Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

egg_ said:
Khyber, dunno the name of the street, it's the same street Musician Inc is on I think, there's always a guy with a funny hat standing outside (Indian ... atmosphere is shit but food is ace)

aye, food in there is great, ate in there with my ladyfriend about a year ago, was excellent, and affordable.

for indian takeaway on the southside, spice cottage in sallynoggin is excellent, everything i have got there has been great, APART from the peshwari nan, which most certainly alas was not.

sleur said:
Anybody been to the Transilvania Restaurant?

Yep. Went there on my stag night. It is serious "man's" food. There's lots of sausages and the like. And cabbage and things like that. Decor is super-kitsch with all sorts of vampire/Romanian folklore paraphenalia on the walls.

Halfway through our meal an unadvertised "band" turned up. Two Romanian blokes, both getting on in years, one very fat, one very skinny, both wearing bad suits and dark shades. Fat guy started playing a cheesy keyboard (complete with boom-tish-tish drum noises) and skinny guy starting crooning some sort of weird Sinatra-esque stuff in what I presume was Romanian. This more than made up for food that was, not great.

OK, I'm not one for recommending restaurants usually - coz I rarely see much to praise - so you can trust that my recommending this must be saying something.

Was just in an Indian/Pakistani restaurant in Clontarf this evening - called Kinara

www.kinara.ie

Fabaliss from the second we walked in. It's on the Clontarf Rd. Past the bus depot coming out of town, so it's not amid the other shops. It's surrounded by houses. On the corner with Kincora Ave.

Anyway. I had a cod starter - in small pieces, coated with a special flour and spices and deep fried. Served with a tangyish sauce. Twas wowsa. Other starters included potato cakes, monkfish, aubergine something or other, small lamb chops... But reports were that everything was really really good.

I'll not bore you with what we had but everything was top class - so so tasty. Beautifully cooked meat - for the chicken, lamb and beef - and the flavours were decently complicated. Not overly blended. And their nans were GORGEOUS. (My sister remarked how genuine the flavours were - she says this having lived in London for many's a year).

Service was lightning quick. Staff (all 3 of them) looked completely unharrassed and acted as such. Friendly but didn't say more or come near us more than was necessary.

Place is small but tables well-spaced.

Starters were €6-10 ish and weren't measly
Main courses were 15/16 with a only a few higher.

They do an earlybird Mon-Thur 6pm-7.30pm - 4 courses for €19.95. Lunch menus too.
You'll be rolling out of the place.

Just delicious. Such a pleasant experience. Really really highly recommended.

Sagaar on Harcourt St is lovely and if you get there before 7 you get 20% off.

Odessa's yummy too.

for indian grub, with previous peeps on Jaipur and Kinara - have yet to have a bad meal in either. for takeaways, the Bu Ali on Clanbrassil St used to be fine when i was a southsider but have been looking for a good recommendation since moving to the mean streets north of the liffey. india house in killester is the best so far but could do better

for italian nosh, the Il Fornio down in the IFSC is gear (they also have a place in kilbarrack) and the Cafe Bar Delis are reliable and cheap.

For quick afterwork grub, Gruel (Dame Street) is your only man even though it has become very very busy of late.

For treats, its the Mermaid or the Tea Rooms, esp if someone else is paying

out of dublin, someone recommended the hot plate in galway - that place is brilliant. also good is (was?) the green onion in limerick and cafe paradiso in cork (a vegetarian restauraunt which doesnt stink of patchuli oil). theres also a great place in cork called Isaacs which does brilliant food.

talbot 101 on talbot street is really nice - not amazing tho. for veggie food theres at least 3 starters + 3 or 4 mains. not outrageously priced which is good aswell. bit of a bang of benjy off their floorstaff tho. cornucopia, while they have become increasingly expensive over the years, cant be beat for guaranteed tummy filling veggie satisfaction while shopping for lentils and joss sticks in town of a saturday.
i've heard many good things about cafe irie. been meaning to try it forever.
milano's soho pizza i lust after. zero atmosphere in the place etc but the olive oil makes up for it.
the italian place on the quays the northside directly opposite millenium bridge does very very tasty gnocchi and you can get very full for about 12 smackers of a lunch time.

