Restaurant Recommendations (1 Viewer)

Guilbauds was rated as one of Dublin's top restaurants but everyone I know who's been there (paid for by work as they'd never be able to afford it out of their own pockets) says that it's not worth it. Apparently the food is overrated and you're likely to get the same if not better meals at other places in Dublin.

guilbauds is amazing

Went to Howard's Way Rathgar on Saturday evening.

€25 early bird menu(all evening) with a free bottle of wine for 2 or more people.
Tuna salad starter and a Thai red curry for main, both very good. The free wine was piss but what do you want for nothing. Lemon and lime cheese cake for afters which was lovely. I'd go back

JoBurger review

Went in there last Friday night while on way to The Wedding Present. Busy.
Three serving staff went up and down constantly ignoring me for the first five minutes.
Guy emerged from the back of the premises and nodded at me. I tried to say 'any chance of a table for one' but he had turned his head to talk to someone else.

The three staff continued to bustle around me, The Invisible Man.

Walked out after a few more minutes of this.

Note to staff and management: Go fuck yourselves.

JoBurger review...

Interesting, I went in there a few weeks ago, it was quiet enough, about 10 other people in there, found the service very good.

The food, on the other hand... I ordered the lamb burger with Harissa, Mint stuff and rocket. There was more sauce than actual burger. A huge bun, smothered in sauce and somewhere in the middle a tiny ball of minced lamb which probably contained as much meat as a mcdonald's hamburger - although not as flat so not as well distributed through the bun.

If I was going to spend that money on a burger again I'd sooner go to Eddie Rockets.

I went to les Freres Jacques last night. Sat upstairs in a lovely room with great atmosphere. Service was terrific. Had Guinea Fowl salad; venison; almond pastry thing. €36 each for the table d'haute menu, which was great value for a meal of such quality (had wine for €25 - plenty of wines between €22 and €25). They also have a good value lunch menu. Up there with Brownes and Le Geueleton as the best restaurants in the league behind the michelin star places, in my opinion. Could be my new favourite restaurant.

I went to les Freres Jacques last night. Sat upstairs in a lovely room with great atmosphere. Service was terrific. Had Guinea Fowl salad; venison; almond pastry thing. €36 each for the table d'haute menu, which was great value for a meal of such quality (had wine for €25 - plenty of wines between €22 and €25). They also have a good value lunch menu. Up there with Brownes and Le Geueleton as the best restaurants in the league behind the michelin star places, in my opinion. Could be my new favourite restaurant.

you live such a good life ro.

Interesting, I went in there a few weeks ago, it was quiet enough, about 10 other people in there, found the service very good.

The food, on the other hand... I ordered the lamb burger with Harissa, Mint stuff and rocket. There was more sauce than actual burger. A huge bun, smothered in sauce and somewhere in the middle a tiny ball of minced lamb which probably contained as much meat as a mcdonald's hamburger - although not as flat so not as well distributed through the bun.

If I was going to spend that money on a burger again I'd sooner go to Eddie Rockets.

A comment along the lines
'Be with you in a second'
or
'Are you being looked after?'

is all I wanted.

I ended up going to Bobo's again. Pretty good. Have you eaten there?

A comment along the lines
'Be with you in a second'
or
'Are you being looked after?'

is all I wanted.

I ended up going to Bobo's again. Pretty good. Have you eaten there?

i've found bobo's pretty disappointing overall - nice idea, nice place, but everytime i've gone my burger has been mediocre/overdone and my chips have been greasy. it feels like it should be a lot better than it actually is.

i actually haven't had a bad experience in jo'burger myself, including good sizeable burgers - the one time i had the lamb burger it was vast. maybe that was the honeymoon "we're a new place trying to win the customers" period and they're now shrinking the burgers?

i've found bobo's pretty disappointing overall - nice idea, nice place, but everytime i've gone my burger has been mediocre/overdone and my chips have been greasy. it feels like it should be a lot better than it actually is.

i actually haven't had a bad experience in jo'burger myself, including good sizeable burgers - the one time i had the lamb burger it was vast. maybe that was the honeymoon "we're a new place trying to win the customers" period and they're now shrinking the burgers?

Hmm, maybe I won't write it off just yet. I was thinking that the miniscule burger probably had something to do with using cheap, very fatty lamb mince, which caused a lot of shrinkage. It just looked ridiculous in the huge bun.

THE HOP HOUSE ON PARNELL STREEEEEEET

by fuck it's good. korapanese* (korean/japanese) food.

im pretty sure thay have sake too. anyway i had this amazing prawn/veggies/rice thing. their kimchi is excellent too.

really nice staff - rather amused when i slurred some rudimentary korean at them.

*i think i'm going to have this patented

i was in there last week, i had no idea what anything on the menu was so they gave me the picture book menu which wasnt really any more help. eventually i spotted something with mackerel on the menu so i got that. the fish itself was delish, the rice and veg and stuff wasnt especially exciting or whatever. im not mad about prawns and shellfish so found the menu a bit limited there, its nearly all prawns and sushi. Wageslave came in then and we had a pint so that was cool and then i forgot to pay for my dinner and when i went back to pay they had forgotten i had dinner.

im pretty sure thay have sake too. anyway i had this amazing prawn/veggies/rice thing. their kimchi is excellent too.

really nice staff - rather amused when i slurred some rudimentary korean at them.

I like the way you can call the waiter/ress by pressing a button your table :)

There's another Korean place across the street (in that row of Chinese/Korean restaurants) that does two courses for 8 euro at lunch time. I generally get the spring rolls and a big bowl of soup noodles with veggies. Nutricious and warming in this winter weather and only slightly more expensive than a Spar roll and a packet of crisps. Again the staff are really friendly.

I like the way you can call the waiter/ress by pressing a button your table :)

There's another Korean place across the street (in that row of Chinese/Korean restaurants) that does two courses for 8 euro at lunch time. I generally get the spring rolls and a big bowl of soup noodles with veggies. Nutricious and warming in this winter weather and only slightly more expensive than a Spar roll and a packet of crisps. Again the staff are really friendly.

button for the staff? i didnt know about that!!! 2 courses for e8 aint bad at all. ill have to try there next time.

i was in there last week, i had no idea what anything on the menu was so they gave me the picture book menu which wasnt really any more help. eventually i spotted something with mackerel on the menu so i got that. the fish itself was delish, the rice and veg and stuff wasnt especially exciting or whatever. im not mad about prawns and shellfish so found the menu a bit limited there, its nearly all prawns and sushi. Wageslave came in then and we had a pint so that was cool and then i forgot to pay for my dinner and when i went back to pay they had forgotten i had dinner.

i was so almost going to have the mackerel!!!

did you love the way half the stuff is 'crazy' this and 'crazy' that. they also love their flying fish roe in there too :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back