No Country For Old Men (2 Viewers)

I thought it was amazing, especially considering that it was the Coen brothers doing a film of a Cormac McCarthy novel. You'd think that they have a very different aesthetic, but actually they managed to completely do him justice and in fact gave the story their own particular treatment without pissing on it.

Yeah, even though they didn't seem to change one single line from the book (did they?), they still somehow managed to make it their own while still paying the utmost respect to the original text.

There was even touches of previous Coen brothers characters in these characters (Tommy Lee Jones' character a touch like Frances McDormand's character in Fargo....Bardem's character like a cross between Peter Stormare's character in Fargo and the Lennie Smalls character in Raising Arizona.... Brolin's character like most Coen protagonists - in a situation beyond his means)

Surprised they didn't include one of the final scenes where Bell goes and meets the shirt-selling kid, but it still worked beautifully without it.

Amazing film.

Yeah, even though they didn't seem to change one single line from the book (did they?)

The only thing that stuck out for me regarding changes in dialogue was for some reason Tommy Lee Jones's uncle changed the date the relative of theirs died - 1898 to 1908 (I think). No idea why. Not being a nitpicker but it stuck out for me.
Other than that, the dialogue (which was fantastic in the book) stays faithful as far as I could tell.

A few changes in plot points but nothing distracting.

I loved every minute of it.

i've not read this thread as i wanted to see the film with an open mind so here goes....I liked it! it was reminiscent of blood simple. very tense, good cinematography, quite a blackly humorous script, especially the exchanges between tommy lee jones and his deputy. and it was cool to see maurice minnefield as TLJ's dad! only thing was it seemed to be a bit imbalanced or wrap itself up a little too quickly or inconclusively? and i didn't recognise that scottish wan till the credits rolled! good texas accent!

now i'm gonna go read this thread...

Spoiler!!!!!!

The gas station scene almost made me cry. In my head I was screaming, NO NO NO! I also liked how the Scottish girl stayed strong, didn't get weepy and how they didn't even feel the need to show the deaths of main characters. Very well done. I was captivated.

Ok
so
205767.jpg

:heart::heart:

Kelly McDonald. Yeah I thought she was brilliant-especially in her final scene when she shows up Anton Chugure's arbitrary nihilism for what it is. So powerful.

The scene in the gas station is a master-class in building-up tension via dialogue (the other really tense scene in the hotel when Brolin is waiting with the shotgun relies on too many cliches-it works-but we've been here before). That guy playing opposite Bardem was perfect. Where do the Coens dig up these character actors?

Film of the year.

Kelly McDonald. Yeah I thought she was brilliant-especially in her final scene when she shows up Anton Chugure's arbitrary nihilism for what it is. So powerful.

The scene in the gas station is a master-class in building-up tension via dialogue (the other really tense scene in the hotel when Brolin is waiting with the shotgun relies on too many cliches-it works-but we've been here before). That guy playing opposite Bardem was perfect. Where do the Coens dig up these character actors?

Film of the year.

I liked the way that the one person in the film who was a match for Bardem was the woman in the reception of the trailer park.

I liked the way that the one person in the film who was a match for Bardem was the woman in the reception of the trailer park.

She was browners, and was beginning to sense it, except that Chigurh copped someone else was in the office when they flushed the jacks.
Fate/chance intervening to save her, if you want to put it in context with the larger themes of the movie.

Film of the year.

There you go again.

I was with you until i saw There Will Be Blood.

Good films are getting better. And Bad films are getting worse. I'm probably just getting more emtional as i get older.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back