"This is Nightlive" - the new Irish Seinfeld / Roaring Twenties? (1 Viewer)

This is a lame comparison, but I'm gonna do it anyway.

My long-time-ago ex and I rented a car and were driving around the Wesht. He decided before we even got into the car that I was a shit driver, so every time I did *anything* he would freak out and go, "You're going to kill us both!" and "You're the worst driver ever!" The more he snapped at me and told me off for shit I hadn't even done yet, the more nervous I got behind the wheel, until I thought maybe everything I knew about driving was actually wrong, and that all these years I've been driving, I've been doing everything in the most dangerous way possible. I fluctuated between being pissed off at being yelled at and then worried that maybe it was true and I was putting us both in danger.

I got sick of it, so I pulled the car over, handed him the key and said that he was driving the rest of the time because I was sick of being yelled at. So he drove and proceeded to tell me that in addition to being a shit cook and a tuneless singer, I was not allowed to drive, either. (Is it any wonder we broke up?)

The first time I drove a car when I was 16, I veered into a snowbank (very slowly, mind). I learned to drive properly when a bunch of us went on a road trip and the driver fell asleep, and I was the only one in the car who even knew what a clutch was. I had to get us back from rural Connecticut to suburban Boston and drive everyone to the train station, then drive myself home. I was like, "I can't do this! It's too scary and I don't have a licence and it's the middle of the night and we're lost!" But everyone in the car was like, "You can do it! We swear!" I even stalled out on a highway on-ramp right in front of a cop, but such was everyone's confidence (feigned or not) in me that I got us all home and before I knew it, I was a pretty good driver. I dropped them at the train station, and as I was driving home, it dawned on me that I was driving a car by myself, I stalled out in the middle of an intersection, and I got nervous again. Then I remembered that my friends swore up and down that I could perfectly well drive a car, and I got started again and made it home without being pulled over or hitting anything, even pulling the thing into our extremely tricky driveway like a pro.

I still had a lot to learn about the rules of the road and how to drive properly, but it's amazing what a vote of confidence can do for your abilities. Even when I stalled out, they saw it as a glitch, not as evidence that deep down, I'm only a shithead who is pretending to be good at something.

That is probably the lamest parable on earth. I apologise.

I don't care what any of these typical Irish begrudgers say jane, you're deadly at posting on Thumped and probably quite good at driving too.

U2. YOU'RE SHIT, AND SHOULD NEVER HAVE GOT ANYWHERE. YOU SHOULD RETURN TO YOUR TRUE CALLINGS, AND CEASE TO EXIST AS A BAND. BONO SHOULD BE SENT TO SOMALIA ON A SHIP FULL OF GOLD.

Is it working?

aye, awful
screenwipe, on the other hand, was genius

The first one had a few funny bits, this was just vile. vile. the whole 'camel toe' thing was just..i dunno. Could we not just burn Irish commedians/'comic' scripts in power stations or something?

edit; oh, yeah, begrudge begrudge, womb, U2

The Broadcasting Complaints Commission (BCC) today upheld complaints from viewers that a spoof RTÉ news show poked fun at children dying of leukaemia and a wheelchair-bound boy wearing an oxygen mask.

The complaints were one of only two upheld out of a total of 20 adjudicated upon by the BCC in February.

Viewers claimed that two sketches on the late-night satire Nightlive were “sick, utterly offensive and breached all sense of decency”.

“Imagine what it is like for the families of terminally ill children in Temple Street and Crumlin Children’s hospitals,” one angry viewer asked, in a letter to the BCC.
In a sketch about a celebrity charity appeal, Nightlive presenter ‘Trevor Corcoran’ tells the cameras that his nephew died of leukaemia ten years before. “He never got a chance to see me drive Formula Ford at Mondello or caddy for me at Castleknock’s new golf course.”

Another viewer complained about a scene which shows a wheelchair-bound young boy with an oxygen mask and hooked up to a drip. The ‘weatherman’ repeatedly tells the boy to utter a catchphrase but he can only stutter and cough.

The BCC said the humour was in poor taste and was likely to cause undue offence. It said that RTÉ did not exercise due care and the manner and content of the sketch were not appropriate or justifiable.

The BCC agreed the sketch about children with leukaemia was likely to be offensive to a vast number of viewers.

“Such treatment of a child’s death is inappropriate and the manner and context of a child’s death went beyond acceptable standards,” it said. “The Commission was of the view that the humour was in poor taste and that it was likely to cause undue offence.

“The broadcaster did not exercise due care and the manner and content of the sketch were not appropriate or justifiable.”

The complaint was upheld in part with regard to the Code of Programme Standards, 2.1 general community standards & 2.2 on due care.

RTÉ defended Nightlive as a comedy programme which parodies a fictitious news programme and insisted that the joke was really on the shallow, self-centred presenters.
RTÉ said it regretted that this joke offended viewers and added there was no intention to make humour at the expense of the sick child.

In another complaint, BCC said it found that the humorous content of a Nightlive sketch on motorsport drivers ‘having a death wish’ was reasonable.
“The BCC could not agree with the submission of the complainant that it was an inappropriate joke about suicide and/or the degradation of road racers,” it said. “On viewing the piece, the Commission was of the opinion that it dealt with the risk-taking aspect of participating in the Isle of Man TT road race in a sarcastic and humorous manner.”
http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0319/breaking49.htm

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back