Renting a car in USA (1 Viewer)

RSJ

Website
www.gravelbox.net
Anyone ever rent a car in the US? Anything a person should look out for, hidden charges and that? Any reccomendations on which crowd to go for? Myself and a mate trying to estimate costs for a driving holiday in the US.

This could be tricky for you, as you are under 25, which is always more expensive. Some companies won't rent to you at all without one of the drivers being at least 25.

Those who will may charge you a fucking ridiculous amount of money if you don't have your own insurance. Check with the AA about this, though. They might be able to help you out. Auto insurance works vastly differently in the US.

I tried to rent a car a couple of years ago, and even though I was over 25, my lack of insurance (in my name) meant that the car was going to cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. In the end, I borrowed my mother's car, and she took the rental, as it was dirt cheap for her, as she could use her own insurance.

Anyway, I'm sure people on here have found ways around that, but that's just a problem you're likely to come up against.

Possibly booking the whole thing as a fly/drive holiday, through a company based here or in the UK? They can get you good deals, or so I've heard. I imagine it's best sorted out on this side of the Atlantic, by people who know how to get around the US regulations, rather than take your chances with someone over there.

yeah be careful, it's not mandatory to have insurance in a car in the USA.
So make sure whatever you rent includes insurance. otherwise if there's an accident you'll have to pay for EVERYTHING.

Yeah, i was doing a little pricing and for a whopper SUV for two weeks it was about e1700 kinda direction. Plans are very loose still, but it seems we'll be renting at least three cars, one to drive LA to texas, another for mineapolis to chicago, and finally montreal to new york. Never knew you could get packages, will have to go look that up now too. Thanks jane :)

ReadySteadyJedi said:
Yeah, i was doing a little pricing and for a whopper SUV for two weeks it was about e1700 kinda direction. Plans are very loose still, but it seems we'll be renting at least three cars, one to drive LA to texas, another for mineapolis to chicago, and finally montreal to new york. Never knew you could get packages, will have to go look that up now too. Thanks jane :)

Yeah, check out packages and also check with the AA. Also, check out the American Automobile Association. You might be able to join or something, and avail of car rental deals:
http://ww2.aaa.com/AAA_Travel/CarRental/car_rental.htm

Don't get an SUV. Standard cars tend to be pretty roomy on their own, and the prices for petrol (though always cheaper than here) mean that an SUV would just guzzle it all up every five minutes. Go for a station wagon or a large sedan. Sometimes they upgrade you without any extra cost.

But definitely check out fly/drive deals. I know some folks who did that from the UK, and I know neither of them owned cars in England.

Insurance isn't mandatory, but I think it is when you rent a car. Don't take your chances, though. And go for the most comprehensive plan you can get. It's worth it.

You do NOT want to crash your car in the middle of redneck country and have to deal with cash. Believe me. It's not good. I was victim of a hit and run in Mississippi (except I RAN VERY FAST and caught the bastard), who was driving a truck with some dodgy shit going on with registration, etc. The police pretty much chased me out of town, and then I couldn't track down any of the guy's info. Thank god the insurance company sorted it out for me. It made an already insane situation slightly less difficult.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Darsombra (Kosmische Drone Prog)(US)
Anseo
18 Camden Street Lower, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Gig For Gaza w/ ØXN, Junior Brother, Pretty Happy & Mohammad Syfkhan
Vicar Street
58-59 Thomas St, The Liberties, Dublin 8, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back