Thumped Book Club (1 Viewer)

jane said:
What, the 'nerds with bukes' bit?

Won't argue. I've always enjoyed being a nerd. Which is good since I've never had much of a choice in the matter.
Whoops, left that a bit ambiguous so I did...no, I was referring to me watching football. Although as you mention it, yes, readers are nerds. Unless they're reading books about football, of course.

Missed this, due to being away in Lahndan town with all the pop artists. Might be back home for next month's though. In the meantime, I'll read the buke and argue the toss on thumped (though not necessarily in that order).

Great, book club sounds like a great idea, would anyone be interested in reading Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman sometime? Has been on my to-read list for a long time - especially since I just found a copy in Hodges Figgis bargain basement!

lola said:
Great, book club sounds like a great idea, would anyone be interested in reading Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman sometime? Has been on my to-read list for a long time - especially since I just found a copy in Hodges Figgis bargain basement!

I heard this is really funny.

We should try sort out a way of selecting books too so that everyone gets a turn to choose, non? If everyone's happy to do the random selection every time that's fine with me, but maybe we'd get a better range if everyone took a turn. But how to sort out that in a certain order...now there's the rub.
Jesus, how do these things work? Somebody ring Oprah.

On another topic, Lorcanzo told me he had five copies of a book called 'the party' I think, by an unknown (to Lorcanzo) author. So he'll donate them to our little bookclub if we need them.

Psychotic no 2 said:
We should try sort out a way of selecting books too so that everyone gets a turn to choose, non? If everyone's happy to do the random selection every time that's fine with me, but maybe we'd get a better range if everyone took a turn. But how to sort out that in a certain order...now there's the rub.
Jesus, how do these things work? Somebody ring Oprah.
Shite, we shoulda really done this last night - the order the loser books came out in shoulda been the order for people to select with...so I dunno, maybe we go with the random next time and pick names rather than buks, and get the order from that?
On another topic, Lorcanzo told me he had five copies of a book called 'the party' I think, by an unknown (to Lorcanzo) author. So he'll donate them to our little bookclub if we need them.
Cool - although isn't it a bit suspicious quality-wise that he has five copies of this book? Gift horse mouth etc. tho I spose

lola said:
It's a grand old book. At Swim-Two-Birds is funnier though.

lola said:
excellent book
and if ye like that - then def. check out his 'the dalky archive' - it so cool, it's even got a mad scientist who plots to destroy the world by eliminating the oxygen, and it's up to a lowly civil servant, a (still living) james joyce and a couple of other peeps, to stop him.

(no seriously, it is actually good)

if it were anything to do with me, i'd skip straight to 'at swim two birds' - the third policeman is fine, and interesting, but not as clever (in a metatextual way) as birds. it does, however, use the footnote to great effect. 'the dalkey archive' is partly a rehash of some ideas left over from policeman - which wasn't published originally, and while occassionally funny, is not as worthwhile as either of the other two.

that said, you could do alot worse than any of them.

read At Swim Two Boys, it's quite good. oh, by the way, Mr Bongo, was in the Museumquartier Wein in Vienna last week, went into the lomo shop, loads of overpriced gimmicky plasticy shite for sale. and bargain basement russian cameras on sale for around 250 yoyos.

jane said:
The first meeting of the Thumped Book Club can be declared a remarkable success. After choosing the book, we had an intense and deeply philosophical discussion of (non-human) animal erections, some of which involved "completion", as is fitting of any gathering of intellectual giants. No sniggering was permitted.

Anyone who missed this is a geek. Oh, wait, anyone who....never mind.

Anyway, for those who couldn't make it, or who would like to participate in a purely virtual manner, the book is Angela Carter's Wise Children. As much as I didn't want to be the first to choose, luck befalls a lady when she least desires it. I was kinda rooting for Salinger.

You have one month. Onetwothreego.
I haven't had access to the online world in a while because NTL have cut me off for not paying my bill for a few months. Can you believe that shit?

Anyway, I just wanted to echo Jane's sentiments. It was heartening to find that there were members of the club who would drink until the barman decided that he could give us no more and it was years since I'd had the opportunity to trot out my animal erection stories.

Looking forward to the next one.

Not sure when about the meeting, BUT I do think buk selection for the next round should be just from the folk who were in the hat first time round. Apart from Jane of course. Anyone agree?

jane said:
I agree that the person whose book was chosen the last time doesn't go into the hat again for a while. Do people want to nominate the same books they did the last time?
Oh that's right, it was your book last time wasn't it?:D

I wanna change mine...

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back