The World Cup!! (1 Viewer)

Lefty Frizzell said:
The voting for the golden ball award took place at half time, before he got sent off.

Yeah I know.

The voting journos wanted to give him a hollywood send-off. Zizou picks up the world cup, and gets voted the tournament's best player, thus confirming his status and the defining player of this era.

Pity he was only at his brilliant best in one game out of seven. It's contrived, misty-eyed twaddle to deny cannavaro the award, a player who was consistently very good to excellent, in the whole competition. But he's only a defender.

Bleedin madness.

Hey Avernus,
How do you know what Materazzi said and that he's a bigot? You must have had great feckin seats!

I have to say though, for all the blah-de-blah, Zidane was absolutely stupid.

The Daily Mail?!
I read same source elsewhere, but I don't actually buy it.
'Speculation' and sensationalism. There is no name to that 'terrorist' nonsense

Be the Hokey said:
The Daily Mail?!
I read same source elsewhere, but I don't actually buy it.
'Speculation' and sensationalism. There is no name to that 'terrorist' nonsense

no I wouldnt trust the daily mail, but it's a strange one to pluck out of the sky. I heard it first, but then found that.

Yeah I heard it elsewhere, but I think it's just talk cos everyone is dying to know what he said.

Best part of that article is the quite amazing 1st comment after it!!!!

"We were watching the final with our two children -- ages 5 and 7. After the foul and ejection, we paused the action and had a family conversation about the importance of self control and the consequences of impulsive actions. We at least were able to salvage a good lesson out of an otherwise pointless act.

This case is a good reminder that opponents don't need to be strong enough to defeat you so long as they are clever enough to make you defeat yourself.

- Douglas Fishback, Tulsa, Oklahoma, USA"

If my Dad did that before the end of the World Cup Final coming up to penos I'd headbutt him in the chest double quick!

Be the Hokey said:
Yeah I heard it elsewhere, but I think it's just talk cos everyone is dying to know what he said.

"We were watching the final with our two children -- ages 5 and 7. After the foul and ejection, we paused the action and had a family conversation about the importance of self control and the consequences of impulsive actions. We at least were able to salvage a good lesson out of an otherwise pointless act.

This case is a good reminder that opponents don't need to be strong enough to defeat you so long as they are clever enough to make you defeat yourself.

If my Dad did that before the end of the World Cup Final coming up to penos I'd headbutt him in the chest double quick!

hahaha

Temple Bar Square was mental last night.

"Franza! Faffanculo!!" they cheered. And Italians really love 7 Nation Army for some reason.

Be the Hokey said:

Mr Fishback then added "And if that didn't work, I'd shoot them in their faces with ma Glock. Bitches."

At last Zidane does something on the football pitch that i could have done.

I don't think it will tarnish his reputation in the long run; after all maradona exited the 82 world cup on a stupid red card that he deserved, and left the 94 world cup after failing a drugs test, but all people talk about is his contribution to the 86 world cup. The hype and deification of zidane before the game was getting a little out of hand and it's nice for us all to be reminded that he's just a human being. Anyway, I don't think it made a blind bit of difference to the result; trezeguet was very unlucky with his penalty.

So Zidane is a well-paid professional footballer who should be able to 'handle any taunts'?

Hypothetical situation #1: Assume for a second that Materazzi called him 'an Arab c*nt'.

Is that acceptable?
If you answer yes consider yourself an apologist for racism in football.

Remember the Eric Cantona incident?

You can be sure if Materazzi racially abused the referee he would not go unpunished.

Hypothetical situation #2: Assume Materazzi hit / elbowed / pushed Zidane first.

Is that acceptable?

Is it ok for someone to start a fight but not to retaliate?

While the referee had no choice but to send Zidane off it's a pity that nobody stops and asks
'why did Zidane do that? he obviously had good reason'

Fuck it, if you can repost your boards.ie posts so can I...;)

Have to disagree.

Zidane had no good reason to retaliate because the rules of the game he has played for the last 18 years prohibit players taking the law into their own hands. Whatever was said by Materazzi, there is no good reason for Zidane's reaction.

I'm not an apologist for Materazzi, and if he racially abused Zidane (or committed an offence punishable by FIFA) then he should be dealt with. That he escaped censure on the pitch is unfortunate, but the officials cannot be expected to spot every infraction, and verbals are much harder to catch.

I'll leave out the p.s. ;););)

zidane.gif

although france took the game to italy more from half time on italy still had the best scoring chances
i don't think it was a penalty.
nobody liked materazzi anyway so what's changed ? we don't know what he said yet if it was racist then action needs to be taken i don't know if that can be proven.
zidane has been sent off 14 times so he can kick with the best of them and got what he deserved.
i agree there was terrible fluff written about what a great bloke he is in the media at the weekend. there were hundreds of players in the WC who 've had a tougher upbringing than him and nobody writes about them. like a lot of yuppies who boast about how poor they once were he long since left his previous life behind with a typical ' I'm alright jack screw everyone else' attitude.

it is a travesty Cannavaro was not player of the tournament. even sky sports news had a poll of their own and cannavaro was getting the majority of the vote. clique journalists were clueless though.

nuke terrorist said:
although france took the game to italy more from half time on italy still had the best scoring chances
i don't think it was a penalty.
nobody liked materazzi anyway so what's changed ? we don't know what he said yet if it was racist then action needs to be taken i don't know if that can be proven.
zidane has been sent off 14 times so he can kick with the best of them and got what he deserved.
i agree there was terrible fluff written about what a great bloke he is in the media at the weekend. there were hundreds of players in the WC who 've had a tougher upbringing than him and nobody writes about them. like a lot of yuppies who boast about how poor they once were he long since left his previous life behind with a typical ' I'm alright jack screw everyone else' attitude.

it is a travesty Cannavaro was not player of the tournament. even sky sports news had a poll of their own and cannavaro was getting the majority of the vote. clique journalists were clueless though.

France had the best scoring chances - Zidane's header was the closest thing to a goal, and Italy's offside goal was their only shot on target for the last 75 minutes

the reason lots of people wrote about Zidane is because he was brilliant and inspiring

there's no evidence he has had an "I'm all right jack" attitude

I think a combination of factors contributed to Zidane getting the Golden Ball. It was supposed to be the Hollywood ending to an otherwise uninspiring WC, Zizou turning it on for one last game, strating with his cheeky peno.

There's also the bias towards attack-minded players among the majority of football spectators.

Which leads me to the most important point, that the majority cannot appreciate good defending and associate it with boring football. If you truly love football, you should be able to recognise the skill involved in good defence. Other than the final there was nothing boring about that Italian team, they scored more goals than the "entertaining" French while displaying the fine art of defence through the imperious Cannavaro, the two full backs and their Keeper. Even Materazzi had a great final, mouthing off aside.

I :heart: good defence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back