"This is Nightlive" - the new Irish Seinfeld / Roaring Twenties? (3 Viewers)

'funniest' bit was at the end where the news wan used Irish to sign off and the main bloke looks over at her like as if she was choking or something...rest wasn't great..probably take a look again though..

I'd say Jelly Block loves it.

Indeed, best Irish comedy since Blackadder. Wonder what imput Graham Linehan (Exec producer) had?

not sure if anyone here would have gotten any of the brilliant references. Reminded me of Brass Eye meets Come dine with me.

Brilliant, brilliant stuff.

'funniest' bit was at the end where the news wan used Irish to sign off and the main bloke looks over at her like as if she was choking or something...rest wasn't great..probably take a look again though..

like 90% of home produced irish comedy it had a distinct feeling of being a series of sketches concocted to fill the gaps between the tuneless singers and drama group in a secondary school christmas concert.
It was hovering on being funny in parts, but was all in all a bit cringeworthy.

From Wikipedia:

Anticipation of criticism

Fears were expressed in the build-up to the launch of the show that it would be the subject of much criticism. John Ryan, the writer and the star of the show, had previously published the failed New York Dog magazine and expected "to be taken out the back and given a good kicking".

RTÉ was reported to have been "wary" of criticism to the point that it was decided not to send out any advance tapes to the press, with Ryan reported to have been planning to reproduce the worst reviews for the pilot on a ticker tape to trail across the screen during the follow-up episode.

He declined at least one pre-broadcast interview and after its commencement intends to "go off travelling for an unspecified time".

nothing good will ever emerge from this country while them what write and perform are so terrified by the inevitable backlash it all becomes homogeneous sludge and them what's in power ignore talent that isn't homogeneous sludge for fear of criticism for being homogeneous sludge. we live in a cultural wasteland. and utterly empty space. this shit you're complaining about is about all you deserve.

John Ryan should really stick to writing magazines.
About dogs.
In New York.
Failed ones.

image.aspx

nothing good will ever emerge from this country while them what write and perform are so terrified by the inevitable backlash it all becomes homogeneous sludge

Paths to Freedom?
Soupy Norman?
Both succeeded in being funny in the same environment of homogenous sludge.

and them what's in power ignore talent that isn't homogeneous sludge for fear of criticism for being homogeneous sludge. we live in a cultural wasteland. and utterly empty space. this shit you're complaining about is about all you deserve.

I don't get that bit at all...

nothing good will ever emerge from this country while them what write and perform are so terrified by the inevitable backlash it all becomes homogeneous sludge and them what's in power ignore talent that isn't homogeneous sludge for fear of criticism for being homogeneous sludge. we live in a cultural wasteland. and utterly empty space. this shit you're complaining about is about all you deserve.

We're not an especially funny country. We think we are, but we're not.

Apart from anything else, we don't have the critical mass of audience, talent, media, performance spaces or experience that is needed to produce quality comedy.

The somewhat common notion that there's some great heaving mass of comedic talent that the powers in Montrose won't let on the air is misguided.
I reckon anyway.

We're not an especially funny country. We think we are, but we're not.

I think we all know plenty of people that are really fucking funny though. I mean people we know, not stand-ups or anything. I've laughed more and harder talking shit with friends than I ever have at anything on TV or in films (unless that video of Anthea Turner exploding counts).

That's of course completely different from having the talent / skills to write a comedy series for TV - it's not that kind of funny.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Landless: 'Lúireach' Album Launch (Glitterbeat Records)
The Unitarian Church, Stephen's Green
Dublin Unitarian Church, 112 St Stephen's Green, Dublin, D02 YP23, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back