The Fightin', Fussin' and Mixed MArtial arts thread.. (2 Viewers)

i know nothing about it, but seems to have been a lot truer to the "Mixed" in MMA back then.

Very much so, there was a sumo dude who got beat in about 15 seconds after going all E Honda on his opponent and even a boxer who wore a single glove.

One of the guys from Fox n' Friends was the in-ring reporter too.

i know nothing about it, but seems to have been a lot truer to the "Mixed" in MMA back then.

Yes. Back then people were purely one art like Wrestling, Karate, Judo etc.

Now everyone trains in all the aspects ofthe game - Striking, grappling, submissions. The closest you can get now is someone who has a base art (like Randy Couture is a greco roman wrestler but is now well versed in boxing and submissions) but trains all the aspects.

The sport is now old enough that some fighters first martial art was MMA.

remember when lennox lewis said he wanted a go of brock lesnar?

Actually no - that musta been kinda recent too.

But both Bas Rutten and Rickson Gracie challanged Tyson.
Alistair Overeem Wanted to Fight one of the Klitschkos (I presume in K1 rules both Klitschkos were kickboxers too).

The Gracies used to have an open challenge where you could win money (not sure when this stopped):

gracieChallange.jpg

And of course there was the terrible ALi vs Anoki fight (one of the fist mma style vs Style that was filmed)..

very little of the "Art" part though. wonderfully brutal in it's infancy
I think the lowest point and one of the nails in the coffin of that class of MMA was this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

awful messing altogether

That was Takada vs Trevor Berbick in the Uwfi (UWFI was a 'stiff' prowrestling company)

I imagine that was one of 2 things happened there.

1) They agreed before the fight to kicks above the waist and Takada (along with the ref) though low kicks were fine.

2) They agreed to do a 'work' and Takada double crossed Berbick (i'd say this happened).

On a side note Kazushi Sakuraba started his career in UWFI jobbing to the likes of Takada.

James Warring also did a Boxer verus Wrestler fight in UWFI.

So.
the heavyweights tomorrow night.
2 questions.
How long is it going to last?
Who wins?

I say, Dos Santos in 6 mins or less.
Should be a great fight - Guida vs Henderson will be insane and very, very hairy.

So.
the heavyweights tomorrow night.
2 questions.
How long is it going to last?
Who wins?

I say, Dos Santos in 6 mins or less.
Should be a great fight - Guida vs Henderson will be insane and very, very hairy.

Just watched it. ATTENTION, spoilers

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!!
MUTHERFUCKERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRZZZZZZZZZ!!!!

steve albino;1430066 I say said:
If I saw this earliuer, I would have said Cain by TKO in round 3 or 4. I would have also said that his wrestling is too much for JDS and all other things being
equal that would be the decider. I might have also said this is also a Heavy weight bout with 2 VERY heavy hitters so anything could happen.

But i just watched the fight and WOW. I was so up for JDS but I thought him unlikely to win. Maybe Cains ringrust was bad but it was so short who knows. I am glad Henderson won too...

I'm not really how good a show this was for first timers watching it on Fox. One very exciting long drawn out fight and 2 fights that totalled less than 3 minutes add to this 20 minutes of footage of people walking around the ring wiht very little commentry and no highlights. Me I enjoyed but not sure what a first timer would think...

If I saw this earliuer, I would have said Cain by TKO in round 3 or 4. I would have also said that his wrestling is too much for JDS and all other things being
equal that would be the decider. I might have also said this is also a Heavy weight bout with 2 VERY heavy hitters so anything could happen.

But i just watched the fight and WOW. I was so up for JDS but I thought him unlikely to win. Maybe Cains ringrust was bad but it was so short who knows. I am glad Henderson won too...

I'm not really how good a show this was for first timers watching it on Fox. One very exciting long drawn out fight and 2 fights that totalled less than 3 minutes add to this 20 minutes of footage of people walking around the ring wiht very little commentry and no highlights. Me I enjoyed but not sure what a first timer would think...

To be honest I was the first to be shocked at being right, but Dos santos has the fucking devil's fists. That's not a metaphor, he literally has satan's left and right.
Didn't watch the "show" stuff, rarely ever do - the facebook prelims kept me awake until some stupid hour so i guess they were good - can't remember a fucking thing apart from johnson's very nifty and gentleman-like UTTER FUCKING K-OH! so i'll have to watch them again.
Tell you what though, i am now officially king of the predictions 'round here.
And also very tired...

It all just came back to me - those facebook fights were brilliant. Really enjoyable.

Didn't watch the facebook fights and they're impossible to find after the fact.

I just found out that the 1 hour slot on FOX in the states only showed the main even. So the introduction of MMA to most of main stream America was a 90second fight and 50 mins of lead up and analyse.

Hendo vs SHogun next week, that should be fun. I have Hendo for this but who know what Shogum will show up. Also Silva vs Cung Le. Silva (among with Sak and Igor V) is one of my fave fighters of ALL TIME. I really miss the Monster from Pride. I don't think I can watch another loss. I do like CUng Le though (I'm a sucker for a kicker as I started with a TKD background).

Didn't watch the facebook fights and they're impossible to find after the fact.

I just found out that the 1 hour slot on FOX in the states only showed the main even. So the introduction of MMA to most of main stream America was a 90second fight and 50 mins of lead up and analyse.

Hendo vs SHogun next week, that should be fun. I have Hendo for this but who know what Shogum will show up. Also Silva vs Cung Le. Silva (among with Sak and Igor V) is one of my fave fighters of ALL TIME. I really miss the Monster from Pride. I don't think I can watch another loss. I do like CUng Le though (I'm a sucker for a kicker as I started with a TKD background).

Henderson with a first or early second round tko, I can't see how Shogun wins this, especially if his knees are still fucked.
Silva should beat the fucking snot out of Cung Le and I really hope that he does so that twirly feet can stop his messing there and then. In saying that, I do think that Silva should have retired a couple of fights back, but the post fight speech will be incredible either way.

Henderson with a first or early second round tko, I can't see how Shogun wins this, especially if his knees are still fucked.
Silva should beat the fucking snot out of Cung Le and I really hope that he does so that twirly feet can stop his messing there and then. In saying that, I do think that Silva should have retired a couple of fights back, but the post fight speech will be incredible either way.

early tko my balls, what a fucking fight. murderous goings on altogether.
Silva looked terrible against a worse looking Le, time to hang them up methinks.

Great main event btut I think it should have been a draw. Hendo getting round 1-3 and Shogun getting the last 2 with Round 5 being a 10-8 round. I agree that Silva should retire on a win. His style of brawling doesn't work as well as he gets older.

The Bonnar fight was weird. The 2 guys going on about it being a potential fight of the night and that they came there to bang etc. Then Bonnar Blankets the other fighter without any decent sub attempts..

[video=youtube_share;kMP2k_ApOgI]http://youtu.be/kMP2k_ApOgI[/video]

Yeah I heard the Alverez was amazing...I must watch it..

That bare knuckle fight is James McDonagh Quinn vs The Lurcher Joyce. When youtube first came up I put up an edit of that fight I made - it got about a quarter million views. Theres a decent documentry that just came out about Quinn called 'Knuckle'.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back