new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (2 Viewers)

Wigan are a real bogey team these days, although it wouldn't be far from the truth to suggest they're ALL bogey teams these days. I think beating them would be a really good result. Drawing wouldn't be remotely surprising, just disappointing. I'm still enjoying this "transition" a lot more than Roy's, or Kenny's or indeed Rafa's. Or Ged's. It looks that once the teething period is over, and some new (better) footballers come in, the system will be in place to actually be pretty good. But we could really do with some results and momentum.

I think rodgers is doing very well to have put together a totally different shape and style of team in a very short period of time. and I think he's in a very strong position because now everyone, literally everyone watching closely, is of the view that they only need a second genuinely class forward to become a very good side. with rafa's team, that was a similar problem which torres solved, but even then there was always a feeling that the tightly regimented roles rafa operated made it harder to get the right fit players. Did Rafa ever really get a good left sided attacker? Riera was the best we had, otherwise it was Aurelio being pushed up. And while everyone loved Dirk, imagine Rafa had signed Silva for the right when he tried.

I think rodgers is doing very well to have put together a totally different shape and style of team in a very short period of time. and I think he's in a very strong position because now everyone, literally everyone watching closely, is of the view that they only need a second genuinely class forward to become a very good side. with rafa's team, that was a similar problem which torres solved, but even then there was always a feeling that the tightly regimented roles rafa operated made it harder to get the right fit players. Did Rafa ever really get a good left sided attacker? Riera was the best we had, otherwise it was Aurelio being pushed up. And while everyone loved Dirk, imagine Rafa had signed Silva for the right when he tried.
Rafa's biggest problem was always his relationships with the players. Riera was decent, if a little slow, then rafa canned him for...why? SOld him at a loss, then complains he has no money. Mark Gonzalez could have been a decent player...who knows?He fell out with Benayoun as well. Like Houllier before him, he sort of distrusted flair players. Which is gas, cos he bought Luis Garcia. He indulged Gerrard as his number 10, but teh rest of the team was filled with lads who knew where to be. Your Kuyts, for example. he just happened to have teh two best holding midfielders available at the time. Masch and Alonso.

I think with rodgers he needs more than a striker, he needs options. Much as Raheem and Suso are exciting and it's great to finally see some academy talent getting a go, they're both teenagers and there's a real chance of burnout, or form dipping, and then there's the whole second season dip. Personally i think we need a new masch. Not lucas, who does a different role, but someone who can chase and break up and pass it short to allen or lucas. And gerrard should be much further up the pitch. If we had a shielding midfielder we wouldn't be constantly exposed on the break every time there's a loose pass. The distance between midfielders and defence leave loads of space, especially with the full backs bombing on.

I suppose he has Lucas earmarked for that role. When he's back, Allen would be able to do his thing, cos at the moment he's trying to do both, and he's not that kinda player, it seems. I think Henderson could even do it cos he has a decent engine. Beyond that, let;'s say for arguement sake LFC do get in a class striker, say... Huntelaar (won't happen, just an example) where does Suarez play? For me, it's the lads breaking from midfield into the box who need to get their shooting boots on. Or the wingers. Still, the sense that there's finally A PLAN is deadly. They just need to implement it better.

I quite enjoyed it on Saturday. It was a good game with two very carefully arranged teams trying to out position one another in the first half. It was great to see, again, that Rodgers can and will make big decisions even in the first half to change the team and try something different and in this instance, finally!, it was a thumping success. I suppose the question is why he didn't set up like that to start with, but I suspect Wigan came out slightly differently to how he'd anticipated it. with the change to a tighter three man midfield and by pushing Enrique and Sterling further up to join the attack, wigan were basically steamrollered in the first 20m of the second half. Suarez was pretty much unplayable. Sterling has to be signed up asap, he is brilliant. finally there was some very good 'resting in possession' in the final 10 minutes. they turned off the gas and just let Wigan ping it around far from danger. I do rate Wigan, they won't finish down in 17th. in fact, if they beat reading this week I might be winning £240 in a pools ring.

I quite enjoyed it on Saturday. It was a good game with two very carefully arranged teams trying to out position one another in the first half. It was great to see, again, that Rodgers can and will make big decisions even in the first half to change the team and try something different and in this instance, finally!, it was a thumping success. I suppose the question is why he didn't set up like that to start with, but I suspect Wigan came out slightly differently to how he'd anticipated it. with the change to a tighter three man midfield and by pushing Enrique and Sterling further up to join the attack, wigan were basically steamrollered in the first 20m of the second half. Suarez was pretty much unplayable. Sterling has to be signed up asap, he is brilliant. finally there was some very good 'resting in possession' in the final 10 minutes. they turned off the gas and just let Wigan ping it around far from danger. I do rate Wigan, they won't finish down in 17th. in fact, if they beat reading this week I might be winning £240 in a pools ring.

