"This is Nightlive" - the new Irish Seinfeld / Roaring Twenties? (6 Viewers)

Paths to Freedom?
Soupy Norman?
Both succeeded in being funny in the same environment of homogenous sludge.

I don't get that bit at all...
ah yeah, paths to freedom, which is basically a piss take of people. who talk li tha, or who tark lioke this, hmmm, awwkay. you see, by being a satirical critique of knackers and poshos it seeks to circumvent criticism. it was pretty good tho. i never saw soupy norman, i was busy, but really, ten years of "unprecedented economic growth" (b. aherne) and that's what we have? the one that followed paths, fergals wedding (i think), was fairly poor as well. same template. rip the piss out of people. create caricatures, not characters.

basically until we, as a nation, stop ripping the piss out of everyone who attempts to create, we getting exactly what we deserve. even on this forum, look for hansards once film, laugh at how many times it's called "ponce" or "nonce". in fact, look at the effort some people went to, taking pictures of themselves defacing posters around the city! mad cunts! check out any band who've attempted anything, but aren't regular posters on this site, and see them flayed for trying, and anything rte have tried to produced has been circumcised with a rusty catfood tin here*. i'm not saying that thumped is where i gather my critiques, rather it's microcosmic of the internet, and people say things on the internet that they won't to one's face. this i know from personal experience. and finally, the forth estate all seeking to make names for them selves by being cutting, ribald, viciously concise, like they have standards that cannot be met. at least, not met by people on this sceptered isle. i've read reviews and heard reports of some terrible tosh that comes from abroad and isn't a patch on some of our homegrown talent, and yet the reverse is rarely true. so many bands i've seen, playing pigeon toed and within themselves, afraid to make eye contact with the audience or perform for fear or being crucified for being "pretentious". i want my artists to be pretentious. i want them to perform. i want them to believe that i've come to see them, and not the other way around.

*rte deal in numbers and hokum. they're liars and cheats, we all know this. and they expect chumley here to pay for the privilege too. really, rather indefensible, but we made them that way, and we're left with the middle of the poxing road as a result.

We're not an especially funny country. We think we are, but we're not.

Apart from anything else, we don't have the critical mass of audience, talent, media, performance spaces or experience that is needed to produce quality comedy.

The somewhat common notion that there's some great heaving mass of comedic talent that the powers in Montrose won't let on the air is misguided.
I reckon anyway.
1. i'm talking about art in general. including comedy, painting, music, films, design, food, everything.
2. i'm the funniest cunt on earth.

so many bands i've seen, playing pigeon toed and within themselves, afraid to make eye contact with the audience or perform for fear or being crucified for being "pretentious". i want my artists to be pretentious. i want them to perform. i want them to believe that i've come to see them, and not the other way around.

Jazes I'd say you'd love me..|..|

Seriously.

ah yeah, paths to freedom, which is basically a piss take of people. who talk li tha, or who tark lioke this, hmmm, awwkay. you see, by being a satirical critique of knackers and poshos it seeks to circumvent criticism. it was pretty good tho. .. /... same template. rip the piss out of people. create caricatures, not characters.

I disagree about Paths to Freedom, to me it wasn't so much about the social satire, a simple odd couple compare and contrast. It was more to do with the incredible character acting of the two male leads especially the "posho" (Brendan Coyle) who never once played it for laughs, even in his character's descent into Flatley obsessed madness. You could accuse Rat's character of being painted with broader strokes, but Colyle's performance is both incredibly comic and tragic at the same time. Lot's of really sharp dialogue, well delivered and well realised even in it's (by then) not the most original "fly on the wall" format.

basically until we, as a nation, stop ripping the piss out of everyone who attempts to create, we getting exactly what we deserve. even on this forum, look for hansards once film, laugh at how many times it's called "ponce" or "nonce". in fact, look at the effort some people went to, taking pictures of themselves defacing posters around the city! mad cunts! check out any band who've attempted anything, but aren't regular posters on this site, and see them flayed for trying, and anything rte have tried to produced has been circumcised with a rusty catfood tin here*. i'm not saying that thumped is where i gather my critiques, rather it's microcosmic of the internet, and people say things on the internet that they won't to one's face. this i know from personal experience. and finally, the forth estate all seeking to make names for them selves by being cutting, ribald, viciously concise, like they have standards that cannot be met. at least, not met by people on this sceptered isle. i've read reviews and heard reports of some terrible tosh that comes from abroad and isn't a patch on some of our homegrown talent, and yet the reverse is rarely true. so many bands i've seen, playing pigeon toed and within themselves, afraid to make eye contact with the audience or perform for fear or being crucified for being "pretentious". i want my artists to be pretentious. i want them to perform. i want them to believe that i've come to see them, and not the other way around.

I agree to an extent with what you've said, but at the same time I think you're greatly over estimating the amount people who make music / books / art or whatever care about what people think about what they produce. Not that they don't care at all - i just don't think it effects them that much.

