye think a place like Boh's could be convinced into backing
a full time venue on their grounds or somewhere else, were parternerships
like that ever explored ? They pretty much do it already i suppose,
but a dedicated music venue might attract even more punters, they
get the bar , but everthing else is controlled by the community.

Surely thumped subscriptions now run into the millions of $$
and could buy a venue

myra.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back