Restaurant Recommendations (2 Viewers)

Donkey OJ said:
milano have jizzed up their menu.

benny%20hill.jpg

Theseus Mock said:
not really fancy restauranty, but Lunch! on south william street have really nice calzone.

Lunch! is worth mentioning nonetheless. Good food, good prices and nice staff. A Zeelander brunch recommendation, although it is a bit pokey. You can sit outside, but even the outside seating is pretty cramped. I'm all in favour of outdoor eating, especially along the lines of what Queen Buzzo was sayin bout homemade munchies, vino and mates.

Yesterday I stopped into the Village Cafe in Rathmines for what was meant to be Sunday brunch cos I'd been meaning to check out it's quaint outdoor setup. Boy, does that place suck. A pisspoor selection of overpriced scones and muffins that taste like week-old Cusine de France and €1.50 for a glass of warm flippin milk. Lousy service too. Definitely not a Zeelander brunch recommendation.

Two places I've eaten recently ...

Jaipur (Georges Street) - the only Indian restaurant I know of that (a) doesn't have exactly the same menu as all the other ones and (b) doesn't make you feel as if you've stuffed yourself with two tons of oil and fat afterwards. Really good but a bit pricier than the average Indian ...

Havana (off Camden Street) -this is a tapas restaurant and it's called Havana which is in Cuba where they don't do tapas. Weird. This might explain why the food is shite i.e. the people who run it dont have a clue. I had some Tortilla Espanola which was okay .. and then some meat ball stuff which tasted of more or less nothing. The reason I had such boring food was because they only had boring food on the menu. Tapas, my hole. And its pretty expensive for what it is ...

Mackerel
This place is really good - there seems to be a lack of fish restaurants in the city which is sort of odd considering we're right on the coast but WHATEVAH. This place is in the old bewleys building on grafton st and it's run by the same people who own Eden. There's a cafe bore deli on the ground floor and mackerel is up on the 2nd floor. Lovely room, airy and not too big and there's a small outdoor terrace too. The food is just fish - the mains seem to change by the day, and I assume depend on what they get. I had a whole roasted breem with mango, coriander, chili and ginger which was yum yum and neil had a whole black sole with capers and parsley butter which was also yum yum. I'd definitely go again, it was like being on holidays. It's fairly expensive- mains are in and about 20-30, the majority of them would be up at the 30 mark.

Only small little things niggled like the service is fairly slow but at least they're not rushing you, we got a good two hours in there last night. Also the waitress corrected my pronunciation of muscadet - I was right, she was wrong wrong wrong. And the toilets are way down in the basement which is a pain in the hole.

a good cheapo place for lunch is "lemon" on south william street, they have great craps in there, i mean crepes. check em out.|..| .|..|

today was our third wedding anniversary so we went to Les Olives in Naas earlier this evening

I had a fishcake to start - not to filling and very flavoursome
and the wild sea bass with asparagus for the mains. Cooked to perfection. Possibly the nicest piece of fish ever.

Wendy went for fillet of rabbit as a starter and John Dory for main. Equally gorgeous.
We both had desserts, me a peach/caramel/ice-cream thing, she a strawberry custard compote thing.

I had a glass of wine, she drove. Bill was around €105.
Worth it.

very swish. can you loan me a tenner?

i heard good things about that place. but i also heard it was on the expensive side. sounds like the expense was worth it tho, do they still do shark and ostrich and all that other home and away cuisine?

went to acopulco? acapoco? acapolco? on georges street for a hot lunch yesterday. Everything is five bob. Had a chili beef wrap yoke with salad which was yum while my eating partner had nachos with an array of tasty dips, again for five euro.Good place for lunching.

Donkey OJ said:
very swish. can you loan me a tenner?

i heard good things about that place. but i also heard it was on the expensive side. sounds like the expense was worth it tho, do they still do shark and ostrich and all that other home and away cuisine?

yeah expensive but ideal for a special occasion. Remember reading the menu off the window one day and saw ostrich and kangaroo but not last night. Maybe they're not available because it's winter down under?

