The World Cup!! (1 Viewer)

Lefty Frizzell said:
When England lost a guy i know looked at me with surprise and asked me was i pissed off. I said that i wanted to see england stay in the world cup so he started with the west brit slags which met with my angry yawns.

I'll only take that shit off hector.
that's right you will.

here's the facts:

you ever notice that irish people drive like this, and english people drive like *this*?

all english people are called nick and are married to a woman called jan. jan will be their second wife.

england were never terribly good in this competition.

i'd be a bit upset if i was in a pub and the entire pub laughed at me when ireland lost. but that wouldn't happen. why not?

end of the day, if england were any good and had played well, then what could you say? i had to concede that in 1999 man utd were pretty fucking spectacular. and i didn't enjoy it. but this time around... well, i dunno. they were crap, frankly.

Here's a better question: Why is it that it's not only the Irish, but the Scottish, the French, the Italians, the Germans, the Argentinians, etc etc that want to see England lose?
Answer: Because the English are spectacularly bad losers and specatcularly bad winners as well, and they have let everyone know about it over the years. The fact that 1966 is still mentioned to the extent that it is says everything.

All this about people wanting to see England lose, right, it's not aimed at individuals. That's how these posts always come up, from someone who is dead on getting sore about it. Understandable, but you have to realise this is a reaction to how England as a whole treats the game of football, it's a reaction to the media, to the fucking dickheads commentating on the BBC who say every single decision should go England's way, to the fucking dicks that travel to Germany with three lions tattooed on their chest and walk around giving nazi salutes, to the fact even that England treats pretty much every sport exactly the same way as this. Thats why everyone wants to see England lose. It's not aimed at the ordinary England fan, so don't take it personally. If all the anti-English stuff is going to stop, then everything that portrays England in such a triumphalist manner must stop first. The BBC must be told to stop injecting bias into their match coverage, the hooligans must be dealt with once and for all, and the press should just be stopped covering English sport full stop!
Obviously there are exceptions, like the guy who starts slabbering about West Brits etc, some people are just dickheads, but I think in the most part the reasons above are why most people want to see England use, not just because they hate the English. That would just be stupid.

Cormcolash said:
Obviously there are exceptions, like the guy who starts slabbering about West Brits etc, some people are just dickheads, but I think in the most part the reasons above are why most people want to see England use, not just because they hate the English. That would just be stupid.
That's really funny cos that is exactly how you come accross on this here football board. Don't hold it against you, it's just funny you tagged that on the end.

Why shouldn't the BBC's coverage be biased towards its own team? In fairness like. Okay, so the Scots and Welsh own it as well, but they never get into anything anyway.

RTE is just as jingoistic about Ireland (except Dunphy, but he's just there for comic effect)

The BBC has actually been pretty critical of the England team this time - it's not like in Chinny Hill's day anymore.

Cormcolash said:
Here's a better question: Why is it that it's not only the Irish, but the Scottish, the French, the Italians, the Germans, the Argentinians, etc etc that want to see England lose?
Answer: Because the English are spectacularly bad losers and specatcularly bad winners as well, and they have let everyone know about it over the years. The fact that 1966 is still mentioned to the extent that it is says everything.

All this about people wanting to see England lose, right, it's not aimed at individuals. That's how these posts always come up, from someone who is dead on getting sore about it. Understandable, but you have to realise this is a reaction to how England as a whole treats the game of football, it's a reaction to the media, to the fucking dickheads commentating on the BBC who say every single decision should go England's way, to the fucking dicks that travel to Germany with three lions tattooed on their chest and walk around giving nazi salutes, to the fact even that England treats pretty much every sport exactly the same way as this. Thats why everyone wants to see England lose. It's not aimed at the ordinary England fan, so don't take it personally. If all the anti-English stuff is going to stop, then everything that portrays England in such a triumphalist manner must stop first. The BBC must be told to stop injecting bias into their match coverage, the hooligans must be dealt with once and for all, and the press should just be stopped covering English sport full stop!
ah here

don't be thick

thick, it gets on my wick

I didn't want England because they played extremely dull football, the kind you would expect from a lesser footballing power with not as many good players.
Also, I was at the dull England-Ecuador game and a good majority of their fans were singing a song about bombing the germans out of the sky. They also weren't really watching alot of the game, instead taunting the germans in the neutral section were I was. This was in reaction to a simple chant of "deutchland, deutchland".
It's crap not being able to cheer for England as I do for Liverpool (It annoyed me that it was Carra and Gerrard that missed penalties).... they should really be the second country I cheer for behind Ireland.

Allez les bleus!!!!

Stan Bowles said:
That's really funny cos that is exactly how you come accross on this here football board. Don't hold it against you, it's just funny you tagged that on the end.

Hardly. I say everyone is shit, not just England. It just so happens that in my opinion apart from Switzerland, England were the most boring team in the World Cup, and I'm glad to see them go out just for that.

