Dublin: Guitar/Bass/Drums/Vox/Keys/Multi: Original band (1 Viewer)

potkettleblack

Writer/Vocalist/Guitarist seeks collaborators/musicians to form a band.

Band Genre: It has guitars, bass, drums, keys. It ain’t The Carpenters. See Influences.

Band Location:
Dublin. Special bonus points if you happen to have a Canadian or US Passport. I’m in Dublin, but open to relocation.

Positions Available:
Guitar, vocals, bass, drums, keys. Multi-instrumentalists very welcome. Vocal ability is preferable. I like harmonies.

General Age: 23 through 31

About Me / Background:

I’ve just returned to Dublin after several years in US and Canada, much of which was spent playing music. Played (lead) guitar in a desert rock band in Arizona, guitars/keys/multi-instrumentalist with Americana-meets-shoegaze in Boston, playing shows up and down the East Coast, did the solo Indie thing in both Toronto and Boston. Prior to all of that, I played as a sideman/arranger with a bunch of singer-songwriters and bands in Dublin back when that was the thing to do here in the early part of the decade. (This all probably makes me sound rather old. I’m not. I’m 25. Although playing as a sideman to singer-songwriters will make you feel old pretty quickly…)

About Me / Current:

I have a rather large stock of good songs sitting there and ready to go. I’m not that attached to them, I mean, I know they’re good, and I’d be curious to see how a band could deconstruct them and put them back together, but I’m probably more excited about the unfinished bits and pieces that I would bring to the table with collaborators in a band. If I was interested in going the solo/singer songwriter route, I would, but I’m not. I need the input and collaboration of other people to keep me interested. Plus, the end result of a bunch of different musicians coming from different directions and hitting a pocket where it all seems to work is more satisfying than anything else I’ve done.

There’s always compromise when you’re in a band (bands are like a marriage…) but the end result in my mind is always the more interesting for it. It doesn’t mean that it becomes a sprawling oh-so-democratic super-politically-correct let’s-not-hurt-anyone’s-feelings sort of mess. There’s times when getting shit done means people have to take charge. It’s just doesn’t have to be the same person all the time. Musicians are innately a little bit mental, I just think that a band works on the tenet that we’re not all mental on the same day. We just kinda all provide a foundation for each other to go seek out the musical happy accidents/serendipity/moments of inspiration.

I’m looking for people who are:

- Good musicians, think and feel musically, have a bit of intelligence to boot.

- Hopefully have a little production/engineering experience. I have some decent experience in that area, and it’d be ideal to pool talents and gear here too. Where things are at right now not only requires us to be beyond original musically to fight through all the crap that is getting passed off as rock’n’roll, it also requires us to be relatively self sufficient. We need to be able to just get shit done, and we’re going to need to be able to get a lot of it done ourselves. We have to go one better than the bands and musicians that came before us, who had collaborators and producers to help get the sound out of their head. We have to do this shit ourselves, and do it really fucking well.

- Willing. We might not hit on anything interesting until we’ve been in the rehearsal room for a while and we have to be prepared to keep going at it. Keep turning up to rehearsals, keep giving it hell, and keep doing it. If we’re going to make a living out of playing music, we have to be happy with spending a lot of time out on tour, and just doing it. If you’re starting a band and hoping to make a living out of it, then you’re effectively looking at committing up to five years of your life before you might see any return. If it’s creatively fulfilling, the basic bills are getting paid, and the ride is fun, then that should be a small commitment. You’re fucking doing it, and not talking about it. In any event, many artists have suffered far more for their art than rock’n’roll bands. From how I see it, most bands starting out have a similar level of talent, the winners are the ones who keep going at it, and keep putting in the work consistently, keep shaping things in favour of the muse until they hit on something really good. Be under no fucking illusions, moments of serendipitous inspiration mostly happen when you’ve put the work in.

- Are free to proceed, with their shit together, and in a place to do it. Your head is together, there’s nothing tying you down, and you’re ready to go. If you’re married/practically married, then your other half is supportive, and is ok with the idea that you’re going to be busy with this thing for a while. If you’ve got a kid, you’ve got an idea of how you’re going to make sure there’s food on the table while you do this. You’ve got good gear to play with, or you at least have playable gear and a good plan of how to get good gear.

