whelans (2 Viewers)

I think the lower deck is a model for how other pubs could go about putting music on.

Personally, I'd like to put my gigs on in a non-pub setting. I did one in the new theatre (RIP) and bought in wine from Lidl that we gave away for free. I'd definitely be interested in doing more gigs along these lines when I emerge from semi-retirement this summer.

Mumblin Deaf Ro said:
Personally, I'd like to put my gigs on in a non-pub setting. I did one in the new theatre (RIP) and bought in wine from Lidl that we gave away for free. I'd definitely be interested in doing more gigs along these lines when I emerge from semi-retirement this summer.
I was looking at 'non-pub setting' for putting on the evens. There's loads of halls around dublin, molesworth hall on st anne street, larkin room in liberty hall, atgwu hall on middle abbey street, dublin christian mission on lwr abbey street, st nicholas of myra francis street are just a few. Anyone keen on trying to get something regular in a place like these???

niallmc said:
I was looking at 'non-pub setting' for putting on the evens. There's loads of halls around dublin, molesworth hall on st anne street, larkin room in liberty hall, atgwu hall on middle abbey street, dublin christian mission on lwr abbey street, st nicholas of myra francis street are just a few. Anyone keen on trying to get something regular in a place like these???

Thanks for that. I'd be one for organising a once-off in one of those places, but I couldn't take on a regular thing.

damien said:
woops, left out my <sarcasm> tags again. guess i forgot them when i ditched my <idealism>.

seriously though, if you all stopped creaming yourselves over whelans as a venue, stopped jumping over each other to play there and book the place, they wouldn't be able to command such power. i know that right now there's no decent alternative (even the voodoo lounge has started this half venue/half club nonsense) but surely one is out there waiting to be discovered/set up.

this kinda thing is the reason i love the boh's bar.. often the sound is crap and the band set up is dodgy but they always keep the bar open past closing time, allow you to be as loud as you want, and if there's something important they need to bump you for (aul wan's birthday party or whatever), they let you have the special players/officials only bar as a venue.
So fucking true and so fuckingw ell put, I want to cream over the beardy one the way yas all cream over Whelans/The Village

I mean I like the Buzzcocks but in no fucking way will I go to watch them in the shithole that is The Village........fuck bouncers and people treating u like kids, at 41 I cannot and will not stand for it :p

seanc said:
Aye, engineer's can be a mixed bag alright. You can sort that if you get your own though.

I guess I just don't understand the punx.....................
Maybe not but Punk is all about DIY no authority no rules, yet we never have fights at our gigs.

I have never set foot in the Point and The Ambassador just the once, I class the TBMC as a big venue and gave up on that too, The Voodoo would be the "biggest" place I would venture and to most of 'use that would be tiny.

U cannot beat a pub gig where u are eye levelk with the band and in most cases actually behind them at times lol.

u:m said:
maybe so. I base my opions of people on how they treat me, and how I see them treat other people. people "talking shit" is of little value to me
But they treat other people shit.......fuck leaving a gig at 10.30. and when I used to go there all the bouncers do is stare at people.
I don't class that as fun........

JANER said:
Maybe not but Punk is all about DIY no authority no rules, yet we never have fights at our gigs.

I have never set foot in the Point and The Ambassador just the once, I class the TBMC as a big venue and gave up on that too, The Voodoo would be the "biggest" place I would venture and to most of 'use that would be tiny.

U cannot beat a pub gig where u are eye levelk with the band and in most cases actually behind them at times lol.
I get ya.
I was thinkin about this over the last cupla days, and the best gigs I've been at have been the ones that seemed like total shams. No soundcheck, or no crowd, or whatever. I've been spoiled by the likes of Whelan's and TBMC I guess (I still like em though). Was at this show in Rivervalley, pretty young crowd, and they were really into it, none of this chin stroking cooler than thou shite. it was deadly. Awesome.

Although, I've been at some awful awful pub gigs too. Saw a gig in the Big Tree, and the sound just vibrated all the wood and bounced all over the place, totally unsuitable.

What's Slattery's in Rathmines like? They pay you to play I believe.

The Scientician said:
I asked John in The Welcome Inn and he said he doesn't put on gigs :( .

Probably best for all concerned, John sometimes closes the bar and chucks everyone out at 9pm with no explanation.

The ice bar on Parnell St. seems to have a pretty eclectic music policy, really sound staff too, I've been to a few good nights in there maybe they would be willing to let bands play?

seanc said:
I get ya.
I was thinkin about this over the last cupla days, and the best gigs I've been at have been the ones that seemed like total shams. No soundcheck, or no crowd, or whatever. I've been spoiled by the likes of Whelan's and TBMC I guess (I still like em though). Was at this show in Rivervalley, pretty young crowd, and they were really into it, none of this chin stroking cooler than thou shite. it was deadly. Awesome.

Although, I've been at some awful awful pub gigs too. Saw a gig in the Big Tree, and the sound just vibrated all the wood and bounced all over the place, totally unsuitable.

What's Slattery's in Rathmines like? They pay you to play I believe.

No chance if your nayway metal/punk/noise inclined.

More of a blues/jazz/trad place which is no bad thing either.

Welcome Inn is closed years, passed it last nite and it's like the parrot from Monthy Python.

One of the very 1st pubs I got served in too, lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back