I can't think of any bands that I know from playing around that really care. Not that they don't want to be successful. Not that they don't want to revel in an audience's enjoyment. Not that they get a thrill out of pissing people off. Just that them worrying about how they are going to be received doesn't hamstring them in the way you've described above.

Besides if the artists are as pretentious as you like them to be they really won't give a fuck at all.

Ask the Virgin Prunes in the quagmire of late 70s ireland:

pigchildren1-thumb.jpg

Do you genuinely have experience of performers been that worried about it? That's not a challenge to prove you wrong, I'm just interested. No need to name names.

This reminds me, I had a girl working to me (in work like) and we were both trying to dig up some newspaper report or something and she finds it anyway, and I meant to email her back and say 'Bingo, Thanks' but instead I typed 'Bongo, Thanks' as if that was my patronising man servant name for her.

Anyway . . .

This reminds me, I had a girl working to me (in work like) and we were both trying to dig up some newspaper report or something and she finds it anyway, and I meant to email her back and say 'Bingo, Thanks' but instead I typed 'Bongo, Thanks' as if that was my patronising man servant name for her.

Anyway . . .

Oi!

I disagree about Paths to Freedom, to me it wasn't so much about the social satire, a simple odd couple compare and contrast. It was more to do with the incredible character acting of the two male leads especially the "posho" (Brendan Coyle) who never once played it for laughs, even in his character's descent into Flatley obsessed madness. You could accuse Rat's character of being painted with broader strokes, but Colyle's performance is both incredibly comic and tragic at the same time. Lot's of really sharp dialogue, well delivered and well realised even in it's (by then) not the most original "fly on the wall" format.

I agree to an extent with what you've said, but at the same time I think you're greatly over estimating the amount people who make music / books / art or whatever care about what people think about what they produce. Not that they don't care at all - i just don't think it effects them that much.

I can't think of any bands that I know from playing around that really care. Not that they don't want to be successful. Not that they don't want to revel in an audience's enjoyment. Not that they get a thrill out of pissing people off. Just that them worrying about how they are going to be received doesn't hamstring them in the way you've described above.

Besides if the artists are as pretentious as you like them to be they really won't give a fuck at all.

Ask the Virgin Prunes in the quagmire of late 70s ireland:

pigchildren1-thumb.jpg

Do you genuinely have experience of performers been that worried about it? That's not a challenge to prove you wrong, I'm just interested. No need to name names.
paths to freedom was good, don't get me wrong, and it was stand out in terms of what rte produce. what's disappointing is the self congratulatory nature of it. same goes with apres match. lets not work as hard any more, we've clearly made it, etc.

you're right about bands not really caring, or being scared into caring, or being already indoctrinated into a no-one-is-going-to-care-anyway-so-why-go-nuts culture. for a lot of people it's a hobby. but when you go home and put on your genesis, neil young, blondie, jaques brel...whoever ..records tonight, imagine for a second they had that attitude, you'd never have heard from them. there is talent in this country, it just doesn't get nurtured or indulged.

and pretension isn't about not caring..when bowie dressed up as ziggy, that was pretension, but he still cared, passionately, about what he was doing, and so did millions of other people. there's such a lack of performance in this country. the prunes, now they performed, but it was all dadaist minutia. oh! a pigs head! lets freak out the norms! fair play to them, i'd say that was utterly shocking 30 years ago, because if you saw a band perform like that now, it would be utterly shocking, seeing as all we get a young men in topman jeans with "haircuts" trying to hide their entire bodies behind their guitars whilst playing "blues-rock". mind you, if i started the prunes now and posted about it here "we cover ourselves in paint and flour and kick a pigs head around" i'd be slated.

i dunno, i speak broadly but obviously for me it's mostly about the music. there was an attempt at a scene years ago, and it was crushed by nilhilism and journalism, and i just wonder, given the obvious success of artists from this country, why there isn't a nurturing culture. for example during the celtic tiger, what did the government do to promote art, or music, what did this country produce in that time, other than a generation of overrich cokeheads? why do we condemn before we've heard/seen a band/thing? oh why? oh why? why do we only embrace national "heroes" when they show themselves to be failures. shane mcfuckingowan, who can't stand up and hasn't written a song for 20 years. people love him.

basically i'm sick of of tiny shithead country hating anything different. we're so fucking conservative. i wish the catholic church would come back and beat and rape us til we need a release.

Hec, I agree with a lot of what you say but I'd hate to see the Govt ever getting involved in the Irish music scene.

Some people are naturally extroverted and charismatic on stage - I think Robotnik does that well - but it's truly appalling to watch when someone does it in an 'I'm going to blow your minds you simple people' sort of way.

In all seriousness, there's a tone of hurt coming through in your last few posts. Wihout wishing to assume too much, you made an excellent album last year which i know the whole band threw their hearts and souls into, and are you maybe a bit disappointed that there aren't more outlets for it on radio/TV etc? Again, apologies if I've misread your post and personalised it incorrectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back