Scutter or any other bikers.... (3 Viewers)

If your bike has rod brakes etc and you want anything fixed bar a tube I'd imagine most shops would tell you to buy a new bike as parts for those bike are now scarce, expensive or non existant.
Old braking systems e.g. pre cantilever brakes and previous are shit in the rain and there is nothing that can be done to fix that, steel wheels dont help either and you would be hard pushed to find alloy ones for 26 1 1/4 or 28 1 3/8. I imagine your wheel size is one of the aforementioned.

Sorry for being negative but I used work in bike shops around Dublin for ten years and this is what i would say to anybody who came in with bikes like these.

3 speed hubs are also a nightmare to fix, hundreds of pawls and cogs so if its gone you will be hard pushed to get it fixed.

Labour charges on old bikes like this often vastly surpass the worth of the bike.

Hi Hayworth, not much to add that the others haven't already said. The brakes being a little crap could be just the pads being worn (in which case things might not be that bad).

Yeah it's just the pads. I had the tubes and tires replaced right after I bought it. Had a basket put on too. All for 90 euro in Templeogue. You can see the brakes working it's just the pads that are worn down so they don't touch the rim or whatever. Ya know what I mean?

Here is the bike if it helps:

bike1.jpg

when I were a lad these type of bikes were known as "High Nellys"...

Yeah it's just the pads. I had the tubes and tires replaced right after I bought it. Had a basket put on too. All for 90 euro in Templeogue. You can see the brakes working it's just the pads that are worn down so they don't touch the rim or whatever. Ya know what I mean?

you should be able to unscrew the rubber part of the pad and detach it from the bit that holds it on. Then you can bring that along to the shop, show it to them, and ask them if they stock them.

I'd have to see it to know if you can do this. If not, you might have to get the whole block replaced, which could be as tough as some have already mentioned.

Can you not just use the sole of your runners off the back tyre as a brake? Its easier to replace runners!

you should be able to unscrew the rubber part of the pad and detach it from the bit that holds it on. Then you can bring that along to the shop, show it to them, and ask them if they stock them.

I'd have to see it to know if you can do this. If not, you might have to get the whole block replaced, which could be as tough as some have already mentioned.

Can you not just use the sole of your runners off the back tyre as a brake? Its easier to replace runners!

So I brought it into a shop in Fairview on Saturday. It's already fixed and for only 20 euro. I'll buy lights tonight too. Now if I can remember what side of the road to stay on....I will be less of a menace. Thanks for all the suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back