Thumped Book Club (7 Viewers)

Ed said:
I'll just decide on the book for all of you, then as potlatch suggested the winner gets to pick. I suggest you all read Red Heat, the book of the film, it's the greatest book of all time, with the exception of Shocker, the book of the film.
SHOCKER!!.|..|
I loved that book!Never say the movie i`m afraid.
Just picked up The Omen by David Seltzer, and Damien Omen 2 by Joseph Howard.I had the collection of em years ago(7 books) but sold the lot - so trying to collect them again.Class!

hey, good luck and all, but i ain't joinin. if i happen to read the same book as you lot i'd be happy to talk about it though.

also, you should read the man in the high castle by dick. every bit except the ending.

My suggestions were not ironic at all, but I reckon I don't want to choose the first book. But I'd prefer not to read Kundera. I really don't like him. I mean, having debate is all part of it, so someone not liking the book is a good thing, but I'd prefer to take a risk on a writer I'm not sure about yet than read someone whom I know I think is an unredeemable misogynist.

If we do end up reading Identity, though, I'll read it and all. I might eat my foot. Or words. Or something. I'm just putting in my two scents (foul and fouler).

"unredeemable misogynist" what have you read by him that makes you think this? like, can you explain a bit?

hag said:
"unredeemable misogynist" what have you read by him that makes you think this? like, can you explain a bit?
I read enough of Unbearable Lightness to know I don't really like him. I'll have to think about that, and flip through the book again to give you a specific reason. I just remember putting it down somewhat disappointed. I wanted very much to like it, but I just didn't.

jane said:
I read enough of Unbearable Lightness to know I don't really like him. I'll have to think about that, and flip through the book again to give you a specific reason. I just remember putting it down somewhat disappointed. I wanted very much to like it, but I just didn't.
right. i believe it really needs to be read in it's entirety. it's just with you saying "unredeemable misogynist", it's pretty damning and final and almost implies you're fully versed in all of his work. but to be honest, i really thought you were trying to start a fight... with me. do you want fight? ;) seriously, it's an amazing book. i was joking about the fight. maybe. FU. ;)

Nah, I don't want a fight. I just found myself not really wanting to finish it. I'm very choosy about books. I might give it another chance someday, but at the moment, I'm not sure I care enough about it. I can see how someone could really get into it, but I just didn't.

jane said:
Nah, I don't want a fight. I just found myself not really wanting to finish it. I'm very choosy about books. I might give it another chance someday, but at the moment, I'm not sure I care enough about it. I can see how someone could really get into it, but I just didn't.
do you acknowledge you may have been a bit harsh on him then? possibly?

hag said:
do you acknowledge you may have been a bit harsh on him then? possibly?
No, I'm just giving my opinion. There are writers out there that handle their misogyny deftly enough to keep me interested in what they're doing. I might have been harsh, but I'm just saying that the book turned me off for lots of reasons. If I like a book, I don't want it to end, and I found myself just wanting it to end.

jane said:
No, I'm just giving my opinion. There are writers out there that handle their misogyny deftly enough to keep me interested in what they're doing. I might have been harsh, but I'm just saying that the book turned me off for lots of reasons. If I like a book, I don't want it to end, and I found myself just wanting it to end.
Yeah, but, like, how can you have an opinion on misogyny? You're only a girl for God's sake.

ok ok, but you didn't even finish the book and you tarred him big time. i'm just kinda surprised is all. personally, i think it's a great book and i don't even know what misogyny means.

jane said:
My suggestions were not ironic at all, but I reckon I don't want to choose the first book. But I'd prefer not to read Kundera. I really don't like him. I mean, having debate is all part of it, so someone not liking the book is a good thing, but I'd prefer to take a risk on a writer I'm not sure about yet than read someone whom I know I think is an unredeemable misogynist.

If we do end up reading Identity, though, I'll read it and all. I might eat my foot. Or words. Or something. I'm just putting in my two scents (foul and fouler).
Actually I didn't think that he was such a misogynist at all must re-read
some of his books and see if that's me being very tolerant or dopey.
Try Identity.

Alright lads, will we at least set a date for our first meeting, even if we can't settle on a book? We'll do the names out of a hat thing at the meeting and everyone should have a book in mind just in case they get picked yeah?

Psychotic no 2 said:
Alright lads, will we at least set a date for our first meeting, even if we can't settle on a book? We'll do the names out of a hat thing at the meeting and everyone should have a book in mind just in case they get picked yeah?

Yeah, this sounds good.

If we don't have any homework for the first one, does this mean we just get to get drunk and shout loads of curse words? I know very little about books, but I'm good at shouting and at cursing. I can even do both at the same time.

jane said:
Yeah, this sounds good.

If we don't have any homework for the first one, does this mean we just get to get drunk and shout loads of curse words? I know very little about books, but I'm good at shouting and at cursing. I can even do both at the same time.
yay for no homework!!! :) i love school .... when it's closed!!! :) my favourite subject in school is ...... lunch time!!! :) YAY!!!

hag said:
yay for no homework!!! :) i love school .... when it's closed!!! :) my favourite subject in school is ...... lunch time!!! :) YAY!!!
haha...that reminds me of the time, when i was 15, when i broke into my school during the summer holidays and slept there overnight..... that was how much i loved school! i had a lot of explaining to do the next day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back