Thumped Book Club (1 Viewer)

i assume this is that green/weird fur hat, summer, winter, whatever, it's always appropriate

jane said:
My fur what?

Anyway, I wouldn't want you to develop a feeling of fashion inadequacy. Besides, bringing that hat out in summer is about as appropriate as wearing white to a wedding when you aren't the bride.
or if you WERE the bride and you had engaged in pre-marital sex. won't be making this on friday, sorry to say, but i'll be making my way to Berlin, via Vienna and Warsaw, wuhooo!

give us a good buke to read for de trayin jourdney, wouldja missus?

lmd64 said:
or if you WERE the bride and you had engaged in pre-marital sex. won't be making this on friday, sorry to say, but i'll be making my way to Berlin, via Vienna and Warsaw, wuhooo!

give us a good buke to read for de trayin jourdney, wouldja missus?
Hm, how about Mark Twain's The Innocents Abroad? It's about Twain's own journey on a cruise ship full of obnoxious Americans who genuinely believe that shouting loudly in English is the same as speaking French. It's not a new phenomenon, oh no siree. I love reading books about travelling when I'm travelling, though not ones about the places I'm going.

Twain also hails some wit-bordering-on-invective at what he calls 'The Old Travelers', the equivalent of today's -spent-a-year-getting-pissed-inSydney-and-am-therefore-better-than-you' boring returned 'adventurers', who behave as Imperial conquers discovering unknown lands:

"They will not let you know anything. They sneer at your most inoffensive suggestions; they laugh unfeelingly at your treasured dreams of foreign lands; they brand the statements of your traveled aunts and uncles as the stupidest absurdities; they deride your most trusted authors and demolish the fair images they have set up for your willing worship with the pitiless ferocity of the fanatic iconoclast! But still I love the Old Travelers. I love them for their ability to bore, for their delightful asinine vanity, for their luxuriant fertility of imagination, for their startling, their brilliant, their overwhelming mendacity!"

Wait, that sounds a bit more like Thumped. On occasion, anyway...

I still haven't finished the damn book. I'm kind of saving the rest of it for my next holiday, which, at this stage, looks like never.

And yes, it is indeed a tragedy when a bride wears white to represent virtues she does not possess. One must be ever chaste and prudent. As for the groom, if he does not despise the sin of onanism, he is no fit keeper for a lady.

Alright, enough shiting on. How about as many of us as possible meet up this Thursday evening, after work, say sixish, in the Lord Edward pub and pick a book out of the hat. It won't take long. Anyone?

i would, except what i do in college is basically like a book club anyway. and i'm in cork. but the real question is, how many books are you going to fit in a hat?

Liadain said:
i would, except what i do in college is basically like a book club anyway. and i'm in cork. but the real question is, how many books are you going to fit in a hat?

There's always someone isn't there. Have you seen Jane's hat?

jane said:
My hat is flattered to be the subject of such admiration.

I'm not sure yet about Thursday. I can do it, but I'm just not sure what time. And anyway, I'm not essential to the book-picking. Nose-picking, yes, but book-picking, no.

If people who can't make it want to post their book nominations here so they can be included in the draw too that's cool, isn't it? Coraline has already given me her nomination cos she's on holliers for the next few weeks.

Spot picking, now that's where it's at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back