Thumped Book Club (7 Viewers)

Rimbaud, tell us what your nominated book is and we'll stick it in the hat. Jane, maybe we should make it 6.30 in the Lord Edward then for the prize draw:).
If anyone has one of those spinny barrels they use in the Lotto bring it along.

jane said:
Yes, for the winner of the pageant, there will be a contract from Newbridge Silver (just like Miss Ireland), and a bag carefully stained with the grease of a battered sausage.
...followed by a year of chip-shop official opening duties no doubt.

jane said:
Thursday, 6:30, the Lord Eddie. Nice one. I should make it by then.

So wait, I'm to bring my furry cap, my greasy spot, and my paperfluttery-lotto-barrel-belly? Geez, I'll look like a pervy robot. Or, at least, more than usual.
ok and

what are we reading? or are we deciding on the night

I have a shameful confession - I am reading harry potter and the chamber of wizards (or something). I find these books strangely addictive even though JK Rowling must be the biggest charlatan in the whole world and Harry is a shit character. It must be the whole boarding school thing. That or the fact I have been likened to Hermione a time or 20...bah.

Re: Harry Potter and the Chamber of Commerce

jane said:
We're deciding on the night. I think we're putting our names into a "hat" and the person whose name is chosen gets to pick the book for this month.
ok
hopefully it won't be the sorting hat and I won't get sorted into slytherin etc
right
really should shurrup now.

Ok, cool, 6.30, Thursday, Lord Edward. All welcome.

I've never read any of the Harry Potter books. Are they worthwhile in the same way that the Simpsons is worthwhile for adults and children?

I just read a really enjoyable little book called The Ninth Life of Louis Drax by Liz Jensen. It's very cool and very quick and easy to read, but manages to be quite affecting and chilling at the same time. Are we keeping our nominations a secret or can I tell everyone that mine is going to be Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler? No? I've never read it but I just bought it and I figure why not.

Jimmy Magee said:
Is it just me or is it only going to be the three o youse in this here buk club?
probably

Here ladies, Chap-tay's has Jilly Cooper's Riders for €2.99 at the moment
A snip at the price.

Psychotic no 2 said:
Are we keeping our nominations a secret or can I tell everyone that mine is going to be Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler? No? I've never read it but I just bought it and I figure why not.
Is that the one with Moose Molloy ('s liquor stores) in it? I realise you've not read it but it might have given a brief synopsis on the back

kirstie said:
probably

Here ladies, Chap-tay's has Jilly Cooper's Riders for €2.99 at the moment
A snip at the price.

I fucking love Jilly Cooper. I think the reason she gets slagged off is because the people doing the slagging have never read a single word she's written. There, I've said it.

Psychotic no 2 said:
I've never read any of the Harry Potter books. Are they worthwhile in the same way that the Simpsons is worthwhile for adults and children?
Hmm
I have them all and I think the only adults I've ever encountered who think they are amazingly amazing are people who didn't read as kids. And I did, so the cynical part of me knows full well that she's just taking the tried and tested Enid Blyton / Elinor M Brent Dwyer (or whatever her name was, Chalet School Lady) formula of 'Set Book in Boarding School, Sell Million Copies' and combining it with a bit o fantasy / sorcery type stuff in an Ursula Le Guin / CS Lewis vein and hey presto! - she's apparently the best kids writer ever. Which she is not, not by a long chalk, and nowhere near as inventive as Roald Dahl - but I reckon I got suckered by the hype.

I started buying them when I was going to London a lot and all the stuff in Hughes and Huges in the airport either didn't appeal due to its blockbuster nature (oh the irony) or I already had it, and you can read most HP books in about an hour anyway, so I started buying them. Character wise, Harry is a clown - totally shit main character. Hermione is the real star of those books.

Psychotic no 2 said:
I fucking love Jilly Cooper. I think the reason she gets slagged off is because the people doing the slagging have never read a single word she's written. There, I've said it.
and Jackie Collins
I love her too. Quality trash, the pair of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back