The World Cup!! (1 Viewer)

therecklessone said:
The worst losers at this WC were the Argies who started a fucking brawl on the pitch, but nobody says anything about them.

I don't expect Irish people to actively support England, but then I find it depressing to hear them support everyone but England. I thought we'd have got over it all by now TBH. I felt shit when Ronaldo scored his peno, not because I wanted England to go through (I didn't, had money on them not reaching the SF) but because I was surrounded by a bunch of morons cheering because the aul enemy got beaten again.

Liverpool fans laughing at Gerrard and Carragher missing penos.

Chelsea fans laughing at Lampard for the same.

:rolleyes:

If you want to stop hearing about 1966 then stop fucking talking about it. No nation mentions it more than us! Yes, the English (I mean English) media is shit, but I'm not forced to watch Sky News or watch the BBC so I don't.

I refuse to go to a pub to watch England play precisely because of those pricks. No one is saying you have to actively support England. I certainly don't unless The Greatest Goalkeeper In The World is playing - which he wasn't this time around. If he was they would still be in it. However it's the excessive celebrations of their defeats that are just depressing. The reports of Portugese flags hanging outside people's houses etc. The seemingly higher than usual number of Celtic jersies on display in Newbridge last Saturday. The fact that someone thought it necessary to set up a site called anyonebutengland.com.

It's very easy to say that none of this stuff is personal and shouldn't be taken as such but it's quite easy to assume otherwise when surrounded by anti-England fans jumping for joy when they lose. It's the inconsistency as highlighted above that bothers me.

i was down in a pub in ranelagh saturday night. fella easily in his 50s. big grey tash and tanned. wearing a portugal jersey. thought to myself maybe hes from portugal. 1/2 hour later he was talking to someone and the dirtiest dublin accent comes belowing out. anti english statements followed to the high hilt. sad fucker.

do you think he bought it especial, like?
i saw a fair few portugal flags around (about two) but i make the assumption that portugese people lived in those abodes. am i ignorant and wrong? worse than a dirty kiddie fid'ler?

but seriously joe, as a mother, it's been 40 years of "sixty six and all that", imagine the furore if they won it. it would be deafening and maddening.

Sixty six is a crap restaurant.

Stan Bowles said:
I'm sorry but that is a load of cock, you come on here all the time taking the piss out of England every chance you get, and have done so as long as I have posted here. I have no problem with that, but don't post a long rant about England and then say 'hating the English is just stupid'.

For the reasons I mentioned already, I hate English football. I don't support any English teams. If the media etc. weren't such dicks and bad losers, I wouldn't have a problem with English football, but they are so I do. People wise though, I like English people as much as anyone else, or hate them as much if they are dickheads, which you get everywhere anyway. This is my point and I think you may have misinterpreted my post. My view is if you hate the English just because they are English, that is fucking stupid, but if you hate them when it comes to sport for all the reasons I have mentioned, that's fair enough if you ask me.

Also, Portugal were a better team than England. Portugal played England without two of their key players, one of whom is the key man when Portugal are playing football. Look at the matches Portugal played in, vs. Mexico, vs. Holland, maybe not the greatest football in the world but at least they were entertaining in some fashion. Look at England's matches, against every team they were just boring and crap as fuck. Every single team. If it wasn't for two free-kicks that crept in, they wouldn't even have scored against Paraguay or Ecuador. That's just shite.

But I think you in turn have missed my point Cormcolash, I said I understood the slagging of the English football team and media, I haven't been able to watch any of the BBC coverage cos of that prick Ian Wright. I couldn't very well sit here and say we should all get along with all the Chelsea slagging I do here.

The point I was making was that with your predictable, and ever so over the top anti-english remarks that you spit out at every chance you get, you yourself come accross as that person slaggin Lefty in the pub. Or the people in the pub that upset Billy. Or the old saddo in the pub wearing the newly bought Portugal top. The very people you called sad.

Agreed.
I cannot believe how good Cannavaro is. Hopefully Zinedine will do the business.

perhaps a small, tasteful flag, like something one might find skewering a particularly vulgar canapé, size-wise.

was thinking cannavarro for player of the tournament - he's been stunning. but then, he always was amazing - but always in the enormous shadow of paolo maldini.

odds on Toni getting 4 goals in the final? whatever they are, I like 'em! COME ON TONI!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back