new liverpool thread - everyone loves them (3 Viewers)

i hear ya hector. but. the 5 months he had with the squad on the short term contract the season before is difficult to forget. obviously there were countless fuck ups this season but I reckon they're better off leaving him on rather than bringing in a new face, changing shit around once again. with no major injuries/suspensions during the jan-may 2011 phase the team had the best(if not close to the best) points haul during those four months. that martinez link is sickening. he'll prob end up at villa anyway but his team played fucking shit football for 7 months of the year. sure they had an unbelievable run of results towards the end but id definitely risk kenny for another year over martinez

the signings from last summer can only improve (surely). defo henderson anyway. he has looked great during patches of the season but completely lost too often in games as well. maybe improve is the wrong word. they're not gonna be bricking it as much at the thought of playing for what is perceived as a huge club. Think Carroll will have a much better season if, like you said hector, kenny actually plays him regularly. adam and downing. not expecting anything more from them. average shlock. in one case, extremely over-priced average shlock.

in short, id rather see kenny work with this shower for longer rather than another new manager trying to start from scratch again

I reckon Liverpool need a Ferguson-type manager. It's 22 years since they won the league.
Dalglish is the past - and he's too old. They'll be mid-table for a few seasons but I'm sure they'll be back relatively soon. Just cut the ties with the past - remember the late 70's.
Dalglish never took a club from mid-table to the top. He's not the man to do it. There's very few who can, but Liverpool are one of the great clubs so I'm sure some great manager would be up for it.

The hardest thing to take is that this is Kenny Dalglish. It's horrible to admit that he's failed. The only reasons the fans aren't crucifying, like they did Hodgson, is cos, well, he's King Kenny. Souness was a dead man walking once he sold his story to the Sun, so patience isn't infinite. If they give him one more season, he's in real danger of destroying everything. His signings show that he's out of touch with the game. Okay, maybe he's learned. Maybe. NOw senior players are basically speaking out, Kuyt giving out about the amount of games he's got (yeah, i know, he got about the amount of games he's worth) andf Skrtl saying he's not siging a new deal til the future is sorted, and that can't augur well for Kenny at all. They may know that they can say this shit because Kenny ain't long for this world.

Billy's right, LFC needs to let go of its own history. I thought once united won number 19 that would help. For too long it was "yeah you win thropies united, but you're never win 18....ooo eeer. Em, you'll never win 5 European CUps then" and what if they do? What next? You'll never win the Screen Sport Super Cup?

I dunno....i'm conflicted. Martinez...i dunno, it's almost impossible to judge him. Everytime he gets his team playing nice footy, you know about march, the team is dismantled close season for monies. He never has a regular goal scorer (Fanco Di Santo....enuf said), and he's done well with average players. But in november they looked like the worst team in the world.

SIGHZ.

That's all.

I said this when FSG took over, and it's still true. LFC needs a manager with good connections to an untapped market. The most important thing for a club like Liverpool (big name, big reputation, competitive, but not top level money) is to get value for spuds. That's what Benitez did with the then-undervalued Spanish market in 2004-07, just before they started winning everything, and we got Alonso, Arbeloa, Torres, Reina, Aurelio - all of whom were great value for money, and nearly won us the league.

Pardew's put a system in place at NUFC that has tapped up fantastic players from France (a few years in the international wilderness must make a big difference) and Germany. Instead we over-paid on the domestic market last year, and the returns are poor. Kenny's not to blame for not knowing about the likes of Cabaye and Cisse or whoever else, but the fact is he's never going to have that network or knowledge that gives that 'sabremetric' style value the owners should be looking for. Any fool could have chosen the players we signed and negotiated the same fees for them.

We need someone in the know. Is that Martinez? Maybe. Personally I still think Klopp is the man.

Well in fairness, Cabaye was the fulcrum of the French champions last year and Cisse was the second top scorer in the bundesliga, they were hardly completely out of left field purchases.

Yeah and everyone knew about Ben Arfa too, he and Nasri and Benzema all came through at the same time. But I think the point still stands, Newcastle's signings have given a much greater return on the outlay than other similarly priced players. There's a persistent idea that the French and German leagues aren't good indicators of quality for the Premier League, unless you are blindingly obviously good like Hazard.

Yeah and everyone knew about Ben Arfa too, he and Nasri and Benzema all came through at the same time. But I think the point still stands, Newcastle's signings have given a much greater return on the outlay than other similarly priced players. There's a persistent idea that the French and German leagues aren't good indicators of quality for the Premier League, unless you are blindingly obviously good like Hazard.

Aye, fair enough I guess.

ps I'm sayin KD's not to blame personally, but that the manager or at least director of football should be someone who did know about those players. he should have stepped aside last summer.

Am I the only one that didn't see that coming ?

Are you all worried that you're going to turn into Chelski V2.0? I.e get into the CL with a poor and aging side, without spending a lot or your out. I mean, they're hardly beating down the doors to take Di Mateos job and the shortlist when Kenny took over was fairly fucking short. In a way I'm sorry to see him go, the performances were okay from what I saw, they just didn't get enough end product, bad luck and Luis Suarez aside I thought he'd get the most out of his signings next season. And I'll kind of miss hating him, I mean as an Evertonian and all.