nlgbbbblth said:
ever eat in La Primevera or Les Olives in Naas?
any good?
La Primevera, yes years ago. thought it was average but i've heard moderately good things about it since. Les Olives no but its meant to be very nice but extremely expensive. they do stuff like shark meat and ostritch and stuff. delicacies which you pay for. special occasion kinda place. the storehouse in naas is ok. had 2 good meals and 1 really bad 1. not the best spot for veggies but a really nice building/atmosphere. and i've heard meat eaters rave about it. cunninghams in kildare comes highly recommended. very good food at reasonable prices. i've had 4 excellent meals and 1 really shit one (new years eve - pre cooked stodge - so i'll forgive them based on the 4 excellent meals). i think the quality of restaurant round here (kildare) isnt great. speshly for fussy veggies. you're not veggie nlgbbbblth? where have you had your tastiest meal round here?
have you been to pasta fresca in naas? man that place sucks. i havent been to the one in town for comparison but the naas one = very overpriced extremely average food with snotty floorstaff and an ignorant prick of a manager with a very loud english accent. "can we sit here?" we asked - "no we'd prefer if you sat here" said he - in a two thirds empty restaurant. fuck em.

Donkey OJ said:
i think the quality of restaurant round here (kildare) isnt great. speshly for fussy veggies. you're not veggie nlgbbbblth?

nah, meat eater me.

Donkey OJ said:
where have you had your tastiest meal round here?

Naas -
Osprey Hotel does pretty good stuff. Had Christmas party there and the food was amazing.
Harvest Kitchen deli on Sallins Road is quality. Farmers market is worth checking out on Sat too.

Newbridge -
Donatello's is really nice if a little pricey.
Weeping Thaiger is quite good too. There's one in Naas as well.
Asia Cafe chinese - very average. Jardin Royal has good takeaway, wife has eaten there and gives thumbs up.
Jaipore Indian takeaway is great, very tasty.

Not eaten in Kildare yet.

Overall quality is not as good as Dublin but a couple of decent places.

Donkey OJ said:
?
have you been to pasta fresca in naas? man that place sucks. i havent been to the one in town for comparison but the naas one = very overpriced extremely average food with snotty floorstaff and an ignorant prick of a manager with a very loud english accent. "can we sit here?" we asked - "no we'd prefer if you sat here" said he - in a two thirds empty restaurant. fuck em.

went there for lunch one day.
staff were not the friendliest and the food was mediocre

pricks

Don't go to Little Sicily on Parliament street. crazily overpriced and the waitress stood over us while we were looking at the menu, when we ordered orange juice to drink she popped next door to the spar to buy a carton of Sqeeze!right before our very eyes! wouldn't be at all surprised if our pizzas were a couple of gino ginellis from spar too. Really icky food and kinda stale cake. i won't be going back- unless I'm taking an enemy to lunch.

cpr said:
Don't go to Little Sicily on Parliament street. crazily overpriced and the waitress stood over us while we were looking at the menu, when we ordered orange juice to drink she popped next door to the spar to buy a carton of Sqeeze!right before our very eyes! wouldn't be at all surprised if our pizzas were a couple of gino ginellis from spar too. Really icky food and kinda stale cake. i won't be going back- unless I'm taking an enemy to lunch.

i agree, went there for a meal with a friend, and we were bowled over by the high prices and tiny portions.

Donkey OJ said:
cornucopia, while they have become increasingly expensive over the years, cant be beat for guaranteed tummy filling veggie satisfaction while shopping for lentils and joss sticks in town of a saturday.

Cornucopia should really get a bigger premises or something as it becoming increasingly unpleasant space-wise to eat there. Nice food, but hella claustrophobic.

helena said:
Nice food, but hella claustrophobic.
the flavour of the food originates in the armpits of its staff so the space restrictions contribute to the taste.

yeah. i've not gone in some days cos its so packed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Lau (Unplugged)
The Sugar Club
8 Leeson Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin 2, D02 ET97, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back