"This is Nightlive" - the new Irish Seinfeld / Roaring Twenties? (1 Viewer)

why should i be responsible for encouraging anyone? because i'm Irish? I know what i like and what i don't like,and i like many Irish acts (Rednecks,Somadrone,Rollers/Sparkers). I also intensely dislike others, be they mainstream or 'underground'. You seem to be suggesting that if we happen to be compatriots of a certain artist(s) then we should blindly will them on. Fuck that shit. If someone's shit, they're shit.
here's the thing, you don't actually have to articulate negativity. it's not necessary. it doesn't illuminate anyone's life. you don't go around the internet slagging off certain plumbers cos you don't like their work, why pick on artists?

what's shit isn't shit, this isn't empiricism, this is opinion. and, while ever body is entitled to an opinion, but of course, it isn't really edifying to vocalise every single one of them, when their sole purpose seems to be to slate artists for trying something different, whether it appeals to you or not. complaining that super extra bonus partay have a tennis racquet isn't a critique.

Because you love music and you love writing songs and playing gigs.

Of course being popular, accepted, validated and paid are all great things too, they're just not the primary motivator. And if they are, you're really not going to have much fuel for this motivation because theses prizes are at the end of a long long road for the very very select few who get there. Even in the realms of trying to make a splash in Dublin or Ireland, whatever about the UK or internationally. And if you get there, you can expect even more begrudgers.

I'm not being idealistic about the motivations bands have for doing what they do. The reality is that if most bands I know didn't love what they do regardless of any fucking begrudger they'd stop after the bad reviews / shitty audiences / biased criticism that you inevitably get along the way from somewhere. If anything, irrational or ranting criticism makes you even more determined because you know how wrong they are.
it's not always about being popular, it's about getting a reaction. if an artist doesn't seek validation from an audience, then why would they perform? art, music, writing, acting, these are crucial to the survival of the human race, and you're not going to like everything, but if bands, scenes, artists from all over the world met as much back biting, negativity, apathy and conservatism as we serve up in this city (that being dublin) we'd never hear or see anything interesting.

really, the salient point here, does anyone disagree that this is a country of begrudgers?

here's the thing, you don't actually have to articulate negativity. it's not necessary. it doesn't illuminate anyone's life. you don't go around the internet slagging off certain plumbers cos you don't like their work, why pick on artists?

what's shit isn't shit, this isn't empiricism, this is opinion. and, while ever body is entitled to an opinion, but of course, it isn't really edifying to vocalise every single one of them, when their sole purpose seems to be to slate artists for trying something different, whether it appeals to you or not. complaining that super extra bonus partay have a tennis racquet isn't a critique.

Let me get this right, your maxim appears to be: if you've nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut? That's almost Orwellian. I am just as happy slagging off politicians/sportspeople/acquaintances as i am artists.

I'm not slating anyone for being 'different'. In fact, i'd be more inclined to slate someone for NOT being different. i'll also slate people because, in my opinion, they might be a pack of chancers or talentless pricks. I've no specific axe to grind with SEBP but i would argue that saying they have antics on stage would in fact be a critique. It's all part of a performance, and if i think it's contrived or plagiarised then i'm gonna say so. There are many acts I love who have antics on stage but they usually fit perfectly with the rest of their performance e.g. Sunn o))) and the monk outfits/smoke machines, Scotch Egg and his crowd surfing. They're not Irish but it woulnd't matter to me if they were.

We've gone way off topic here, if this were boards.ie they would have stopped it ages ago. Perhaps you'd prefer the more saccharine discussion over there?!ninjaaaa

Let me get this right, your maxim appears to be: if you've nothing nice to say, keep your mouth shut? That's almost Orwellian. I am just as happy slagging off politicians/sportspeople/acquaintances as i am artists.

I'm not slating anyone for being 'different'. In fact, i'd be more inclined to slate someone for NOT being different. i'll also slate people because, in my opinion, they might be a pack of chancers or talentless pricks. I've no specific axe to grind with SEBP but i would argue that saying they have antics on stage would in fact be a critique. It's all part of a performance, and if i think it's contrived or plagiarised then i'm gonna say so. There are many acts I love who have antics on stage but they usually fit perfectly with the rest of their performance e.g. Sunn o))) and the monk outfits/smoke machines, Scotch Egg and his crowd surfing. They're not Irish but it woulnd't matter to me if they were.

