Water Charges (1 Viewer)

words...can't find any..

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

In Berlin, 12 years of private ownership saw tariffs rise by nearly a quarter, according to Schiffler. But whether or not privatisation was to blame is disputed. Schiffler said that the rise was only marginally higher than the German average and that privatisation in Berlin actually lead to positive consumer outcomes through improved efficiency and service.

Even so, a Berlin consortium of Veolia, RWE and Allianz bore the brunt of public price dissatisfaction. The city bought back its shares in utility Berlinwasser in 2012 and 2013, despite being saddled with very high levels of debt. The process has been repeated in eight other German cities, including Stuttgart andHamburg.

“[Now] they demand that they do in Greece, exactly what they are undoing in Germany,” said Barlow.

Germany's hypocrisy over Greece water privatisation | Guardian Sustainable Business | The Guardian

The Coalition is preparing to alter its approach to water charges in the wake of the Eurostat ruling that Irish Water must remain on the exchequer balance sheet.
The Irish Times understands the proposed changes include linking the €100 water conservation grant to bill payment rather than registration with the company, and significantly extending the period for which the existing water charges caps will apply.
Such changes mean Fine Gael and Labour have effectively accepted Irish Water may not be considered an independent entity by Eurostat for another decade.
While it is being stressed the Coalition has not given up hope that the company may be classified as off the balance sheet, it is now accepted the “likely scenario” is it will not be fully independent for possibly another 10 years.

Irish Water: proposed change to link €100 grant to payment

Anyone on here go on the march?

Very little coverage in the media.

Couldn't tell if it was a big turn out or not.

I went, posted a pic over in the selfies thread. Turn out was decent, I wouldn't say big. No way it was the 80,000 claimed. Somewhere around 20,000 seems more plausible but I'm no professional people counter.

100 Litres Film | A Water Rights Documentary
The United Nations General Assembly of the Human Right to Water and Sanitation has recognized that every human being should have access to 50 -100 litres of clean water, everyday, for personal and domestic uses. When Ireland's government decided to ignore that families have already paid for their water through taxation and charged them twice for any water used, they unwittingly ignited a water revolution that has ricocheted around the world. 100 Litres is a full-length documentary about water privatization in Ireland and the human rights movement being led by Irish citizens.

After yesterday's all out media blitzkrieg by RTE, Newstalk etc. to get people to sign up for the 100 euro "conservation grant" before tonight's deadline, Joe Duffy is doing a last ditch campaign...I mean thoughtful, impartial journalistic piece on why people might not yet have claimed it.
I expect my blood pressure to rise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back