whelans (2 Viewers)

i had the notion a few years ago of buying a PA, finding a crappy pub with an underused function room and convincing the owner to let me open a venue there. seems to be what smiley bolger did down through the years.. his last place, the music room, was a great venue.

music room was great, the lights always made it seem so cosy. deadly gigs too. Does Smiley have a venue now? or has he become disillusioned ?

he set up in the green lizard on francis street after the music room, most of the bar staff who worked in the old place went there too. unluckily for them someone was shot in the head soon after and the whole place seems to have closed down since. some luck.

damien said:
he set up in the green lizard on francis street after the music room, most of the bar staff who worked in the old place went there too. unluckily for them someone was shot in the head soon after and the whole place seems to have closed down since. some luck.

smiley tends to get a lot of slagging but he was one of the soundest people i've met through gigs... zero bullshit (despite the fact he calls people 'cats' and stuff :) ) ... would love to see him set up shop again.

swingkid said:
some of the best gigs i've been at have been in those places!

seriously-size doesnt matter

ND_London88_whole03.jpg

i'm a big fan of the boom boom room now after the ballroom there.

with the auld tables rearranged a little it makes for a cracking venue. deadly atmosphere, no chatter from the bar, reasonable hire price.

Buckrake said:
smiley tends to get a lot of slagging but he was one of the soundest people i've met through gigs... zero bullshit (despite the fact he calls people 'cats' and stuff :) ) ... would love to see him set up shop again.
Agreed. I set up/played a couple of gigs in Slatterys and the Music Room. Winner.
I hope to fuck I never have to play Whelans again.

dudley said:
i'm a big fan of the boom boom room now after the ballroom there.
with the auld tables rearranged a little it makes for a cracking venue. deadly atmosphere, no chatter from the bar, reasonable hire price.

me too, but it's too small for certain gigs... you can't imagine hot snakes or billy childish or nomeansno (all packed out whelan's in the last year or two) getting away with it in the boom boom without the ceiling falling in on the downstairs bar...

hot snakes only had a 130 payers or something, i think, if that, and capacity of boom boom room can be up to 150 at a push, so's i am reliably informed.

i think it could be the way of the future!

dudley said:
hot snakes only had a 130 payers or something, i think, if that, and capacity of boom boom room can be up to 150 at a push, so's i am reliably informed.
i think it could be the way of the future!

i'd be surprised it's 150 - i suppose its all relative.. you certainly couldn't fit 150 of me into the boom boom, but you could probably squash 200 scrawny punks in... or decrepid old bebop fans for that matter ;)

with less seats and that area in the corner utilised better, the boom boom could probably take the new guns'n'roses line up

Why did the Music Room close down anyway - I just remember it being very sudden.

"i've an amazing idea, why don't we all boycott whelans and other venues with dodgy admission/late club policies take back the dublin music scene for ourselves! yeah!"

Nah - man, don't be soft. We should wage a Buckfast fueled jihad on the place, send in suicide squads of street youth pitched with a plan to lynch the DJ and bezerker squads at the back to deliver flying kicks on the Patrick Kavanagh statue for all those years of apologising to it pissed for bumping into it when ordering. Failing that, we just fall back on a plan of spewing projectile vomit at the bouncers.

I reckon what the whores have done is latched on to what that Temple Bar Centre Of Musical Destruction has been doing for ages, and having gig crowds thrown out by 11:00, so they can rush another crowd of unfortunates into it for some dodgy Remedy gig.

Antrophe said:
... youth pitched with a plan to lynch the DJ and bezerker squads at the back to deliver flying kicks on the Patrick Kavanagh statue

Hang on ... that's Patrick Kavanagh??!!

swingkid said:
all gigs there have to be over at 10.30 now?
doors at 7.30?

this is nothing new, its always been that way. they're pretty easy going about it, unless the early gig is sold out, in which case its more important to them to end the gig, so that they can open up the whole place and get money off people who want to pay in to the disco. It can somtimes be a pain in the ass, but I guess the money from the late night disco is what keeps the place open. It's pretty much the same deal with most venues, not just in ireland, but all over..

I love whelans and the dudes who book it and the village

we know you do, dude. unfortunatly i've heard a lot, lot more shit talked on derek nally than flowing tributes to his life and works.

smiley: sounded "music business" person i ever met. think he's packed it in now.

music room: the pub (the firestone/plough) closed down on smiley with zero days notice, it had some dodgy owner and there was hardly ever anyone downstairs, presumably because someone had been stabbed to death with a screwdriver there a few years previously.

boom boom: someone told me he only wants a music policy along the lines of electronic/improv/jazz/etc only there.. true? this venue rules and i would use it all the time if the guy would get back to me/i'd be guaranteed that he wouldn't flake as has happened before.

something productive: brainstorm on possible dodgy (or not!) pubs in central dublin who may have an underused first floor or downstairs room that they might be convinced into letting out to some weird looking people to make strange sounding music in.

damien said:
i've an amazing idea, why don't we all boycott whelans and other venues with dodgy admission/late club policies take back the dublin music scene for ourselves! yeah!

shurrup will ya..damn hippy:rolleyes:

205773200_l.jpg

=

smiley.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back