We've gone way off topic here, if this were boards.ie they would have stopped it ages ago. Perhaps you'd prefer the more saccharine discussion over there?!ninjaaaa
the point, ultimately, is that nothing is given a chance over here. it's ever been thus. why can't ireland have a "scene" like the ones in glasgow or montreal? no body wants anyone to be successful, it's all needless griping. someone said earlier that bellx1 are worthy of being slagged cos they're shit, but if the were from seattle they'd be death cab for cutie, and there'd be much fellating of them.

i'll grant you that you're the only person on the island that has real, concrete reasons, based on talent, performace and worthiness for critique.

and it's not about having nice things to say, i've never had a nice thing to say, but saying before a program is even aired that it will be shit, is pretty typical of the attitude around these parts, and it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy.

i've no strong opinions of bellx1, by the way, and idon't ever go to boards.ie so i've no idea how they go about things over there.

But I'd slag Death Cab for Cutie too. I don't like them, and it doesn't matter if they're Irish or not. And it's not like I go around slagging Bell X1 all the time, I was just using them as an example of the kind of band who'd get the abuse you seemed to be talking about.

You absolutely milled into John Terry when he missed a penalty in the CL final. Why was hew worthy of slagging? Because he plays football rather than making up songs?

devandra banhart & his band in the village a couple years ago: i thought it was a load of shite, but the crowd seemed really into it and the next day on here he was getting mad props from everyone and i remember thinking; 'if these guys were irish, everyone would fucking despise them'

that is all.

But I'd slag Death Cab for Cutie too. I don't like them, and it doesn't matter if they're Irish or not. And it's not like I go around slagging Bell X1 all the time, I was just using them as an example of the kind of band who'd get the abuse you seemed to be talking about.

You absolutely milled into John Terry when he missed a penalty in the CL final. Why was hew worthy of slagging? Because he plays football rather than making up songs?
hubris man!

this isn't about right to reply, right to slag, right to gripe, i'd mill into anything i felt deserved a milling, this is about the paucity of interesting, integral, innovating, improvisational art forms in this country and theorising on why that is. why do we get tv as bad as the drivel rte spouts. i suggest that it's because, generally, as a nation, we're moany whinging, backbiting cunts who don't see the good in other people's achievements or intentions. whether or not you like bellx1 or john terry isn't the point. i milled into ian harte after the spain game in 02 as well.

believe me, i'm well aware that the reason most of the art/music from this country doesn't make it huge is because it's shit, but there's stuff that's better, way better than gak from scotland or scandanavia that's been drooled over in this country, being ignored. why, man, i want to know why? has it really to do with mister terry's errant foot?

hubris man!

this isn't about right to reply, right to slag, right to gripe, i'd mill into anything i felt deserved a milling, this is about the paucity of interesting, integral, innovating, improvisational art forms in this country and theorising on why that is. why do we get tv as bad as the drivel rte spouts. i suggest that it's because, generally, as a nation, we're moany whinging, backbiting cunts who don't see the good in other people's achievements or intentions. whether or not you like bellx1 or john terry isn't the point. i milled into ian harte after the spain game in 02 as well.

believe me, i'm well aware that the reason most of the art/music from this country doesn't make it huge is because it's shit, but there's stuff that's better, way better than gak from scotland or scandanavia that's been drooled over in this country, being ignored. why, man, i want to know why? has it really to do with mister terry's errant foot?

Glas Vegas?

I'm from Barcelona?

gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkk

devandra banhart & his band in the village a couple years ago: i thought it was a load of shite, but the crowd seemed really into it and the next day on here he was getting mad props from everyone and i remember thinking; 'if these guys were irish, everyone would fucking despise them'

that is all.
i saw sun kil moon in the village, similar deal, he was obnoxious and really, really fucking dull, playing to this reverent, silent, crowd. we're wankers.

I'd like to know how bands are thought of in their own cities. Obviously there was enough local support at some stage to get the likes of RHP international attention, but y'know can Sloan pull a crowd in Halifax? comparable to the one the Corpo can pull in Dublin?

this country is on it's last legs. we're fucked. and what have we got to show for the "prosperity" we've enjoyed? shit roads, shit schools, shit public transport, overpriced venues, pubs, restaurant, and no indigenous art/music/theatre.film scenes worth a fuck. we're all gonna be miserable and skint sitting at home with nothing but lucy cunting kennedy for company.

i'm just bitter cos i should have moved to montreal 10 years ago, and then come back as your mentor, brimful of ideas of how to take a "scene" of oddballs making dirge and turn it into a worldwide phenomenon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back