"This is Nightlive" - the new Irish Seinfeld / Roaring Twenties? (3 Viewers)

Hec, I agree with a lot of what you say but I'd hate to see the Govt ever getting involved in the Irish music scene.

Some people are naturally extroverted and charismatic on stage - I think Robotnik does that well - but it's truly appalling to watch when someone does it in an 'I'm going to blow your minds you simple people' sort of way.

In all seriousness, there's a tone of hurt coming through in your last few posts. Wihout wishing to assume too much, you made an excellent album last year which i know the whole band threw their hearts and souls into, and are you maybe a bit disappointed that there aren't more outlets for it on radio/TV etc? Again, apologies if I've misread your post and personalised it incorrectly.

Hector Grey is in the Frames????????

Hec, I agree with a lot of what you say but I'd hate to see the Govt ever getting involved in the Irish music scene.

Some people are naturally extroverted and charismatic on stage - I think Robotnik does that well - but it's truly appalling to watch when someone does it in an 'I'm going to blow your minds you simple people' sort of way.

In all seriousness, there's a tone of hurt coming through in your last few posts. Wihout wishing to assume too much, you made an excellent album last year which i know the whole band threw their hearts and souls into, and are you maybe a bit disappointed that there aren't more outlets for it on radio/TV etc? Again, apologies if I've misread your post and personalised it incorrectly.
re: the govt, i meant getting involved in "art". anyone remember the ormond multimedia centre, or the city arts centre? why can't we have places like that, funded by the arts council, run by gimps on c.e. schemes? why not.

this country hurts me in many ways, ro. music is obviously close to my heart, but everything in this tin pot regime fucks me off. why is childcare so expensive? what's with the artificially inflated house prices? why are all our politicians corrupt? why does it have to be fianna fucking fail every fucking time? why do pedestrian lights change so quickly? why can't anyone drive properly? why is our public transport shit? why are kids puking all over themselves on a saturday night in the name of fun? why does the fucking off license close at ten? why? why? why?

But is there any band/performer really, really undeniably good (not posting on this site) that gets an absolute slating on here? I don't think there is.

Let's face it, the Frames or BellX1 or whomever is popular here would get a slating off 'proper' music fans anywhere.
They're those kind of bands. I don't think it's peculiarly Irish to knock them, and I don't think they're knocked just because they're successful.

And there are plenty of extroverts - maybe not to the extent of the Virgin Prunes, but who is doing that stuff anywhere? And getting plaudits?
In fairness, I saw Man Man last year and immediately thought that an Irish band would never try to get away with their zany carry-on, but maybe they are just pricks? I only semi-enjoyed the show, and then mostly due to the novelty value.
And some Irish bands are extroverted onstage, with varying degrees of success.

I don't know what I'm getting at, but I don't think anyone is really getting at anything.

re: the govt, i meant getting involved in "art". anyone remember the ormond multimedia centre, or the city arts centre? why can't we have places like that, funded by the arts council, run by gimps on c.e. schemes? why not.

True - it's a joke how interest the Arts Council takes in independent music. There is much better support in Derry and places like that where there is cheap rehearsal space etc. I'd just hate to see a two-tier scene where those who got grants could sit around being musicians while the rest of slog our way.

paths to freedom was good, don't get me wrong, and it was stand out in terms of what rte produce. what's disappointing is the self congratulatory nature of it. same goes with apres match. lets not work as hard any more, we've clearly made it, etc.

I don't get the self congratulatory thing.
As far as I know it was the first mainstream success of Grand Pictures who made it, and was the first show written by Michael MacElhatton (Rats) - so they didn't really have anything to be self congratulatory about. Anyway this is all beside the point.

you're right about bands not really caring, or being scared into caring, or being already indoctrinated into a no-one-is-going-to-care-anyway-so-why-go-nuts culture. for a lot of people it's a hobby. but when you go home and put on your genesis, neil young, blondie, jaques brel...whoever ..records tonight, imagine for a second they had that attitude, you'd never have heard from them. there is talent in this country, it just doesn't get nurtured or indulged.

