Thumped Book Club (2 Viewers)

jane said:
Remember that 'how geeky are you' thread?

You just won.

That's awesome.
well i sort of lied, it was more because i was drunk and needed somewhere to sleep and those gym mats are sooo comfy and it seemed like a good idea at the time....

Liadain said:
well i sort of lied, it was more because i was drunk and needed somewhere to sleep and those gym mats are sooo comfy and it seemed like a good idea at the time....
that's a damn fine story :)

freddienonose said:
Can strangers come to this?
No, this is a big, impenetrable clique, and everyone's talking about it in front of you so that you'll feel excluded.

In other words, why not? As it says on many a tea towel, 'There are no strangers here, only friends you have yet to meet'. I just retched into that particular towel, but, as they say in many circles, 'You know the way.'

Sure, loads of us only pretend to know and like each other on this thing. I'm a morbidly obese, housebound idiot savant, with a head for a knee and a knee for a head. You'll recognise the group when you come face-to-face with my girth, though you will be forewarned by the smell of rotten hops, black-market juniper, and wet aran jumpers. That's me musk. It doesn't get talked about, ok?

By the way, do we have a time for the first meeting? I'll wash my mu-mu special, like. You know, once a year, whether it needs it or not.

Theres me thinkin I was the only one that wore a mu-mu.That and my "fat guy" cap. Do you use a stick to change channels on the t.v. I'm savin for a remote..but you know fast food wont just buy itself.

i know i won't be able to go to these meetings, but i would like to be a virtual member. i have enough faith in some of you to pick some winners. post whatever's picked here, yeah?

Latex lizzie said:
Theres me thinkin I was the only one that wore a mu-mu.That and my "fat guy" cap. Do you use a stick to change channels on the t.v.
Jeez I wonder where all this came from

I do the same meself admittedly

Just watched that Unbearable Lightness of Being movie last night. It's actually fairly good.

Mind you, the first fiteen minutes would put you off: all pretentious aphorisms and tinkly laughter and dodgy Czecheslopudlian accents. Everyone trying to project how sophisticated they are, to draw your attention away from the fact that you're basically watching Benny Hill, only with string quartets instead of kazoos.

But once it settles down with the characters it starts to get absorbing. Plus the creepy secret police types are genuinely creepy.

And, well, Juliet Binoche is in it, which I was so not expecting.

wow... i would love to get pissed with JB, she's so bold and amazing and beautiful. is she good in it? ha ha, silly question...

unbearable_lightness_of_being.jpg

Yeah, she's really good. Actually, that's what I meant to say in my previous post. When the film is trying to impress you with how witty and sophisticated its characters are, it's pretty dire. But once it gets down to the real business of long shots of Binoche in the swimming pool, looking worried, or behind a grotty bar, looking worried, or staring into the river Danube in full spate, looking worried- yeah, it rules.

(Edited for: bad geography)

jane said:
When I was a kid, my school report cards always used to say 'takes initiative', but this time, I refuse. Refuse, refuse, refuse.

Will we read a book first, or get together to have a few drinks and choose a book for the next time?

Aw, nuts.

Well, here's an idea now. How about enough people get along to the ballroom this Friday to see Medea (mwahahahaha) and we pull a name out of a hat then, that person picks a book, we post up what the book is here next Monday and meet up the following month to discuss the book?
Simple, like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back