not having kids (2 Viewers)

As I understand it, a lot of women get an urge to procreate. I don't have this urge, it's really that simple.

Which is perfectly acceptable.

I would like to have a child (or children) but I have to keep in mind that it may not be possible for me, for whatever reasons.

I think that when it comes to having children "because I'm physically capable of it" isn't a good enough reason.

aye, i'm in my thirties and don't want kids either and it seems increasingly to really bother people - particularly those in my place of work, and some of my old school friends [who aren't all Irish, female and catholic I might add for the record] . maybe it's because i don't offer much in the way of a sound bite rationale [my reasons being vast and varied and ultimately personal]. but it does bug me why people think i need to account for this decision with all in sundry who ask me. mostly i think people are just curious to know. but thier curiousity can be really stupidly insensitive in some cases.

kids are so 2007, everyone wants a chinchilla in 2008.

chinchilla_picture.jpg

it does bug me why people think i need to account for this decision with all in sundry who ask me.

I know, it's bizzare, the reactions to it. I don't have a car - that's a choice I've made but I don't get particularly emotional reactions to not having a car. Not having children, and not having the desire to have children provokes some really odd responses from the perplexed to the downright hostile. I don't get it.

i admit, i have felt family pressure to produce a legitimate male heir, not least for him to be able to inherit the dynasty's vast wealth, the colossal tracts of land in brazil and new zealand, the crown of madagascar (that old trinket!) and the various michaelangelos and faberge eggs lying around the old house. mater and pater must simply realise, though, that my aim to be the first transantarctic tobogganist must have priority over these trifling matters.

Not having children, and not having the desire to have children provokes some really odd responses from the perplexed to the downright hostile. I don't get it.
Many people here's music collections would provoke a similar response. Remember in school - "what music do you like?" "Emmm, the pixies?" "Ha! Never heard of them! The Pixies You fucking bender"

People are strange

To those who are perplexed, I think it's kind of like when you've an unemployed friend who is quite happy to be unemployed or doing odd jobs or whatever. Every so often you might feel the temptation to send him job offers or ask him if he has been looking for work lately. He gets irritated by this, as if you're pressurising him. Which of course you are--and he is correct to be irritated. For this reason, it's something I don't do; nor do I ask people when they're having kids. But it's not that perplexing, really, is it? I'd say most people are just concerned, or interested, or just want you to be happy. If they are hostile, however, that's not cool.

Many people here's music collections would provoke a similar response. Remember in school - "what music do you like?" "Emmm, the pixies?" "Ha! Never heard of them! The Pixies You fucking bender"

People are strange

when it's adults it's a stigma.

What say ye Thumped women who don't want them? What's your experience? I know I get a tiny bit annoyed when people won't drop the subject of my biological clock, but is it even more annoying for you?

Vaguely annoying. Happening a lot after recently reaching a landmark anniversary with the youngfella.

when it's adults it's a stigma.

Ah I dunno, it's only a stigma if you attach that to it yourself. And if you counter that by saying "a stigma is socially defined, and we're all socially connected", I say....fair enough....but to be honest people with kids have a miserable time, so the stigma is not really a big deal in comparison. Anyway they're probably just a little bit envious of your freewheeling, non-parenting lifestyle, so let them stigmatise away.

eh... being a communist in middle america in the fifties was a stigma

not wanting kids in modern day Ireland isn't really

maybe all the people who don't want kids are just beating themselves up over it?

well we have two women that say people have been insensetive and hostile. so unless they are lying maybe irish people are assholes and anachronisms, as vinnie pointed out.

Unsure if there is a stigma, if anything, it might be the opposite, there may be more of a stigma associated with having kids at a young age..a sort of 'you've nailed yerself to the mast now' kind of stigma. Like what Eddie Hobbes was spouting off about in a recent interview.

Of course people are always imagining that others have problems with their lifestyles, paranoia curses many people, and they perceive that people actually give a fuck about whether they've had kids or whatever, when in reality they don't give a flying fuck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back