Scutter or any other bikers.... (1 Viewer)

Jill Hives

Once Removed
Supporter
Contributor
Solutions
Website
25.media.tumblr.com
I nearly killed myself last night on Sheriff Street riding my bike, with no lights or brakes. I bought a 1950's Raleigh steel frame bike when I got here for a few euro but the brake pads are completely gone. Is it still possible to fix these? Do they make the parts for them still? Also it has a place where a light once was and I was wondering if the new lights would work on this old bike? Any thoughts? Or a good bike shop on the northside/city centre?

death_wish_four.jpg

brian02bike.72.jpg

You can buy replacement brake pads in any bike shop. I *think* there’s some minor issues about old bikes, but it's still possible. Your local friendly bike shop man or lady will know what to do.

For lights, do you mean you want a dynamo and stuff? If so, someone must have a spare one lying around. Just ask around, or I'm sure they're on the internets somewhere.
However, you’d be better off getting a set of LED lights from Argos or your local bike shop.

Also, buy a hi viz vest and email [email protected] and ask them for some free reflective bands, which you can wrap round your ankles.

Also also, please don't cycle in the dark with no lights or hi viz anymore.

You can buy replacement brake pads in any bike shop. I *think* there’s some minor issues about old bikes, but it's still possible. Your local friendly bike shop man or lady will know what to do.

For lights, do you mean you want a dynamo and stuff? If so, someone must have a spare one lying around. Just ask around, or I'm sure they're on the internets somewhere.
However, you’d be better off getting a set of LED lights from Argos or your local bike shop.

Also, buy a hi viz vest and email [email protected] and ask them for some free reflective bands, which you can wrap round your ankles.

Or brakes

sorry mammy

I know, I know but it was only a few blocks. The brakes kinda work, the front more than the back. Not many people walking around last night in that dodge area so I rode on the sidewalks most of the way. Northside bike shops? Anyone?

dude! that's mega dangerous! anyway glad you're ok but - woah. be careful in future....both with being high vis AND having a well-fucntioning bike. it's for your safety and that of others :)

you can buy good LED lights for front and back for about a fiver in most bike shops. and get a vest too!

also, what buzzo said. about the bike, i mean!

Cool bike. When my father was young he'd cycle all the way to the dance in Ballyforan on the male version of one of those. With a girleen sitting on the handlebars.

A picture of the brakes would be extra helpful.

I guessed it was one of those- still the bike of choice with the old men in Donegal

I'd say the accessories from the modern one will fit the old one

the old ones had rod brakes , not sure if they've kept this feature?

these guys have some info on classic 3speeds and parts

But Id say any bike shop in Dublin will have some knowledge of them too

http://sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html

There's a bike shop in fairview, think it's on the left turn for Malahide coming out from town. I've always found them decent and reasonably priced.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back