Thumped Book Club (3 Viewers)

This is a very good idea, although I can never see meself actually getting a book read in time...nonetheless, I nominate First Love by Turgenev, partly 'cos it's short, but mainly 'cos it's deadly. (If more specific adjectives are required, "poignant" fits the bill)

kirstie said:
my mama is in a buke club and they take turns suggesting bukes. So the way we could do it is everyone comes to the first meeting, we put everyones name in a hat (what with us all wearing hats, all the time) and the first name out gets to choose the book we'll all be reading and discussing at the next meeting. The 2nd name out o the hat gets to say at the 2nd meeting what we'll read next and so on, AND SO FORTH.
Then the order is decided, until some new people join. And as it's monday, I can't think of a way around that right now.

This sounds very sensible to me. Should we pick a book to have read by two weeks or should we wait to meet up and then get the first person out of the hat to pick the first book. (Personally, I've to read a 500-pager for next Monday for work so would prefer if we didn't choose a book until we met up:). Slacking already.)

let's just say we did it and laugh about it when we next see each other. i can see into the future you know...

ok
can I insert a caveat here?

NO ONE is allowed to nominate Ulysses on the grounds that it is the most pretentious thing in the WHOLE WIDE WORLD to go on about Ulysses ad nauseum.
That is, unless Senator David Norris joins our club of bukes.

Psychotic no 2 said:
This sounds very sensible to me. Should we pick a book to have read by two weeks or should we wait to meet up and then get the first person out of the hat to pick the first book. (Personally, I've to read a 500-pager for next Monday for work so would prefer if we didn't choose a book until we met up:). Slacking already.)
I don't mind to be honest, whatever is grand. We could get in touch with the city library - I know libraries do facilitate book clubs and order in multiple copies for that purpose. However I think in that case you have to go along with the book lists supplied by the library, so that might not be broad enough. I have no objection to buying all the books though in any case.

can we not just make a pot of 10 books and swap them around each week? that way we'll have 10 lively discussions going at once... or is that a stupid suggestion? i can't tell any more...

I'm so excited about this!

I just started reading Somerset MAugham's Moon and Sixpence, which is quite a cool little book. All the misogyny of Kundera (sorry, I'm not a fan), and the acerbic, witty arrogance of the 1920s gin-tipplers set, before it got all boring with Kingsley Amis a few decades later.

Of course, that's not fair, since I've already started it...sunbathing...in my back garden...on a Monday....ahhhh.....student life...

I like the idea of not necessarily sticking with new releases. There are tons of books I wish I'd read years ago, but never have, and it'd be lots of fun to have people to discuss them with. And good motivation for getting around to reading them.

jane said:
I like the idea of not necessarily sticking with new releases. There are tons of books I wish I'd read years ago, but never have, and it'd be lots of fun to have people to discuss them with. And good motivation for getting around to reading them.
god yeah, oldies as well as newies. For sure.

I think we should start with Beowulf, in Anglo Saxon.

kirstie said:
god yeah, oldies as well as newies. For sure.

I think we should start with Beowulf, in Anglo Saxon.
Yeah, or Plautus' Clouds or Miles Gloriosus in Latin, which will provoke lively debate on Roman drama and rhetorical vs vernacular Latin in the late Republican period....

Or, Learning to Fly, by Victoria Beckham.

jane said:
Yeah, or Plautus' Clouds or Miles Gloriosus in Latin, which will provoke lively debate on Roman drama and rhetorical vs vernacular Latin in the late Republican period....

Or, Learning to Fly, by Victoria Beckham.
Oh, learning to fly, please!

Psychotic no 2 said:
Somebody suggest a book to start with (I've already read P.S. I Love You -Shame - and can tell you there'd be little to talk about - might make a substantial bitching session though).
I too have also read PS I Love you . purely out of a morbid curiousity .

worst book ever

potlatch said:
How about you all agree on a book now and at the end of the book group, the winner picks the next book?

Whatcha mean the 'winner'? My head hurts.

How about we pick one of a few books that have been under discussion on this board to date. Something by Evelyn Waugh or Milan Kundera (I am wanting to read that Identity one) or maybe one of the book suggestions that were already made in this thread? Can't remember off hand but I think Gav made one and Jane (although, not sure if they were ironic suggestions). SIGH.

I'll just decide on the book for all of you, then as potlatch suggested the winner gets to pick. I suggest you all read Red Heat, the book of the film, it's the greatest book of all time, with the exception of Shocker, the book of the film.

Ed said:
I'll just decide on the book for all of you, then as potlatch suggested the winner gets to pick. I suggest you all read Red Heat, the book of the film, it's the greatest book of all time, with the exception of Shocker, the book of the film.
i've the book of die hard 2 at home
it has nothing to do with the film or any of the characters

i'm reading this amazingly spooky book at the moment called house of leaves by mark danielewski. it's quite complicated cause there's about three different things going on in each page (each being seperated by being in a different type font). anyway the main part of the story involves a photographer moving into a house with his family. they settle into the house after a few weeks and he starts making a documentary about them adjusting to rural life. so they go away for a weekend and when they come back there's an extra door in one of the rooms with no explanation as to how it could have suddenly appeared. the guy ends up looking up the plans measuring the dimensions to the house, thinking that this could be something they overlooked, but he finds that the interior length of the house is wider than the exterior measurement
spooky shit
i'd completely recommend this to read, it's one of the best books i've read in years

Being that I dont know who any of youz are can i join?

I nominate Cerebus, from that thread that no-one was interested in reading.

Ed said:

I hereby join Ed's book club.

This is great
except not the meeting up business, cos i just had a ten-hour round trip to get to yesterday's ladyfest meeting and i feel like an old used sock now, i don't want to go to dublin again for aaaaages
my ma is in a buke club and they all go round each other's houses with large amounts of wine and food and i am highly jealous

Ed said:
what do you think of Shocker as a film?

I like it

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back