new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (3 Viewers)

I know there's been a high turnover in the past few seasons but are there enough ex-pool managers still alive to do an inside job at all the clubs currently above yez in the table?
Steve Clarke is up to something at Brom. Deffo. His success is a indictment of Kenny.

Also, Houllier did his best to destroy Villa. Now, if we can get Souness in at Spurs, we're laughing. Ex player and all that.

I know you'd probably like to blot out those seasons in the early 90's but he did win you the FA cup.

Yeah, not a bad return for managing the most successful (at that point) club in the history of English football. Souness was a legendary player, one of the best ever, he'd shit in Roy Keane's shoes, but he tried too much to soon at LFC. Wanted to change it all over night. He made a bit of a Paul Stewart of the whole thing.

Come on! it was the nineties. Even Everton we're having a go with the FA cup. Big swing.

he may have done, which doesn't mean the job itself was impossible.

Not at all, It has been done, but not without it's casualties. Milan are a pretty good example, they still haven't managed to replace their legends and probably never will but they've managed to win trophies in the process but without really looking like the side they once were.

The next one to go is probably United. When Fergie goes Giggs and Scholes will too, Giggs you can replace but Scholes ? Can't see it still haven't replaced Keane.

After that it'll be Barcelona's turn but to be fair they just run them off a production line at that club so they'll probably just release Xavi and Ineasta V 2.0 and it'll be grand sure.

Not at all, It has been done, but not without it's casualties. Milan are a pretty good example, they still haven't managed to replace their legends and probably never will but they've managed to win trophies in the process but without really looking like the side they once were.

The next one to go is probably United. When Fergie goes Giggs and Scholes will too, Giggs you can replace but Scholes ? Can't see it still haven't replaced Keane.

After that it'll be Barcelona's turn but to be fair they just run them off a production line at that club so they'll probably just release Xavi and Ineasta V 2.0 and it'll be grand sure.
WHen the premiership came along, the whole game done changed, yo. United were all over that shit from the off. There was a huge shift in all football. United were just there at the time, they suddenly had the best squad, they were the poster boys of teh new game and they exploited that mercilessly. Liverpool were too slow to react. For other teams it's different. It's hard to imagine, with the tv revenue worked out the way it is, that Barca would ever slip away from the top two.

great teams come and go. United's trick has always been to win stuff, even when they're not great.

WHen the premiership came along, the whole game done changed, yo. United were all over that shit from the off. There was a huge shift in all football. United were just there at the time, they suddenly had the best squad, they were the poster boys of teh new game and they exploited that mercilessly. Liverpool were too slow to react. For other teams it's different. It's hard to imagine, with the tv revenue worked out the way it is, that Barca would ever slip away from the top two.

great teams come and go. United's trick has always been to win stuff, even when they're not great.

Yeah agreed, Everton collapsed the last time football changed, 1985 when the ban came in. The next change has to be some form of financial fair play if it's not the PL could be a case of last club left standing and before you say that's not going to happen take a look at Italy AC and Inter are fucking broke Juve had to sell up and move to a more comfortable stadium about the size of Goodison and Eddison Cavani is the last "big" name in the league, 10 years ago that was an impossibility. It'd be great if a German side won the CL this year to show it can be done without mortgaging the future of the club.

Juve had to sell up and move to a more comfortable stadium about the size of Goodison

Juve were just tenants in the Stadio Delle Alpi and they were hardly ever able to fill it, they've built their own stadium now and matchday revenues are much increased.

United's floatation came at a great time for them, coincided with the start of the PL and both those factors had a big impact on their success in recent decades.

Juve were just tenants in the Stadio Delle Alpi and they were hardly ever able to fill it, they've built their own stadium now and matchday revenues are much increased.

United's floatation came at a great time for them, coincided with the start of the PL and both those factors had a big impact on their success in recent decades.

Ah now hang on what I said was that it would be unthinkable 10 years ago that Juve would have to move. I think it was the right move and fair play to them.

actually, i think that's the opposite. They always wanted to move out of the stadio della alpi. They've done it now, when they're no where near as big as they were,, in terms of revenue. It's gas, really. West Ham want to do the opposite. Are they really gonna get 60,000 people in that massive bowl every week? Really? Maybe when Chelsea are in town, but it's gonna be a soulless cavern when Wigan turn up. Juve had the right idea. Now they have a home, that's totally there's (they shared with Torino) and it's tight and has a real atmosphere, and they went through a season unbeaten. Now they're solid. SUrely there's a lesson in this, Hammers?