- Can communicate. You know how to work with people, and you know how to pick your battles. If you’ve managed to share a house with a few people, and no one hates each other when you move out, you’ve probably done this. You’re staring down the barrel of working with the same people for a common good for years. You have to actually give a shit about each other, you have to know when to let it slide, and when to take someone aside and say something without bitching them out. You have to know when to bitch someone out too, I suppose. As touchy-feely as it sounds too, people in a band have to be able to give each other a bit of moral support, so that we’re able to keep tapping that muse. We sort of have to hold each other up if shit gets difficult.

- Has a little bit of biz savvy, or at least be willing to get some/think things out. Fuck it, most of us traditionally don’t, aren’t interested, and probably got into playing music because whatever fucking trip Mr. Joe the office worker is on, we want no part of it. However, we’re most likely going to have to be self sufficient and make a lot of things happen ourselves. As loathe as I am to say this, a band are essentially partners in a business. It’s all well and good to take a stance of art and business shouldn’t mix / “Keep that business shit away from me before it infects my muse” but the reality is that most great art is made when the artist isn’t panicking about paying the bills. People make crap artistic decisions when they’re trying to sort out money problems. It’s music first, but perversely that means taking care of things so that we’re musically hungry, not physically hungry. It’s possible to be focused on the music, whilst taking care of the business side ethically, with integrity, and in such a way that it doesn’t fuck with the core reason we’re doing this. Making music.

"Influences" / (or more accurately) Here’s stuff I listen to:

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds: Let Love In, Henry’s Dream, Tender Prey, Abattoir Blues/Lyre of Orpheus, Dig!!! Lazarus Dig!!! Grinderman.
Wilco: Yankee Hotel Foxtrot, Summerteeth, A Ghost Is Born
The Wedding Present: Seamonsters, Bizarro, Take Fountain
Split Enz: Dizrythmia, Time and Tide
Ryan Adams: Heartbreaker, Love Is Hell
Nirvana: Bleach, Incesticide
Sparks: A Woofer in Tweeter’s Clothing, Kimono My House, Propaganda, Indiscreet, Angst In My Pants
Roxy Music: For Your Pleasure
Pixies: Come On, Pilgrim! Surfer Rosa, Bossanova
Leonard Cohen: Laughin’ Len’s 75 Best of, Death of A Ladies Man, I’m Your Man
AC/DC: Powerage, Dirty Deeds
Richard & Linda Thompson: I Want To See The Bright Lights Tonight, Shoot Out The Lights
Nick Drake: Five Leaves Left, Pink Moon
Bonnie Prince Billy: I See A Darkness
Howling Bells: Howling Bells
Kraftwerk: Radio-Aktivitat, Trans Europa Express, Die Mensch Machine.
Peter Gabriel: Peter Gabriel III (in German!)
Siouxsie and The Banshees: Once Upon A Time, Twice Upon A Time
The Undertones: The Undertones
Sex Pistols: Never Mind The Bollocks, Here’s The Sex Pistols
The Cure: Three Imaginary Boys, Seventeen Seconds
Joy Division: Unknown Pleasures
Gram Parsons: GP, Grievous Angel
Gillian Welch: Time (The Revelator)
Crowded House: Temple of Low Men
PJ Harvey: Stories from The City, Stories from The Sea
Radiohead: In Rainbows
U2: Zooropa

(This by no means should be taken as a guide as to what I’m looking to sound like, it’s really just some records I like)

My gear:

- Telecaster (US, modified a bit)
- Danelectro 12-String
- Martin acoustic w/pickup
- Some assorted fuzz pedals (Big Muff, Hotcake)
- Lil’ Baby ProTools rig w/controller keyboard (and more weird mellotron samples than anyone who is not Jay Bennett, Mitchell Froom, or Jon Brion could ever have use for.)
- Laney Guitar amp.
- Various assorted recording gear (analogue and digital) and mics.

any takers yet?
Between here and Boards.ie, people are getting in touch. I haven't met up with anyone yet. It's the week before Christmas, everyone is fuckin' manic already.

If you're interested Red_Dog, shoot me a PM and I'll meet up with your black coffee lovin' self and discuss if we barking up the right tree musically.

Im a bassist but want to hear a few tracks to see where you're coming from. Influences are grand and all but your output could be entirely different.

You got any tracks online?

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Mohammad Syfkhan 'I Am Kurdish' Dublin Album Launch
Bello Bar
1 Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland
Bloody Head, Hubert Selby Jr Infants, Creepy Future - Dublin
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads... If we had any... Which we don't right now.

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back