Might hold off on signing Sterling until this police investigation is concluded!

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/nov/20/raheem-sterling-questioned-assault-woman-liverpool

I wouldn't

I was being flippant but I always get a little uneasy when I hear of young players getting involved in nightclub brawls and that type of shit. He seems like a clean cut youngster but you can never know for sure what a guy will be like when his head is full of success.

While I agree with the point about success, I think you're falling into the normal media attitude of handwringing and moralising about footballers as though they are automatically expected to all be clean cut youngsters. Sterling is clearly not that. The fact is that he's a young immigrant kid from a rough part of north london who had to be sent to a special school for kids with behavioural problems at the age of ten (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20323590). That is a really hard place to come from.

Young men like this, and I have met a lot of young men like this in the last 4 years through my job, unfortunately have a tendency to get in trouble for doing very stupid things, and that's regardless of whether or not they are professional footballers. I'm not stereotyping here, and I'm not even taking a view on whether or not he did anything on Friday night, but the best way for Raheem Sterling to avoid getting fucked up in the head is for him not to be made subject to the moral condemnation of football fans and journalists; to take whatever legal punishment is given if he committed a crime, to engage with whatever courses or probation or whatever is required, and above all to be kept on track by those with a duty of care towards his development (ie LFC and his mother). He is still a child and has a right to be treated as one in this regard.

aside from all that, he is currently looking like the best English footballer to play for Liverpool since Gerrard broke through. sign him up!

Doesn't he have 3 kids?
by 3 different ladies too, i hear (using the word "women" mightn't be entirely appropriate here). Also, as a 17 year old, he shouldn't be in a fucking nightclub. Tut tut.

It's a difficult age, ragin hormones AND playing for england.

by 3 different ladies too, i hear (using the word "women" mightn't be entirely appropriate here). Also, as a 17 year old, he shouldn't be in a fucking nightclub. Tut tut.

It's a difficult age, ragin hormones AND playing for england.

One of the mothers is 24 according to one thing I read.

While I agree with the point about success, I think you're falling into the normal media attitude of handwringing and moralising about footballers as though they are automatically expected to all be clean cut youngsters. Sterling is clearly not that. The fact is that he's a young immigrant kid from a rough part of north london who had to be sent to a special school for kids with behavioural problems at the age of ten (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20323590). That is a really hard place to come from.

Young men like this, and I have met a lot of young men like this in the last 4 years through my job, unfortunately have a tendency to get in trouble for doing very stupid things, and that's regardless of whether or not they are professional footballers. I'm not stereotyping here, and I'm not even taking a view on whether or not he did anything on Friday night, but the best way for Raheem Sterling to avoid getting fucked up in the head is for him not to be made subject to the moral condemnation of football fans and journalists; to take whatever legal punishment is given if he committed a crime, to engage with whatever courses or probation or whatever is required, and above all to be kept on track by those with a duty of care towards his development (ie LFC and his mother). He is still a child and has a right to be treated as one in this regard.

aside from all that, he is currently looking like the best English footballer to play for Liverpool since Gerrard broke through. sign him up!
It's true. Lots of dudes can turn around some early naughtiness, inside and outside of football. We don't want Raheem to end up like Ravel Morrison, once regarded as the brightest light in the Man U youth set up. Also, it's very different for kids these days. They get agents and boot deals at young ages, they earn a lorra wanga pretty early on in their careers, and that can go either way. Mark Kennedy anyone? Apparently the dosh he got when he moved to liverpool at 19 did for him. Ultimately you'll make it if you really, really want to. He has to be focused and he has to be nurtured. And he has to cop on. Even Steven Captain My Captain Gerrard can get into bovver down the disco. Probably best to avoid the disco.

yes good question, what could be so attractive about gifted young footballer playing in front of 45,000 people each week and being broadcast to millions around the world as he negotiates a salary increase of anything up to £40,000 - £50,000 per week? is it his cheeky grin?

yes good question, what could be so attractive about gifted young footballer playing in front of 45,000 people each week and being broadcast to millions around the world as he negotiates a salary increase of anything up to £40,000 - £50,000 per week? is it his cheeky grin?

Was a nothing youth player that only nerds who pay attention to yourth prospect knew about when he knocked those lassies up though.

perhaps my understanding of gestation is all outta whack, but....he's been a first team player for 3 months.... and already has at least 2 children who are out of the womb. I put it to you that he may actually have done some impregnation BEFORE he was a millionaire. And believe me, telling the birds that you're GONNA be a millionaire in the near future doesn't work. Take from one who knows.

Even if you're not a first team player and are a youth, if you're a huge prospect you're a big deal. People know your name. You're the star of your group of friends. This is the kind of status that young women pick up on. Any women really.
Also, it's not like it's hard to get laid these days when you're a teen anyway, and is anyone accusing these birds of being supermodels?

Also, let's not rule out a possible hefty langer on him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back