I'm glad Liverpool are gonna stay at Anfield. Arsenal can fill the emerites, but it has no atmos at all. Other teams don't fear going there, it offers Arse nothing. There's very few teams that will fill a massive stadium week in week out for the next 30-40 years. Especially with the prices they charge in England. They have big stadia in Germany, but the prices are affordable, and their football is good. And West Ham reckon, with a 60k seat arena, the revenue will go through the roof and the next step is buying Zlatan. Really?

actually, i think that's the opposite. They always wanted to move out of the stadio della alpi. They've done it now, when they're no where near as big as they were,, in terms of revenue. It's gas, really. West Ham want to do the opposite. Are they really gonna get 60,000 people in that massive bowl every week? Really? Maybe when Chelsea are in town, but it's gonna be a soulless cavern when Wigan turn up. Juve had the right idea. Now they have a home, that's totally there's (they shared with Torino) and it's tight and has a real atmosphere, and they went through a season unbeaten. Now they're solid. SUrely there's a lesson in this, Hammers?

I'm glad Liverpool are gonna stay at Anfield. Arsenal can fill the emerites, but it has no atmos at all. Other teams don't fear going there, it offers Arse nothing. There's very few teams that will fill a massive stadium week in week out for the next 30-40 years. Especially with the prices they charge in England. They have big stadia in Germany, but the prices are affordable, and their football is good. And West Ham reckon, with a 60k seat arena, the revenue will go through the roof and the next step is buying Zlatan. Really?

Yeah I see your point but what I'm saying is that about 10 or more acurately 15 or so years ago when they had Zidane, Davids, Deschamps, Del Piero, Inzhagi, Fonseca, etc if Juve had moved then it would have been to their own 60,000 seater stadium. Imagine that that was only one team with those players in it ? The whole league doesn't have players of that calibre now.

West Ham are probably making a huge mistake alright but I'm all for it because it should, in theory, be easy to get a ticket when Everton come down. In fact, If QPR stay up and Milwall and Palace get promoted I might see Everton 8 times next season without having to spend money travelling to Liverpool.

Probably wouldn't bother with the Emirates though, I don't have a spare £100 just lying around. We never fucking win there anyway.

Probably wouldn't bother with the Emirates though, I don't have a spare £100 just lying around. We never fucking win there anyway.
That day is closer than you think, i reckon.

Sorry, my point was rambling and incoherent, trying to do five different things at once. Italy is fucked, on many levels, but there is a model out there that works. Come on Germany.

That day is closer than you think, i reckon.

Sorry, my point was rambling and incoherent, trying to do five different things at once. Italy is fucked, on many levels, but there is a model out there that works. Come on Germany.

England is Italy in waiting. Germany may well be the only league left worth playing in in 10 years.

The great thing about Germany is that when you look at the last 20 years there's been 7 different winners, 2 years ago 4 clubs could have won it heading into the last 2 matches. It's the most competitive league in europe really. Though Bayern do dominate it to be fair.

The premier league has been won by 6 different clubs sure, but Blackburn, City and Chelski essentially bought the fucking thing.

La liga and Serie A have had 5 a piece.

It's an odd thing when you look at it for example Spain have had the most CL wins (13) but only 2 clubs have actually won it, England have had 5, and Italy and Germany have 3 each.

England is Italy in waiting. Germany may well be the only league left worth playing in in 10 years.

The great thing about Germany is that when you look at the last 20 years there's been 7 different winners, 2 years ago 4 clubs could have won it heading into the last 2 matches. It's the most competitive league in europe really. Though Bayern do dominate it to be fair.

The premier league has been won by 6 different clubs sure, but Blackburn, City and Chelski essentially bought the fucking thing.

La liga and Serie A have had 5 a piece.

It's an odd thing when you look at it for example Spain have had the most CL wins (13) but only 2 clubs have actually won it, England have had 5, and Italy and Germany have 3 each.
not forgetting on an international level.... they're producing top young players right now. I think they'd have been better in the last two international tournaments if they had a different manager. Jogi just doesn't have it, i reckon.

not forgetting on an international level.... they're producing top young players right now. I think they'd have been better in the last two international tournaments if they had a different manager. Jogi just doesn't have it, i reckon.

The guy from Dortmund is probably earmarked for the top job there. It's such a great footballing culture (apart from the neo nazi element of course) they actually respect their manager and as such top managers actually want the job. Jogi has probably had his day alright. surprised Beckenbauer hasn't come back for another stint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back