I meant they don't care what people think, not that they don't care about the work they produce, or are apathetic in their performances.

and pretension isn't about not caring..when bowie dressed up as ziggy, that was pretension, but he still cared, passionately, about what he was doing, and so did millions of other people. there's such a lack of performance in this country. the prunes, now they performed, but it was all dadaist minutia. oh! a pigs head! lets freak out the norms! fair play to them, i'd say that was utterly shocking 30 years ago, because if you saw a band perform like that now, it would be utterly shocking, seeing as all we get a young men in topman jeans with "haircuts" trying to hide their entire bodies behind their guitars whilst playing "blues-rock". mind you, if i started the prunes now and posted about it here "we cover ourselves in paint and flour and kick a pigs head around" i'd be slated.

i dunno, i speak broadly but obviously for me it's mostly about the music. there was an attempt at a scene years ago, and it was crushed by nilhilism and journalism, and i just wonder, given the obvious success of artists from this country, why there isn't a nurturing culture. for example during the celtic tiger, what did the government do to promote art, or music, what did this country produce in that time, other than a generation of overrich cokeheads? why do we condemn before we've heard/seen a band/thing? oh why? oh why? why do we only embrace national "heroes" when they show themselves to be failures. shane mcfuckingowan, who can't stand up and hasn't written a song for 20 years. people love him.

My point about the Prunes was that they were intentionally pretentious and so really didn't give a fuck what people thought and went out and did their crazy shit anyway. I wasn't saying they didn't care about what they were doing.

basically i'm sick of of tiny shithead country hating anything different. we're so fucking conservative. i wish the catholic church would come back and beat and rape us til we need a release.

Mmmm, eh....ummm....

I meant they don't care what people think, not that they don't care about the work they produce, or are apathetic in their performances.
i disagree, because why make an effort if you don't care what people think, one way or the other.

paths to freedom: grand
fergals wedding: self congratulatory.

What's going on lads? Are we not still talking about the T.V. show? Sorry i was out for a while.

don't super extra bonus party have a guy on stage in a tennis outfit....playing a racket like a guitar??!!!OMG. Surely that's zany enough!!!! Don't they also sometimes wear GAA jerseys??!! I don't like GAA...but are they being ironic???? Woah...SPIN OUT!

don't super extra bonus party have a guy on stage in a tennis outfit....playing a racket like a guitar??!!!OMG. Surely that's zany enough!!!! Don't they also sometimes wear GAA jerseys??!! I don't like GAA...but are they being ironic???? Woah...SPIN OUT!
good man, that's the kind of encouragement we all need.

good man, that's the kind of encouragement we all need.

why should i be responsible for encouraging anyone? because i'm Irish? I know what i like and what i don't like,and i like many Irish acts (Rednecks,Somadrone,Rollers/Sparkers). I also intensely dislike others, be they mainstream or 'underground'. You seem to be suggesting that if we happen to be compatriots of a certain artist(s) then we should blindly will them on. Fuck that shit. If someone's shit, they're shit.

i disagree, because why make an effort if you don't care what people think, one way or the other.

Because you love music and you love writing songs and playing gigs.

Of course being popular, accepted, validated and paid are all great things too, they're just not the primary motivator. And if they are, you're really not going to have much fuel for this motivation because theses prizes are at the end of a long long road for the very very select few who get there. Even in the realms of trying to make a splash in Dublin or Ireland, whatever about the UK or internationally. And if you get there, you can expect even more begrudgers.

I'm not being idealistic about the motivations bands have for doing what they do. The reality is that if most bands I know didn't love what they do regardless of any fucking begrudger they'd stop after the bad reviews / shitty audiences / biased criticism that you inevitably get along the way from somewhere. If anything, irrational or ranting criticism makes you even more determined because you know how wrong they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back