Saul Williams does a Nike Ad (1 Viewer)

I don’t have a clue about this guy or what he stands for but to the uninitiated this reads like absolute bollox. And why are people putting so much blind faith in Obama, is it cause he is black (serious question)?

Broken Arm, I’ve updated myself, can I masturbate myself now plz? Maybe you can help me;

How can we protect music being used by ad people after the person dead (Nina Simone)? Should there be ethical guide lines on this?

'When I was a kid, if I saw an artist I admired doing a commercial, I'd think, "Too bad, he must really need the money." But now it's so pervasive. It's a virus. Artists are lining up to do ads. The money and exposure are too tantalizing for most artists to decline. Corporations are hoping to hijack a culture's memories for their product. They want an artist's audience, credibility, good will and all the energy the songs have gathered as well as given over the years. They suck the life and meaning from the songs and impregnate them with promises of a better life with their product.' Tom Waits
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20021007/letter

'When I was a kid, if I saw an artist I admired doing a commercial, I'd think, "Too bad, he must really need the money." But now it's so pervasive. It's a virus. Artists are lining up to do ads. The money and exposure are too tantalizing for most artists to decline. Corporations are hoping to hijack a culture's memories for their product. They want an artist's audience, credibility, good will and all the energy the songs have gathered as well as given over the years. They suck the life and meaning from the songs and impregnate them with promises of a better life with their product.' Tom Waits
http://www.thenation.com/doc/20021007/letter

Isn't Tom the greatest? :)

funny saul williams moment at a.t.p. a couple of years ago.

in mid-flow, to an entirely white crowd, saul shouts "you're all my niggas!"

then stops and does a big explanation of why, even though we're all white, we're actually all his niggas.

this is a vague proposition on his behalf. Do Nike consumers (and there are lots of them) want to be preached to? Do they really give a fuck what these 'worthy' ads will actually say?

Yeah i know what you're saying, but nike are such a big brand i mean they kind of go past having a specific target market that you hope will be into your music. I guess it might up downloads of that song so people can listen to it while jogging. Ultimately though it means a lot of people are hearing his song because the ads are getting shown a lot on tv at good times. so maybe it will help someone to happen across him for the first time.

Doing the ad was definitely a good thing for Saul Williams, there's no question there. But he took money from the kind of people who are the enemy in songs like 'List of Demands'.

Selling out is a trade off. Money and exposure in, artistic integrity and credibility out. Williams wants to have his cake and eat it. He says the exposure will give the chance to affect change, I reckon he's feeling guilty. Someone with ideals like his doesn't take money from Nike and sleep easy.

I know what selling out is supposed to mean but if nothing has changed about the music, he's just being given money to do what he does or has done. He obviously doesn't see it as selling out, he's rejected major labels and given his album away for free to protect that artistic integrity. I guess things like this are a way to support what he does.

Yeah i know what you're saying, but nike are such a big brand i mean they kind of go past having a specific target market that you hope will be into your music.

This is partially what I mean by unitentioanl co-opting of the debate.

or as Tom waits put it "They suck the life and meaning from the songs and impregnate them with promises of a better life with their product."

or as Tom waits put it "They suck the life and meaning from the songs and impregnate them with promises of a better life with their product."

As much as i adore waits, which is a lot, he is one of a very limited group that got to make the music they wanted and stay on a major label for a large portion of their time. Having said that, waits has never put his music in an ad maybe but he has put it in many a major hollywood film and he has acted in films which i think we definitely less about being in great films than a nice bit of money, "Mystery men" and "Domino" to name but a few.

I'd prefer Saul Williams to be given cash for the great music he has made rather than making shit records for cash.

he's not selling out - he's buying in;)

Yeah exactly, sure what harm? he hasn't changed anything, he's just being paid to do what he does, isn't that the dream.

funny saul williams moment at a.t.p. a couple of years ago.

in mid-flow, to an entirely white crowd, saul shouts "you're all my niggas!"

then stops and does a big explanation of why, even though we're all white, we're actually all his niggas.

i remember that! what was his explanation again?

If you're going to let your music be used on an ad, make sure it's an ad that runs in japan or on the continent or in Turkey or the new world (where they make wine). If your audience is in the UK or the States, don't blow all your cool for the sake of twenty grand by sticking your music on a herbal essences ad that runs during the World Cup.

That said, I've always felt that radio has brought about more artistic compromises than advertising. For radio, people make their songs a certain length, they mix and master them the a certain way; they avoid certain subjects; and even let it dictate their choice of singles. At least with ads the music is already finished and it can't be compromised really.

Yeah exactly, sure what harm? he hasn't changed anything, he's just being paid to do what he does, isn't that the dream.

bullshit

look into his eyes
400px-Mackaye.jpg

Tool
Hooker With A Penis

I met a boy wearing vans, 501s, and a
Dope beastie t, nipple rings, and
New tattoos that claimed that he
Was ogt,
From 92,
The first ep.

And in between
Sips of coke
He told me that
He thought
We were sellin out,
Layin down,
Suckin up
To the man.

Well now Ive got some
A-dvice for you, little buddy.
Before you point the finger
You should know that
Im the man,

And if Im the man,
Then youre the man, and
Hes the man as well so you can
Point that fuckin finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what Ive sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

So Ive got some
Advice for you, little buddy.
Before you point your finger
You should know that
Im the man,
If Im the fuckin man
Then youre the fuckin man as well
So you can
Point that fuckin finger up your ass.

All you know about me is what Ive sold you,
Dumb fuck.
I sold out long before you ever heard my name.

I sold my soul to make a record,
Dip shit,
And you bought one.

All you read and
Wear or see and
Hear on tv
Is a product
Begging for your
Fatass dirty
Dollar

So...shut up and

Buy my new record
Send more money
Fuck you, buddy.

If you're going to let your music be used on an ad, make sure it's an ad that runs in japan or on the continent or in Turkey or the new world (where they make wine). If your audience is in the UK or the States, don't blow all your cool for the sake of twenty grand by sticking your music on a herbal essences ad that runs during the World Cup.

That said, I've always felt that radio has brought about more artistic compromises than advertising. For radio, people make their songs a certain length, they mix and master them the a certain way; they avoid certain subjects; and even let it dictate their choice of singles. At least with ads the music is already finished and it can't be compromised really.
i saw a recent minilogue song / video incorporated into a carphone warehouse or O2 ad recently. the song was reworked as was the video.

or else it was a remix.
and video spin-off.

http://www.crackunit.com/2008/08/06/looks-like-carphone-warehouse-smells-and-sounds-like-minilogue/

too tired to read it.

and saul williams is shite.

bullshit

look into his eyes
400px-Mackaye.jpg

yep good point. I guess thumped has "sold out" because there is a westlife ad being displayed here. So I guess a little money was recieved. What harm we're not going to buy westlife albums as a result, pete has a little money to put into thumped. Grand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back