Saul Williams does a Nike Ad (1 Viewer)

well if you only like one of his songs, download it onto your ipod and don't worry about him selling out, you obviously aren't too fussed about what he's has to say.

Yeah see that's the problem, what with talk of the recession and all, there isn't many ads in the herald for black activist hip hop poets, but i am keeping an eye out. otherwise i enjoy what i do, but i'm fortunate I have a job that I enjoy and also pays on a regular basis.

radical activism doesn't pay, which is why you can't find job ads for it in the herald.

but if listening to saul williams while having a nice job is good enough for you, download it onto your ipod and don't worry about him selling out, you obviously aren't too fussed about what he has to say.

I don't think a person compromises themselves by doing an ad, but if music is supposed to have some sort of power that's transcends bullshit and is a humanising force in the world, then you can't really use it to sell stuff and still expect to be considered one of the good guys. He let his artform be used as a jingle - it's not a hanging offence: it just makes him much less appealing to people like me. Not for ethical reasons - more because it's such a cheap thing to do.

Yeah i agree with you, but i try to resist being turn of an artist because their song has been used in an ad. Lately Nina Nastasia had a song used in a car ad, i was uneasy with it in a way, it's a beautiful song and i didn't want to hear over a car ad, but on the other had, you know yourself, these people aren't making millions on album sales so of course that have to find ways to make a living making records. I guess an ad takes a lot of pressure off and gives you more freedom.

Other thing is when I was younger I'd never heard dj shadow the until the guinness ad, djs wouldn't have been my thing when i was i teenager, but i went out and bought endtroducing as a result and loved it, i didn't buy guinness though.

okay i'll stop now.

radical activism doesn't pay, which is why you can't find job ads for it in the herald.

Well i think that's the point right there then isn't it, Radical Activism doesn't pay but still he has to live and in his line of work god knows where the next pay check is coming from? Maybe this will give him time to create something great or use the money for something worthwhile, maybe he'll blow it all on gold rings, but i'll reserve judgement until i see what he does next. He feels that he can reach a larger audience and affect greater change by doing this, maybe he can and if he does then he's really being active, rather than preaching to the coverted or standing around with your mates screaming anarchy and grumbling about how crap the government is.

Well i think that's the point right there then isn't it, Radical Activism doesn't pay but still he has to live and in his line of work god knows where the next pay check is coming from? Maybe this will give him time to create something great or use the money for something worthwhile, maybe he'll blow it all on gold rings, but i'll reserve judgement until i see what he does next. He feels that he can reach a larger audience and affect greater change by doing this, maybe he can and if he does then he's really being active, rather than preaching to the coverted or standing around with your mates screaming anarchy and grumbling about how crap the government is.

bourgeoisie, you have understood nothing!

well i'm sure i'll get it figured out, in fact i'm going on amazon right now to buy a copy of no logo.

bourgeoisie?! your full of judgements and assumptions about people. Get down off your high horse.

The tradition of the oppressed teaches us that the ‘state of emergency’ in which we live is not the exception but the rule. We must attain to a conception of history that is in keeping with this insight. Then we shall clearly realize that it is our task to bring about a real state of emergency, and this will improve our position in the struggle against Fascism.

I DID THAT A LONG TIME AGO

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back