Lefty Frizzell said:
went to acopulco? acapoco? acapolco? on georges street for a hot lunch yesterday. Everything is five bob. Had a chili beef wrap yoke with salad which was yum while my eating partner had nachos with an array of tasty dips, again for five euro.Good place for lunching.

Wow, I didn't know they did this lunch deal. Must check that out. I've always liked their food, but sometimes find it pricey for what you get for dinner. Cheap lunch, though, yum yum.

Finally got to 101 Talbot last night. Really liked it, and a rare Dublin dining experience that did not find me leaving the restaurant feeling ripped off. Had a cashew-encrusted salmon with coriander stuff on it. Really yum, and such a big slab of food that I couldn't even finish it. And I almost always finish me dinner. Definitely worth it. I've spent way more money at restaurants that were nowhere near as good.

Plus, they didn't do that thing where they tell you you have to leave by a certain time for another seating, which I think is a load of bollocks, and seems to be the policy for restaurants who also overcharge for crummy food. Guess it's so you won't stop chowing for long enough to taste what you're eating.

i've heard the 101 is fantastic. I must try and get there soon. that cashew-encrusted salmon sounds delishus.

the market bar is also good for lunch. everything on the menu is available in small, 6euro, and large, 9.50e. It can be a little hit and miss, however you'll always get a seat and a smile.

THe 101, it's a sad story.

Went there for my 21st with my fambly and a couple of friends and it was magic. The food and service were superior.... no bullshit, no over enthusiastic tip soliciting behaviour, and really good house wine and vegetarian food selection.

Alas, it's actually become quite bog standard, the food, or maybe as I get older my standards change.... I dunno, but it's just been a let down for me ever since.

Congrats on your anniversary Paul.

O.k so I dont know the name of the palce..but I do know where it is.

It used to be called the stonewall cafe on wicklow st. Now it is an italian bistro.Went there last night and the food was lovely and so was the price. the New Zeland lady who served us could not have been nicer.

three courses €20 !!!
two courses €16 !!!

drinks are extra but the will give you a glass of any of the wines on list they have for €6 (ouch) so you dont have to have a full bottle if your not in the mood or have to drink house piss.

Nice one.

broken arm said:
so which are the best in dublin then so for an oul romantic dinner?

you comin over buster?

that place with no name opposite the market is spozed to be good. havent been in yet though.

Lefty Frizzell said:
you comin over buster?

that place with no name opposite the market is spozed to be good. havent been in yet though.

i've tried to get into that place a few times. they don't take bookings

You have to show up at about one minute past six. It fills up reeeaall quick, but is worth it.

By the by, in the italian place Condotti, near the hapenny bridge on the northside, the have an early bird that's pretty neat. €12.50 for two course, or €15 for three. It's a milano-type place.

SINNERS on Parliament street.

My two wives and I went there for dinner last week. I have NEVER been so stuffed in my life. It was amazing.

The restaurant is quite small but very roomy with comfy seats. The decor is inoffensive and the whole thing feels quite genuine. They have a belly dancer that comes out and wiggles about a bit for a few minutes every half hour or so.

The food.....ah, the food. Lebanese- can so often be hit and miss. The food was superb. In fact, the starter was so bloody good I could barely finish my main. We got vegetarian platters with all kinds of lovely nosh on them- my favourites were deep fried feta coated in sesame seeds, and vine leaves stuffed with unidentified tasty spicey crap. My wives are both meat eaters so I couldn't eat any of their mains. Mine was lovely. Something similar to pakoras in an indian. And the mains were all served with salad, rice or yummy spud yokes that don't look like chips so you feel less guilty.

All this being said, it was pricey enough at about forty quid each (we only had one bottle of wine between 3 of us), and the wine list is quite limited. Still buh, I'd highly recommend it.... good food, good service, nice atmosphere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back