Cormcolash said:
Hardly. I say everyone is shit, not just England. It just so happens that in my opinion apart from Switzerland, England were the most boring team in the World Cup, and I'm glad to see them go out just for that.

Portugal were a lot worse than England. They didn't even have a shot all game. And they were in the easiest qualifying group. And the Dutch game? Dirty fuckers.

snakybus said:
Why shouldn't the BBC's coverage be biased towards its own team? In fairness like. Okay, so the Scots and Welsh own it as well, but they never get into anything anyway.

RTE is just as jingoistic about Ireland (except Dunphy, but he's just there for comic effect)

The BBC has actually been pretty critical of the England team this time - it's not like in Chinny Hill's day anymore.
i refute that remark. nobody, not even us, is jingoistic about irelands performance EVER.

not to mention we don't assume that we've won a tournament before it kicks off.

but seriously, rte 's coverage of irish games? jingoistic? where's our ian wright?

Cormcolash said:
I'm sorry but that is a load of cock, you come on here all the time taking the piss out of England every chance you get, and have done so as long as I have posted here. I have no problem with that, but don't post a long rant about England and then say 'hating the English is just stupid'.

billygannon said:
Portugal were a lot worse than England. They didn't even have a shot all game. And they were in the easiest qualifying group. And the Dutch game? Dirty fuckers.
portugal... oh my god. so appaling... that game against angola? jesus wept.

The worst losers at this WC were the Argies who started a fucking brawl on the pitch, but nobody says anything about them.

I don't expect Irish people to actively support England, but then I find it depressing to hear them support everyone but England. I thought we'd have got over it all by now TBH. I felt shit when Ronaldo scored his peno, not because I wanted England to go through (I didn't, had money on them not reaching the SF) but because I was surrounded by a bunch of morons cheering because the aul enemy got beaten again.

Liverpool fans laughing at Gerrard and Carragher missing penos.

Chelsea fans laughing at Lampard for the same.

:rolleyes:

If you want to stop hearing about 1966 then stop fucking talking about it. No nation mentions it more than us! Yes, the English (I mean English) media is shit, but I'm not forced to watch Sky News or watch the BBC so I don't.

Hector Grey said:
i refute that remark. nobody, not even us, is jingoistic about irelands performance EVER.

not to mention we don't assume that we've won a tournament before it kicks off.

but seriously, rte 's coverage of irish games? jingoistic? where's our ian wright?

oh you know, Bill O'Herlihy, the guys on TV3

Roy Keane this, Steve Staunton that

As if the team would beat the dog and duck

and okay, I concede if it's not AS jingoistically pro-Ireland, but it's very jingoistically anti-English. Brady, Gilesy, Dunphy all getting the knives out. It's embarrassing, even though it's a good laugh.

snakybus said:
oh you know, Bill O'Herlihy, the guys on TV3

Roy Keane this, Steve Staunton that

As if the team would beat the dog and duck

and okay, I concede if it's not AS jingoistically pro-Ireland, but it's very jingoistically anti-English. Brady, Gilesy, Dunphy all getting the knives out. It's embarrassing, even though it's a good laugh.
well, they slate everyone,,
teh lads on tv3 ...well fuck that. they're not even human.

Stan Bowles, never! I'll never support the invading hun!

heh heh

But I should tell you guys some time the story of me and Tom Dunning ending up in a flats in Summerhill (knackeragua) with me with a St George's Cross painted on my face and Tom roaring his head off in his inimitable way, the day of England v Paraguay. How we got out of there aliove, I don't know.

i was glad to see them knocked out.
only because if they'd got any further playing so shit it would've been a disgrace. (ronaldo and rooney though, what a pair of little bollix's.)
i was also glad to see brazil knocked out by france, simply cos france were better. i think i'd like them to win the whole thing...

Here's what Tom Humphries says about supporting England, which i agree with:

'Our lives are suddenly infested by people who feel that it is wrong to cheer against England. It is not wrong. It is fun. Cheering against England has nothing to do with us not seeing the funny side of all the centuries of oppression. It is a joy unto itself. It is the joy of the Manchester City fan who sees United hammered. The Tranmere fan who hears of a disaster in Anfield or Goodison. The Rovers fan in his petty envy of the mighty Bohs. It is the fat man on the banana skin. It is football.

billygannon said:
But my point is why were they supporting Portugal (or whoever England was playing)? That's the really crap bit. Anyone I've told here about it has been really taken aback by it.
Ireland's a bit too rich these days to justify being bitter about England. Ah! Fuck it.

I'm bored with this post-post-colonialism it's bad to want England to lose PC stuff. England are our near neighbours, they're bigger than us and yes they're probably better than us, the Scots and Welsh don't have to apologise for enjoying seeing them lose. I enjoy seeing England lose at Rugby and Football, I don't care about them in cricket because I don't care about the game but I like seeing British Athletes doing well in Olympics/World Championships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back