The angry reaction from the fans to Kenny's sacking means that the new boss is going to be starting on a dodgy footing straight away and you'd imagine that if the team loses a few opening games then the fans will turn on him even more and a repeat of the Roy Hodgson issue could happen and then continue to happen with further managers until they have to appease the fans by bringing back Bob Paisley's ghost.

You try to feel bad for these fans and then you see stuff like this

AtBomstCMAEA2SL.jpg

Am I the only one that didn't see that coming ?

Are you all worried that you're going to turn into Chelski V2.0? I.e get into the CL with a poor and aging side, without spending a lot or your out. I mean, they're hardly beating down the doors to take Di Mateos job and the shortlist when Kenny took over was fairly fucking short. In a way I'm sorry to see him go, the performances were okay from what I saw, they just didn't get enough end product, bad luck and Luis Suarez aside I thought he'd get the most out of his signings next season. And I'll kind of miss hating him, I mean as an Evertonian and all.

liverpool don't have an aging side. That core of successful egos at chelsea who think they run the club forced avb out. Thing is, there's no successful footballers at liverpool, so he'd be grand. If he gets the gig.

Carragher is old alright, and Kyut and Gerard seems to have the body of an old man too. Actually they do have a lot of players that seem a lot older than they actually are, (Agger Skyrtel etc) I guess they have just been there so long that I thought they were old. Point taken.

What I mean by the Chelski remark is that the target is CL football, but the squad is europa league standard (at the moment anyway, a lot of players do show signs that they can improve, Carroll in particular). If they fail they're fired what's required is cool heads.

would love for deschamps to get it. is he still not budging from from Marseilles? did he go for an interview after rafa got the sack? don't know anything about this klopp dude. AVB? no. dear god no. martinez on shortlist according to bbc just now. really unsure about him. don't know if managers that are really good at keeping shit teams afloat are what liverpool should be after...gonna be an interesting summer again anyway at the very least

Carragher is old alright, and Kyut and Gerard seems to have the body of an old man too. Actually they do have a lot of players that seem a lot older than they actually are, (Agger Skyrtel etc) I guess they have just been there so long that I thought they were old. Point taken.

What I mean by the Chelski remark is that the target is CL football, but the squad is europa league standard (at the moment anyway, a lot of players do show signs that they can improve, Carroll in particular). If they fail they're fired what's required is cool heads.
no one is saying that the squad isn't...pretty....thin on ...exceptional talent.

Some of those pricks might improve. they'd want to hurryteh fuck up.

Liverpool are now talking to Martinez. There's a disaster waiting to happen. Sure, we might manage to save ourselves from relegation with a week to spare, but is that progress?

would love for deschamps to get it. is he still not budging from from Marseilles? did he go for an interview after rafa got the sack? don't know anything about this klopp dude. AVB? no. dear god no. martinez on shortlist according to bbc just now. really unsure about him. don't know if managers that are really good at keeping shit teams afloat are what liverpool should be after...gonna be an interesting summer again anyway at the very least

why not avb?

There's a guy who was the most coveted manager in europe last year, and he should be building a lasting legacy at Chelsea, were it not for some pampered cunts who think they run the club and a rattle chucking billionaire five year old who owns the gaff and can't stand if you haven't won the fucking league by november. He was hailed as the new Mourinho, he's young, he's a winner, both domestically and in europe. He play progressive modern football. He knows the english game from his failed spell as manager and before that when he was chief scout for chelsea, and , one hopes, he must have copped on to teh fact that you can't expect instant change from a load of too-set in their way owlfellas. Softy, softly, AVB.

He wouldn't have looked at us this time last year. He probably won't now, but if he did, it would be a major coup. This time last year Aston VIlla were talking to Martinez. I mean, what's that about. he has a phiosophy he sticks too, he's kept a shit team with no budget in the league for a few years, he gets the odd result against a big team, he's never bothered the top half of the table. It might as well be TOny Pulis. I hear Steve Bruce is out of a job. Why not McLeish or McCarthy. If liverpool want to win something, they need a manager who fucking knows how to win things. Martinez is good in front of the camera, though. That's something else AVB lacks.. a bit of humility.

..and after all that, AVB wasn't liked by John Terry, Ashley Cole, Didier Drogba and the rst. That makes him a hero to me. The man who told the incredible sulk that is Nic Anelka he could fuck off to china? Legend. Some of the best managers in the world have gotten their marching orders from Abramhovich. It's hardly a black mark against him, more a rite of passage. At least it's out of his system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Activity
So far there's no one here
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

21 Day Calendar

Fixity/Meabh McKenna/Black Coral
Bello Bar
Portobello Harbour, Saint Kevin's, Dublin, Ireland
Meljoann with special guest Persona
The Workman's Cellar
8 Essex St E, Temple Bar, Dublin, D02 HT44, Ireland

Support thumped.com

Support thumped.com and upgrade your account

Upgrade your account now to disable all ads...

Upgrade now

Latest threads

Latest Activity

Loading…
Back